Blue Screen, Crash, Grey Monitors after waking from Sleep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
Everytime I wake my computer from sleep, the monitors take forever to display an image. The image will usually come on after 15-20 seconds, but most recently the screens come on completely grey and then the computer crashes and a blue screen is displayed. I've gotten the blue screen twice in the last 24 hours and this morning the computer completely rebooted on its own as it was attempting to wake from sleep. I ran WhoCrashed and this is what I got:

On Fri 11/10/2017 8:08:58 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111017-4187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x163960)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFF9E0028F67000, 0xFFFFFE89881EE5D0, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 11/10/2017 8:08:58 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFF9E0028F67000, 0xFFFFFE89881EE5D0, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Can someone help please? I'm assuming my RAM is going bad. At first, I thought it was a dying GPU but now I don't know what is causing my computer to crash so much.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

As far as AI Suite goes.. I don't see that anywhere in my control panel nor in my programs list. I have no idea where those files are located. There are no yellow triangles on my device manager for driver updates, however I manually right clicked on every USB controller device under that section, updated and installed whatever Windows thought was the best driver for one of the things. The webcam driver was already up to date and current. I have also been avoiding using the sleep function. I was on Microsoft help all day yesterday with different agents trying to figure this crap out. Tried so many different things, yet the computer still crashed. I'm thinking about completely wiping my hard drives and doing a fresh install.

The only other place to look for AI Suite is under "Control Panel > Programs and Features". If it's not listed there, you don't have it installed on your machine. And if you are not using the sleep function and it's still crashing, then it's not Sleep Mode that's causing the problem.

A few more questions;

1. How long has it been since you first installed Windows?
2. When is the last time you did a virus scan?
3. When is the last time you did a scan for malware?
4. Have you ever attempted to clean the registry using a program like CCleaner?

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

1. When I first built my computer last year at school. So around september - december of 2016.
2. Virus scan today.
3. Malware scan today.
4. No I have not.

As long as you don't install and uninstall a lot of programs, one year is not very long. You should not need to reinstall Windows.

I'm not familiar with how this works in Windows 10, but with a Windows 7 install DVD the first option you are given is, "Do you want to do a clean install of Windows or repair a current version of Windows already installed?" Did Microsoft Support suggest any repair option similar to that?

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

I don't particularly install/uninstall programs a lot. One year shouldn't be an issue whatsoever! But there's clearly something going on. When I was with Microsoft Support, they had me update my windows 10 to some newest form or whatever that the tech had access to because they're getting reports and glitches of this crap happening. So first, they had me update, it failed with an error, the tech did something and we tried to update again; problem still persisted. Then the next tech had me rollback to a "working" previous update and I still had the problem. Then the third tech was messing with services and random stuff I don't even know about, had me boot into safe mode and then we got disconnected. So I have NO idea what they were doing. Then I ran out of time and needed my computer out of safe mode and back to normal because it was late and I was over all this crap.

Malwarebytes is coming back with a threat that fails to be removed. It's called PUP.Optional.ASK under C:\Users\schul\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\USER DATA\Default\Secure Preferences

You sound like your about to have a meltdown. I can sympathize, i've been there. As for Microsoft tech support, the people who work there don't necessarily know anything about computers. Most are just running through the various steps listed in a troubleshooting manual Microsoft gives them. Some know less about computers than the people they are trying to help.

For your problem, the only thing i have left to suggest is type msconfig into the taskbar to get the "System Configuration" tool. In the "Startup" tab, go through all the items that you have starting up when Windows boots and turn off any you don't need, or at least that you don't need to start every time Windows boots. You could also go through your "Programs and Features" menu again and uninstall any programs you know you don't need.

Apart from that i have no more ideas other than completely reinstalling Windows. Something i haven't done for years because i'm just too lazy to bother.

This file AsIO.sys and this file AsUpIO.sys are ASUS drivers/files

Is AIcharger or PC Probe installed?? I think Pc Probe has another name, but I have no idea what it's called now. It monitors fan speeds etc

Asio.sys can cause the crash youre getting

WHAT ASUS utilities did you install?

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

I do not have either of those programs installed. I have most recently installed the Sonic Studio audio driver stuff with Realtek HD or whatever, but that was today. As far as other ASUS utilities, I don't have much installed. I'm going to probably end up wiping my computer clean and starting fresh most likely, I think.

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
UPDATE: I have freshly installed windows 10 on the computer and redownloaded all necessary programs that I use. Anything that I don't use or need I will not download. With that being said...

Paul and Rocktalkrock, Thank you guys for all the help and advice you guys have provided me with! I appreciate it. After the countless number of Microsoft Windows technicians I went through, the easiest thing to do was reinstall windows and update it. It seems to be running how it's intended, but we will see later tonight when I put my computer to sleep.

Cool avoid installing any of the utils for any mobo. All they do is crash windows. That includes easytune, on/ff charge for Gigabyte mobo

AI suite, Aicharger for ASUS.

And whatever the other mobos have (MSI) that do the same thing. One is Afterburner.

Some of them also give you the option to install Daemontools Pro as well. Which I would also avoid. This is also a known cause of crashes

I dont know why most of them let you install this rubbish. They should all know by now, that they crash systems

baseballrocks14619

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017

The only thing I have tried to download from the ASUS motherboard drivers was the chipset drivers because they were released like a week ago. I have not downloaded anything else. I downloaded the most recent bios and put it on a flash drive and updated my bios before installing all my programs. I have not downloaded any other graphics drivers besides Geforce Experience.

UPDATE: I had to download the audio drivers for my motherboard because I kept hearing static and little popping noises when using my speakers. I downloaded the audio stuff and the pops are gone. Hopefully these drivers don't screw with my computer.

I also messed with the Sata Cable that connects to my SSD (OS is on the SSD) that appeared to not be fully plugged in all the way and I moved which port the sata cable was plugged into on the motherboard and the computer appears to be working perfect. *knocks on wood*