Blue Screen and how to read dump file

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
To read a minidump you first need to translate it into English - that's done using the dumpchk utility. It's a command line utility you can download from Microsoft. There's a quick description at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315271/ (also tells you where to download it).

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
that also for windows 7? should have stated i use windows 7 64 bit

i see it says xp alot there but not other versions

why does microsoft put a file you need a utility for but not the utility.. o wait.. its microsoft

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
There is a version of the minidump utility which works with Windows 7 minidumps. I am not sure if it's the same one.

If you analyse the minidump you can discover the executable in which the crash occurred. Last time I was having constant crashes I checked three minidumps and discovered that each crash was in the video driver. Downloading an updated video driver fixed my problem.

So you can definitely get value from the minidump.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Bluescreen view by NirSoft will read the dunpfiles for any Windows OS, If the stop code is random then you want to run verifier.exe to find out the real cause of the errors.

To run verifier.exe in Windows and create custom settings, then select individual settings from list, then select all except low resource simulation; the select automatically select unsigned drivers, the let it select all unsigned drivers and restart the system. Then when you receive a BSOD it should provide you with the real reason you are receiving BSOD.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

So you suggest using Bluescreen View by NirSoft to see what the codes are saying.. then if the stop code is generic or random use verifier.exe to check it out?

making sure i understand correctly.

I can pretty much cause the Blue screen at will. Bit of background, I had a psu that was going bad and causing all sorts of crashes and black screens, blue screens, and random craziness. Everything looked like it was a video card, but verified with different vid cards and different drivers it was not that. I suspected next a mobo, but somebody mentioned they got some random craziness from a bad psu. I swapped psu, and the computer ran fine for the most part. Since the computer and crashed alot while the psu was going bad, I did have do another roll back on settings to make sure everything was good, then had to re update anti-virus etc.

The only problem I seemed to have is when I would try and play World of Warcraft, the launcher would come up and I would hit play. Problem is that half the time nothing happened from there. I looked at task manager and the the launcher said it was still active and couldnt run the launcher at all. (i could still play the game by simply running the executable file from warcraft folder). Eventually sometimes the launcher would launch warcraft as a second version, but more often than not it would just hang.

If i went into task manager and ended the process, EVERY TIME i would get a blue screen. If i left it alone, computer worked fine, until i went to shut down. When i shutdown, I would get a blue screen. I am guessing that is because upon shutdown the computer was ending the launcher process.

Not sure if it could be related to a firewall? or maybe my K1 card's software? if it could be related to a video driver although I have the latest ones and they actually work better than older as they should.

While i suspect its the launcher, trying to verify and then how to fix it