Blue Screen and Power

derby_john

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hello,

I have built a new pc for myself on the first of Jan, and since then it has been working fine, but recently, within the last week my pc has been acting strange, it has blue screen twice, which has never happened before, and one time it wouldnt turn on at all, my fan led's and the led's on my motherboard would just flash quickly once and then nothing would happen but the led's for the power and reset buttons located on my motherboard were constantly on.
can somebody give me a clue why my pc has only just now started to do this?

also something else rather interesting is, no matter what driver i use for my graphics card, when i look under device manager, it says the signature of what ever it is may be damaged / corrupted or malicious. so to get my driver working so my graphics card works i have to go to internet options and allow my pc to run drivers no matter how they are signed.

here is my build.

motherboard - Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3
cpu - intel core i5-2300 @ 2.80GHz
ram - 4 x 4gigs mushkin enhanced blackline memory
graphics card - Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 Gigabyte super overclock
psu - arctic power 700W
case - antec 900
HDD's - 1 x 640GB and 1 x 2TB western digital
one average CD drive
one average media expansion bay

I think thats it....
any help is greatly appreciated !!!

you may have damaged windows from the ps dropping out. with your anti virus check that it still updating itself..they do expire.
if it a year old think about downloaded the newer version. (vendor change the engines or code do to virus writers after awile know how to get around some or all virus scanners). i would download a ps tester program and run memtest to check your ram.
hopfully one of the tests will pinpoint what failing.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Not that familiar with your brand of PSU so I don't know if that could be a problem or not. Did you try removing your GPU, operate using your on-board graphics, and completely uninstall your NVidia drivers? If not then try that and then install these:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-296.10-whql-driver.html
Then replace your 460. The above assumes you are using windows 7 if not get the proper version for your setup.
If you're getting errors in device manager then I believe there is a driver conflict somewhere and it's not a hardware issue. You are one of the bright ones who bought a motherboard and a cpu that allows you to do the above easily. :)

derby_john

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Ok so I turn my pc off to pop to the shop now it wont start up at all. Just constant blue screen. I took the graphics cadd out and plugged only one monitor into the mobo but I got the same bluescreen error. So I tried taking out the ram and putting it back but that made no difference. According to my mobo there isnt any hardware issues otherwise they led's should light up and inform me. Which they havnt. So a friend advised me to reinstall windows incase a file is damaged or missing. Trying that out at the moment. Will post back in a few mins.

Sorry for any mistakes. Having to use my phone to reply on here.
also when I tried to edit my post it said I wasnt allowed. Sorry for double posting

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Never saw a blue screen for a PSU issue. Not saying it's not possible but I doubt it. Now while your PSU isn't listed under those most highly recommended I'm quite sure 700 watts is enough for your system. I still feel it is a Windows and or driver issue. Did you pull your CMOS battery and re-set your bios? Try that and try booting from your disk with your HDD disconnected.

derby_john

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

I haven't done this but i disconnected my PC from all power for 10 minutes and then reconnected it and it seemed to work, i booted from CD and re installed windows, all seems fine at the moment how ever, my graphics driver still has the same issue, I also followed what was stated before, and downloaded the same driver from the link provided, i also installed avast free before doing so.

this issue is confusing my greatly.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Okay! We're getting somewhere. You're on the right track. The graphics conflict will be caused if you have old drivers present and they are "fighting" with the new drivers. That's why I suggested removing all old drivers. Thumbs Up! :)

derby_john

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Ok then, so if its old drivers, where are they if I have done a fresh install of windows? does windows have graphics drivers hidden somewhere? so I can uninstall them. would this be caused by the on board graphics ?