dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I am running a 6 year old Pentium 4, 2.44 gig processor, 2 gig memory, XP Pro SP3. I have had recurring BSOD for 2 months. After running a mini-dump with BlueScreen View, the problem appeared to be a corrupted ntoskrnl.exe file. I supposidly rebuilt the Boot.ini file, which loads the ntoskrnl.exe file. Still BSOD crashes. I then purchased "Registry Booster", and ran that. Continued BSOD crashes.

I have checked my 1 1/2 year old Seagate HD, and my memory. Both check O.K.

I can send a JPEG of the BlueScreen View if any one can help me figure out the cause of these random crashes. They seem to happen more when the computer is idle.

Thanks for any help.

DK

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I don't know how to make a screenshot after a crash. In fact, I can't figure out how to include a jpeg in this reply.

DK

Sorry about that. Obviously, you can't get a screenshot of a BSOD. Bad terminology on my part.

I was simply referring to taking a picture of the screen (camera, phone..etc). You can upload it to imageshack or photobucket, and then paste the URL here.

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Attached is aJPEG of the BlueScreen View mimidump.

Thanks ---- DK

hxz2dmetjzpv2ln70zzx_BSOD.jpg

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

I assume you can see the JPEG I sent. I haven't had a crash lately, from which I can copy info from the BSOD.

I am an ME, and without understanding how the system files work, have trouble figuring out what the cure is.

Where can one read about the basics of the Windows operating system? Is is a deep-dark-secret?

Thanks for your help in this matter --- I am appreciative.

D Kruse

It looks like you're getting BSODs, for various different reasons.

They could be caused by several things.

You see in the top window, the column that says 'bug string check?' That's normally the data we would look for in the BSOD, to start looking for the cause. Here's some good reading for what they could mean, with possible fixes.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windows-XP-Blue-Screen-Death-STOP-Codes-t43519.html

Another good place to look, is the event viewer (control panel-->administrative tools). It logs system, security, and application errors.

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

I looked at the "geekstogo" site. It appears there is no way to determine the exact cause of the crash? I could send you a copy of my event log if you thought it would help. I would need your e-mail, unless you know of another way to send the file.

Thanks,

D Kruse

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Yes, Several errors. Does the event log file include all I see, or does one have to pick a single "error" for the log file?

D Kruse

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

The errors all appear to be the same. There are several (10 or more) of these errors today, but no crash. The error is; "The max network packet driver (maxNPF) service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."

Today for the first time, when I tried to open Firefox, I received a crash window, saying "restart Firefox". When I clicked this instruction, I got the same repeat window. I gave up trying to open Firefox --- am using Google Chrome instead.

D Kruse

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Yes, I did reinstall Firefox yesterday, and it opened 1 time. When I closed it and re-opened, it gave the same "crash" message as before. I was trying to save my bookmarks, but will have to un-install it and start over.

Regarding BSOD crashes, I haven't seen any in the past couple of days. I can't seem to locate any specific errors in the event viewer that relate to the BSOD stops --- maybe I just don't know what to look for. I see on some forum that an old video driver could be causing my problem, but I am skeptical.

When starting-up this morning, the processor was busy doing(?) and the system was very slow. I am thinking the registry is badly messed-up. I have a new hard drive on hand, so it's probably best to bite the bullet and re-load XP pro. I have integrated a current XP SP3 with my SP2 disk, and burned a new disk, using "nlite". I plan on using that disk for the new install. Will the new install pull-up the latest hardware drivers, or will I have to find those on-by-one on the web?

Has Microsoft made their operating systems so difficult to understand that we outsiders must guess at the solutions to these problems, or are they themselves perplexed? It just seems unscientific to throw solutions at problems without knowing what will actually work.

D Kruse

Here's a handy program that can repair your registry.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
If that is the problem, you should see some improvement.

Reinstalling XP is an option. However, yes, you will have to reinstall your drivers.

Drivers are a common cause of BSODs. If you haven't already, you may want to make sure you have the latest graphics and chipset drivers.

dick kruse

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Just had a crash an hour ago. Computer was left alone at the time. I had previously update the nvidia driver. The BSOD Stop code was:0x--------8E (0xC-----5, 0x80563CA5, 0xF78BE820, 000000000)

The event viewer showed the same "The max network ---" as before. The error code was:
1000008e, parameter 1 c00000005, 2 80563ca5, 3 3i7be820, 4 all zeros.

Maybe this will help.

Thanks again for all your help.

D Kruse

I'm not a network guru, but from what I can tell, the NPF has to do with the LAN/ethernet connection.

If you are using a wireless connection, try disabling the ethernet device in the device manager. If you're using the ethernet connection, try disabling the network connection all together. If the error/BSOD stops, at least it narrows down the cause.