[SOLVED] Blue screen after upgrading CPU

Feb 2, 2020
I upgraded my CPU from an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 to Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550s. After booting up the system it was still showing the old CPU. From Intel I added a tool so windows would recognize the new CPU, which partially worked. It got regcognized but only two cores were showing/used..

I read somewhere to uncheck the "use cores at startup" in msconfig and a blue screen showed up after booting. I tried to reset windows 10 to factory settings, which failed and am now running system recovery which is running already some time now and feel is going to fail as well..

Luckily I have a back-up of my system, so as a last resort I could swap the CPU's again, since the core speeds of the E7500 are a bit higher. But I would like to use the quad core of course.. I was thinking to use the back-up and immediately reinstall windows 10. Would that work or does somebody have some other advice? According to the manufactorer the CPU should be supported, but I doubt their expertise a bit, since they also said there isn't a BIOS update while there are newer versions.

Solution
I was thinking the same.. it also gets past the boot screen, so I don't think the bios would be the issue. Let me give it another try tomorrow and update you after.
You know I just thought of this--boot a linux livecd and see if that works fine. If it does, then it's just windows that is being a problem. I'd mess with your current windows install with the intention of restoring from your back and just doing the steps that fixed the issue. Whatever you do, don't delete or alter your backup because at this point it's your only working copy.
Feb 2, 2020
If you were able to boot after the cpu upgrade, the new cpu will work. However, windows 10 may not recognize it correctly. (This never happened in earlier versions so I have no idea how MS messed that up. :rolleyes:)

I was thinking the same.. it also gets past the boot screen, so I don't think the bios would be the issue. Let me give it another try tomorrow and update you after.

You know I just thought of this--boot a linux livecd and see if that works fine. If it does, then it's just windows that is being a problem. I'd mess with your current windows install with the intention of restoring from your back and just doing the steps that fixed the issue. Whatever you do, don't delete or alter your backup because at this point it's your only working copy.

Solution
Feb 2, 2020
The pc is an acer aspire z5610, please find more details here:

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-...e-core-2-duo-e7500-2-93-ghz-4-gb-1-tb-lcd-23/

In the meanwhile the back-up got cloned and the bluescreen disappeared, I checked the BIOS for enabling multiple cores, but options are very limited and couldn't find such an option. The CPU this time got recognized without installing anything, but this was as a Q9550 instead of a Q9550s but still only two cores are showing up. (don't know if this would make a big difference)

Changes were never made to the BIOS, so should/can I still clear the CMOS?

I know that there are versions that have quad cores so I feel it should be possible to run all four cores.. I hesitate to retry to uncheck the "numbers of cores" again..

Feb 23, 2020
The pc is an acer aspire z5610, please find more details here:

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-...e-core-2-duo-e7500-2-93-ghz-4-gb-1-tb-lcd-23/

In the meanwhile the back-up got cloned and the bluescreen disappeared, I checked the BIOS for enabling multiple cores, but options are very limited and couldn't find such an option. The CPU this time got recognized without installing anything, but this was as a Q9550 instead of a Q9550s but still only two cores are showing up. (don't know if this would make a big difference)

Changes were never made to the BIOS, so should/can I still clear the CMOS?

I know that there are versions that have quad cores so I feel it should be possible to run all four cores.. I hesitate to retry to uncheck the "numbers of cores" again..
you should clear the cmos
your pc is an all in one pc and it will support only 65w tdp cpu not 95w like the q9550 so you can get bsod because the mainboard vrm cant suplly enough power
and sorry for my bad english

Feb 2, 2020
your pc is an all in one pc and it will support only 65w tdp cpu not 95w like the q9550 so you can get bsod because the mainboard vrm cant suplly enough power

The CPU is a Q9550s but gets recognized as a Q9550. I assume this is because they are quite similar..

But!! Resetting windows did actually do the the trick and is now showing 4 cores!

Thanks all for replying to this thread!! (So happy)

Reactions: asrockfatality213