Blue screen after new build!!!

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
So I just finish building a new system but it is unable to boot past the windows xp startup screen ( i am retaining my old hard drives but changed most of the parts except this hard drive and power supply ). Then I tried to boot in safe mode and its boots it right away. I type the dxdiag in the run, and I can see that my motherboard, cpu and ram are recognized. But still I am having this problem booting past the windows xp startup screen in normal mode. Can it be the power supply's problem because it is pretty old( around 4 to 5 years old and 400 watts).

system components:
cpu: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W( using the included fan of the cpu )
motherboard: ecs mcp61m-m3 v1.0a
hard drive: old one ( is working properly in my old system )
power supply: old and 400 watt ( doesn't have any system fan connector and speaker connector )
memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz Dual Channel 240 pin DDR3

Solution

If you can boot into Safe Mode you can use the support software DVD-ROM/CD-ROM that came with your motherboard package.

Another method that leaves all of your applications in place without having to re-install them is the Windows XP Repair Installation. It's not guaranteed to work but it has worked most of the time when I've used it.

The following instructions on how to perform a Windows XP Repair Installation is from Microsoft's website:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive...

OgCracKer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Did you do a fresh Install of XP? If you didn't I would recommend doing that first. If you did a fresh install try ko888 suggestion while in safe mode. What brand of PSU do have?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

No I didn't do that yet. So the problem is that my os doesn't recognize my motherboard because I didn't install a driver for it yet? By the way, I have the driver disc
too, can I just that? Do I install the drivers through safe mode?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

But if I do a fresh install of windows then everything will be deleted right? Btw I saw there are 3 jusb on my motherboard but I only have one connector for it. Does it matter which one I used for the connector? I have choosen the first one( jusb 1)

If you can boot into Safe Mode you can use the support software DVD-ROM/CD-ROM that came with your motherboard package.

Another method that leaves all of your applications in place without having to re-install them is the Windows XP Repair Installation. It's not guaranteed to work but it has worked most of the time when I've used it.

The following instructions on how to perform a Windows XP Repair Installation is from Microsoft's website:

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP Setup CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Once the setup has completed install the drivers from the support software DVD-ROM/CD-ROM that came with your motherboard package.

Solution

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I am planning to install a new windows ( window 7 ) on a new hard drive and use the old hard drive as the slave drive. Can I still access the data in my old hard drive in this way? Do I still have to install drivers for the old hard drive if I do it this way?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

But how can I get two hard drive to work in my system such as do I have to do anythings in the bios in order for it to work?

You have to be more clear in your explanation of what you are trying to achieve.

Are you talking about a dual-boot system?

Do you only want to boot from the new hard disk drive?

Do you want the choice of being able to boot from the new hard disk drive or the old hard disk drive?

Are you getting rid of Windows XP all together?

If you want the new SATA hard disk drive to be the first drive in the hard disk drive boot order you will have to go into the BIOS setup and make some changes.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I'm sorry. I just want to boot from the new hard drive ( windows 7 ) only and able to access the my old hard drive data and I dont want to delete anything in old hard drive including my windows xp.

Disconnect the old hardisk drive's data/ribbon cable before you attempt to install Windows 7.

After the Windows 7 installation has completed power down the system and reconnect the old hard disk drive's data/ribbon cable.

When you power on the system immediately go into the BIOS setup and change the boot order:

CMOS Setup Utility main menu --> Advanced Setup --> Hard Disk Drives (Press Enter)

On this screen you select 1st Drive and use the + or - keys to step through the available boot devices. Just make sure the new hard disk drive is the drive selected/displayed for this entry.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Don't I have to make one of them a master drive and one of them a slave drive first? How can I do that?

How many devices do you have connected to the IDE ribbon cable?

I haven't seen you mention anything about a CD/DVD drive in any of your replies. If you have a CD/DVD drive is it an IDE device or is it a SATA device?

