[SOLVED] Blue screen boot error 0xc0000098, Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2020
For about a year now I have been getting a Boot Error 0xc0000098 when I do a cold start of my desktop computer (Windows 10 64 bit). I have been able to do updates, but not the new Windows 10 update (computer has tried several times). "Troubleshoot" doesn't help; we've tried using a Windows 10 Recovery disk (keeping my files and settings) and that failed.

I CAN get the computer started by choosing the "Continue: Exit and continue to Windows 10" option.

I've tried a number of things, even got a program EasyBCD 2.4 - but am not enough of an expert to dare to TRY it, not being sure it won't mess something ELSE up. Chkdsk/f C: did fix something (it didn't tell me what) and for awhile I thought it was fixed, but no....back to the same old same old.

Suggestions?

Colif

Win 10 Master
Did you look at the help for EasyBCD?

seems they try to push another program of theirs to fix that error - https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc0000098/

Reactions: xenthia
Dec 3, 2020
I have looked at their help, but this page (at least) seems to be aimed at Windows 7, 8, and XP - I have 10. I'm willing to fork over $20 for their other program, but meanwhile I think I've found a "Repair Disc" I made in April 2019 - that just might do the trick! We'll see, and I'll try to remember to let you know.

Dec 3, 2020
I have looked at their help, but this page (at least) seems to be aimed at Windows 7, 8, and XP - I have 10. I'm willing to fork over $20 for their other program, but meanwhile I think I've found a "Repair Disc" I made in April 2019 - that just might do the trick! We'll see, and I'll try to remember to let you know.
i only suggested program as you mentioned it. I would have suggested commands but i can bet program just uses same ones but with a pretty interface.

IN the past I have suggested this - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508
That looks VERY promising, thank you very much! (I've only been working on this off and on for about a year....)

Dec 3, 2020
Colif, thank you very much for your suggestion. As it turned out, I had a simpler option than any of these: I use Macrium Reflect, and they have a "Repair boot problems" option if you make a bootable USB stick and log in from that.

After all my struggles (for about a year), fixing it was a shocking (but magnificently welcome) non-event - didn't take but a second!

Dec 3, 2020
Thank you all very much. It turned out that I had an easier way to solve it than any of these; I use Macrium Reflect, and if you make a bootable USB stick and start the computer with that, there is an option to "Fix boot problems" - you click on that, make sure everything looks ok, click the equivalent of "Go" - and BINGO! a problem of a year's standing is suddenly gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS