[SOLVED] Blue screen after putting my old video card back in. Help? (Photos inside)

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I am preparing to build a new PC and move my current GTX 1060 into my new build. I wanted my current build to still work as a backup, so I put my old video card, a GTX 560, back into my current PC. However, now I am getting a blue screen. I'm confused because I used this GTX 560 in my PC until March, when I bought the GTX 1060. Why is this happening?

Here's what I see, in order: View: https://imgur.com/a/HCQKMTZ

(Luckily, putting my GTX 1060 back in does work - although I did get a checksum screen and Windows 7 booted slowly. But I want the 560 to work. Googling this issue or the blue screen message isn't helping me find any solutions. Please help!)

Solution
Having this problem on your computer fully indicates that your windows operating system having some trouble to proceed one or more of your system's process.

Your GTX 560 drivers support stopped in 2018. If you did not uninstall the drivers for your GTX 1060 before putting the 560 in then Windows will freak out.
Having this problem on your computer fully indicates that your windows operating system having some trouble to proceed one or more of your system's process.

Your GTX 560 drivers support stopped in 2018. If you did not uninstall the drivers for your GTX 1060 before putting the 560 in then Windows will freak out.

Solution

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
edit: I just needed to remove the 1060 driver. THANK YOU!

I see the GTX 1060 driver in my display adapters in my device manager. Should I just remove that driver and roll back the driver called Intel(R) HD Graphics Family? Or should I look for GTX 560 drivers and also install those?

(I know it sounds stupid, but I just don't want to put myself in a situation where neither GPU will work, lol. Thank you for responding!)

Last edited:
edit: I just needed to remove the 1060 driver. THANK YOU!

I see the GTX 1060 driver in my display adapters in my device manager. Should I just remove that driver and roll back the driver called Intel(R) HD Graphics Family? Or should I look for GTX 560 drivers and also install those?

(I know it sounds stupid, but I just don't want to put myself in a situation where neither GPU will work, lol. Thank you for responding!)

Don't worry about uninstalling your GPU drivers. Windows does have standard display drivers used when you don't install any.

- Uninstall the "Nvidia Display Drivers" using Windows ADD/REMOVE programs.

- Shutdown and install the 560.

- If Windows load correctly this time install - https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/132845/en-us

- Reboot.

Let me know if this worked.

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Don't worry about uninstalling your GPU drivers. Windows does have standard display drivers used when you don't install any.

- Uninstall the "Nvidia Display Drivers" using Windows ADD/REMOVE programs.

- Shutdown and install the 560.

- If Windows load correctly this time install - https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/132845/en-us

- Reboot.

Let me know if this worked.
I went ahead and uninstalled the 1060 drivers, swapped the cards, turned it on, and it booted fine. Downloaded the drivers for 560, rebooted, and everything is back to normal. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help me!

Pretty sad that this wasn't even the first step for my new build and I already ran into problems, lol. I'm going to actually start to work on my new PC, so wish me luck! I'll apparently need it. ;)

I went ahead and uninstalled the 1060 drivers, swapped the cards, turned it on, and it booted fine. Downloaded the drivers for 560, rebooted, and everything is back to normal. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help me!

Pretty sad that this wasn't even the first step for my new build and I already ran into problems, lol. I'm going to actually start to work on my new PC, so wish me luck! I'll apparently need it. ;)

Glad it worked! You were lucky. This isn't something hard to fix and this isn't hardware breaking or failing. I'm happy I can help. Have fun building your new PC. I can't wait to build mine next week! :D

littlecupcake

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
P.S. Great news, my build went off without a hitch! The memory seemed to be clocking slow, but I figured out how to enable XMP in my BIOS and fixed it. Now it's running like a dream. Good luck with your build next week!