Master/Slave only applies to IDE devices. Whether the device is considered a master or slave device is determined by the jumper setting on the device itself. The device can be jumpered as a Master or Slave or CS (Cable Select). If you have two IDE devices one must be a master device and the other must be a slave device.

With the CS (Cable Select) jumper setting the device's position on the IDE ribbon cable determines whether the device is a master (end of the IDE ribbon cable usually color coded black) or a slave (middle of the IDE ribbon cable usually color coded gray). The blue connector on the IDE ribbon cable is connected to the motherboard.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

both of my hard drives are sata so does that mean I don't need to set the jumper? my dvd drive is ide.

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I just found out that my new hard drive doesn't have the 4 pin peripheral power connector. Does that mean my my hard drive is defected? It is a SATA-3G hard drive and all my hard drive has that 4 pin connector.

OgCracKer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
If your PSU doesn't have the new SATA HDD power connection you can use an adapter.

gQlz2H97Gm0Qm8Jw7dqjPArSZF55K7U6D8C1sv69x6WtevswCCuXZTaGgsy98mIdoaV_22hWJWDEm6jBvO1-irfcSNAokhoyn-cBG851OqpAbIKACb35tMuJpCRNF74NeHfsMYFb8g

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

But I have read this from this site: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

"You have to be careful about SATA power cables. Some of them are missing the 3.3 volt wire. People with older power supplies often use adapters which convert from 4 pin peripheral cables to SATA power cables. But since 4 pin peripheral connectors only supply 5 and 12 volts, the SATA connector is missing 3.3 volts (there's no orange wire). There are also a few older power supplies which inexplicably have SATA power cables which are missing the 3.3 volt wire. Currently, SATA drives rarely use 3.3 volts. That may be because there are too many people using adapters so the drive makers don't want the headaches which come with using 3.3 volts. But in the future, 3.3 volt drives may become common so you need to be careful when using SATA power cables which don't implement 3.3 volts."

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Brand: VPower
model: LC-8400BTX

It is a 400 watt psu and it specifics "For Pentium4".

It's a bargain brand power supply made by L&C Computer Co.

Deer Computer Co. Ltd is the umbrella company for Apex/Allied, Austin, Deer, L&C, Solytech, Supercase brands.

For those that remember Deer power supplies were infamous for dying in spectacular fashion and they would take out connected components along with them.

Model: LC-8400BTX
Type: 24 pin ATX
Output: 400W
Compatibility: P4
Dimensions: 3.25"H x 5.875"W x 5.5"D

Cable Connectors:
1 x 20/24 Pin Motherboard Power cable
1 x 4 pin ATX +12 volt CPU power cable
1 x 6 Pin Auxiliary Power cable
2 x 4 Pin Berg Connector for 3.5" Floppy Drive
5 x 4 Pin Molex Peripheral Power Cable

Output Rails:
+3.3V: 20A
+5V: 14A
+12V1: 14A
+12V2: 13A
-12V: 0.3A
+5VSB: 2.5A

+5V & +3.3V combined load 130W
+5V & +3.3V & +12V combined load 385W

Input Efficiency 65% at full load, nominal line

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Does this mean my power supply supports 3.3 volt and i can use the SATA power adapter? So I don't need to be afraid of this :

"You have to be careful about SATA power cables. Some of them are missing the 3.3 volt wire. People with older power supplies often use adapters which convert from 4 pin peripheral cables to SATA power cables. But since 4 pin peripheral connectors only supply 5 and 12 volts, the SATA connector is missing 3.3 volts (there's no orange wire). There are also a few older power supplies which inexplicably have SATA power cables which are missing the 3.3 volt wire. Currently, SATA drives rarely use 3.3 volts. That may be because there are too many people using adapters so the drive makers don't want the headaches which come with using 3.3 volts. But in the future, 3.3 volt drives may become common so you need to be careful when using SATA power cables which don't implement 3.3 volts."

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

If I am planning to buy one of these from a computer hardware store around my house( I really need it by next day ), how can I know if the adapter I am getting is like this, that can support 3.3 volt and has the sliced orange wire?