[SOLVED] Blue screen boot error 0xc0000098, Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2020
For about a year now I have been getting a Boot Error 0xc0000098 when I do a cold start of my desktop computer (Windows 10 64 bit). I have been able to do updates, but not the new Windows 10 update (computer has tried several times). "Troubleshoot" doesn't help; we've tried using a Windows 10 Recovery disk (keeping my files and settings) and that failed.

I CAN get the computer started by choosing the "Continue: Exit and continue to Windows 10" option.

I've tried a number of things, even got a program EasyBCD 2.4 - but am not enough of an expert to dare to TRY it, not being sure it won't mess something ELSE up. Chkdsk/f C: did fix something (it didn't tell me what) and for awhile I thought it was fixed, but no....back to the same old same old.

Suggestions?

Solution
Thank you all very much. It turned out that I had an easier way to solve it than any of these; I use Macrium Reflect, and if you make a bootable USB stick and start the computer with that, there is an option to "Fix boot problems" - you click on that, make sure everything looks ok, click the equivalent of "Go" - and BINGO! a problem of a year's standing is suddenly gone!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you look at the help for EasyBCD?

seems they try to push another program of theirs to fix that error - https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc0000098/

Reactions: xenthia
Dec 3, 2020
I have looked at their help, but this page (at least) seems to be aimed at Windows 7, 8, and XP - I have 10. I'm willing to fork over $20 for their other program, but meanwhile I think I've found a "Repair Disc" I made in April 2019 - that just might do the trick! We'll see, and I'll try to remember to let you know.

Dec 3, 2020
I have looked at their help, but this page (at least) seems to be aimed at Windows 7, 8, and XP - I have 10. I'm willing to fork over $20 for their other program, but meanwhile I think I've found a "Repair Disc" I made in April 2019 - that just might do the trick! We'll see, and I'll try to remember to let you know.
i only suggested program as you mentioned it. I would have suggested commands but i can bet program just uses same ones but with a pretty interface.

IN the past I have suggested this - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508
That looks VERY promising, thank you very much! (I've only been working on this off and on for about a year....)

Dec 3, 2020
Colif, thank you very much for your suggestion. As it turned out, I had a simpler option than any of these: I use Macrium Reflect, and they have a "Repair boot problems" option if you make a bootable USB stick and log in from that.

After all my struggles (for about a year), fixing it was a shocking (but magnificently welcome) non-event - didn't take but a second!

Dec 3, 2020
Thank you all very much. It turned out that I had an easier way to solve it than any of these; I use Macrium Reflect, and if you make a bootable USB stick and start the computer with that, there is an option to "Fix boot problems" - you click on that, make sure everything looks ok, click the equivalent of "Go" - and BINGO! a problem of a year's standing is suddenly gone!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS