Blue Screen, Crash, Grey Monitors after waking from Sleep

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
Everytime I wake my computer from sleep, the monitors take forever to display an image. The image will usually come on after 15-20 seconds, but most recently the screens come on completely grey and then the computer crashes and a blue screen is displayed. I've gotten the blue screen twice in the last 24 hours and this morning the computer completely rebooted on its own as it was attempting to wake from sleep. I ran WhoCrashed and this is what I got:

On Fri 11/10/2017 8:08:58 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111017-4187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x163960)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFF9E0028F67000, 0xFFFFFE89881EE5D0, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 11/10/2017 8:08:58 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFF9E0028F67000, 0xFFFFFE89881EE5D0, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Can someone help please? I'm assuming my RAM is going bad. At first, I thought it was a dying GPU but now I don't know what is causing my computer to crash so much.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fy3fNN

Windows 10 - 64 Bit
Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus - MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card
Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Every time I use my computer the mother board key code would always say "AO" which to my understanding from the user manual means "A-Ok!" and that everything is working correctly. This morning, my code is "30" which according to the manual means Sleep State 3. I've never experienced this code or know what to do with this code.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

How do I do that? I'm using the free version of WhoCrashed. I can't do anything with the dump files unless it's the Pro version.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

I do have an outlook account which works with onedrive, but I just don't have access to the file because i'm not an "administrator" when it's MY computer so I'm getting frustrated.

I'm currently downloading the Windows Debugger for Windows 10 in hopes I can access the minidump folder and file. There's only 1 file in that folder.

To access the file as "administrator" all you need to do is right-click the file and choose the "Run as administrator" option.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

When I'm in the minidump folder, there's no option to "run as administrator"

Look over this link;
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

I watched a YouTube video on how to use the Windbg.exe on my computer and according the video it came up as Module_name and Image_name: "hardware_disk". Does this mean my HDD or SSD is going bad?

There's so much going on in that link and im way overwhelmed with all this crap that I don't know what to do or where to start anymore. LOL

THIS IS WHAT WINDOWSDBG CAME BACK WITH:
https://pastebin.com/AXsu4QQw

I was going to let Paul NZ interpret the minidump file he asked for, but since he has not answered yet i'll give my opinion.

My guess is your machine is fine, but the Windows 10 sleep function is not working properly. You should just avoid using it.

In Sleep Mode Windows places any open documents and applications into memory while the computer goes into a low-power state. At one point the minidump log says "The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error". In other words Sleep Mode failed to work as it should, so your PC could not wake up from Sleep Mode afterwords, and just crashed.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

That makes a lot of sense! The computer works perfectly fine after it restarts and or I restart it. I'm starting to think one of my hard drives may be going bad. Would a clean install of windows and new SSD/HDD solve my problem? I don't want to go through that hassle but will if I need to. I can't stand my computer not waking up properly from sleep. I constantly put my computer into sleep mode when I'm done using it.

Update: I did a Memtest of my ram and it passed the test, no errors. So that rules out the memory going bad. What would cause my computer to actually crash crash? Not waking up properly? And why would the Windows Debugging program come back with hardware_disk? Does that mean my SSD or HDD is failing?

I think Sleep Mode gives a lot of people problems. It's really more for laptops that need to save battery power, not desktops.

If your worried one of your hard drives is starting to fail, download a program called Hard Disk Sentinel. It will analyze the health of the HDD's in your system to see if they have any bad sectors and are starting to fail. I've used it for years.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

I downloaded the program. It says that both my SSD and HDD are 100% health and 32-35*C. So if it's not the HDD/SSD and the computer works perfectly fine after reboots/power-ons, it must be something with the Operating System. I feel like windows screwed something up with the waking up/going to sleep process. I ran a Windows SFC /scannow and the Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I would uninstall AI suite it's a known cause of crashes

I would update your Intel LAN drivers. Possible this file farflt.sys is causing this crash. It looks like it can. It belongs to Malwarebytes

This file is 3 yrs old I2cHkBurn.sys - FINTEK Corp. FitGpBus Device Driver. If you use it, update it

Your webcam drivers lvuvc64.sys are 5 yrs old. Does it support Windows 10?

SiUSBXp.sys is 7 yrs old. It may belong to USBXpress.. May pay to update them

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

I don't even know what AI suite is... I don't have AI Suite in my control panel nor do I have any recognition what this is.
I don't even know how to update my LAN drivers or what any of those other drivers are. What the heck.
My webcam is the Logitech C920. I assume it supports windows 10.
No idea what USB express is either.. Please help ugh.

Update: I've uninstalled MSI Gaming App which the l2chkburn.sys file was found under.

Don't panic. You don't need any deep technical skills to do this.

1. AI Suite should be located in your Start menu under "Start > Programs > Asus > AI Suite", then choose Uninstall. [although if you never run AI Suit, i don't think it can be causing any problems]

2. All your drivers are located in "Control Panel > Device Manager". Look for any yellow warning signs. If you don't see any, then Windows has not found any driver issues. Your drivers should be fine.

If your worried about USBXpress and your Logitech C920 webcam specifically, they both should be located in Control Panel.

- USBXpress is located under "Control Panel > Universal Serial Bus controllers". Right-click USBXpress and select "Update Driver Software...", then choose "Search Automatically".
- Logitech C920 webcam should be located [i don't have the device myself] under "Control Panel > Imaging devices". Right-click Logitech C920 and select "Update Driver Software...", then choose "Search Automatically".