Blue screen after new build!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
So I just finish building a new system but it is unable to boot past the windows xp startup screen ( i am retaining my old hard drives but changed most of the parts except this hard drive and power supply ). Then I tried to boot in safe mode and its boots it right away. I type the dxdiag in the run, and I can see that my motherboard, cpu and ram are recognized. But still I am having this problem booting past the windows xp startup screen in normal mode. Can it be the power supply's problem because it is pretty old( around 4 to 5 years old and 400 watts).

system components:
cpu: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W( using the included fan of the cpu )
motherboard: ecs mcp61m-m3 v1.0a
hard drive: old one ( is working properly in my old system )
power supply: old and 400 watt ( doesn't have any system fan connector and speaker connector )
memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz Dual Channel 240 pin DDR3

Solution

If you can boot into Safe Mode you can use the support software DVD-ROM/CD-ROM that came with your motherboard package.

Another method that leaves all of your applications in place without having to re-install them is the Windows XP Repair Installation. It's not guaranteed to work but it has worked most of the time when I've used it.

The following instructions on how to perform a Windows XP Repair Installation is from Microsoft's website:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive...
If you look at the image that @OgCracKer posted that adapter has only four wires. That one only provides +5 Volts and +12 Volts.

If you look at the image that I posted you will see five wires. The orange wire is the one that will provide +3.3 Volts.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Thank you so much ko888 but can I ask one more question. Does my hard drive really needs the 3.3 volt ?( my hard drive -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_- )
If my hard drive doesn't need the orange wire( 3.3 volts ) and I have brought the connector with the orange wire ( 3.3 volt one ), will my hard drive still work?

Electrical Specifications for the WD5000AAKS shows that it only uses +12 Volt DC and +5 Volt DC.

If you have purchased the 5-wire adapter already there is no harm in using it. The hard disk drive won't have any electrical connection to the +3.3 Volt pins in the SATA power connector so it will be ignored.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Thank you so much for the help, now I finally installed my os but my system doesn't have any sound. I have installed the sound driver and when I tested my speaker, no sound is coming out. Maybe I didn't connect the wire correctly in the motherboard. What is the main connector and wire I am suppose to use for the sound? And i don't seem to have the spk power cable for my motherboard, can that be the problem? When I finish installing my sound driver, it said audio failed but I checked my device manager, and it said my sound driver is working properly.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

For some reason, now I tried the green port at the front of my pc, ther are sound coming out but when I try the port on the back, no sound again?