[SOLVED] Blue screen during & after clean windows install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2020
I have recently build my first PC, using these parts:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/99DcTJ

A few notes on the parts:

- I have been using the SSD for about 1-2 years now in a laptop I have, I moved it to my desktop build

- The PSU I bought it off Ebay, opened never used.

- The CPU I picked it up as part of the Prime Day Warehouse deal (open box item, and didn't have thermal paste, so was likely used previously for a short time).

Now I'm trying to do a clean windows install, but I haven't been able to get through a full windows install without a blue screen. I'm getting a variety of stopcodes, and sometimes no stopcode is included on the screen at all.

I have been able to get to the desktop and everything seems to be working but I'm getting a lot of blue screens. I have tried:

- CPU benchmark - seems normal

- GPU benchmark - seems normal

- windows memory diagnostic - no errors

- Memtest 2 passes - no errors

- Reconnecting mobo 24 pin

- Reconnecting 8 pin CPU

- Reconnecting SATA power

- Turning XMP off

- USB install with 1 RAM stick (tried both sticks)

- Doing a Windows Cloud install (ruling out USB issues)

- Using a different kettle lead (the one supplied with the CPU is very stiff)

I'm not sure what else is left for me to try, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Doing a Windows Cloud install (ruling out USB issues)
I was going to suggest a different USB until i read this. Looking at details its really just a reset using a cloud copy of the files. So it should have fixed it. https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/...ud Download, you,reinstall Windows 10 for you.
guess it must work from all the places reset shows up, might have to look see if its available of winre.

is the wifi adapter in PC? try removing it as well.

How far into the install process do you get? does PC restart and start creating accounts?

up until point of 1st restart its running in ram, after that its on the ssd.

I wish AMD would...
Nov 3, 2020
I flashed the BIOS with the latest version

The memory seems to be supported by the board: BL8G32C16U4B

The kettle lead is the main power lead supplying power to the PSU

Colif

Win 11 Master
you may want to run memtest for more than 2 passes. The free version of memtest only allows 4 scans but you can try memtest86+ that I believe allows more scans per run.

most of the time BSOD during install is ram

what did you test CPU using?

Nov 3, 2020
I now did 4 successful passes without errors, I also tried swapping out the ram sticks with 2 completely different sticks from a different brand and have the same issue. Have also tried only using 1 ram stick so I'm now assuming I can rule out any RAM specific issues. Although I'm not sure what else it might be.

For the CPU, I did a benchmark with Cinebench R20, but no further testing. If you have any tools that you can advice that would be great!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Doing a Windows Cloud install (ruling out USB issues)
I was going to suggest a different USB until i read this. Looking at details its really just a reset using a cloud copy of the files. So it should have fixed it. https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/...ud Download, you,reinstall Windows 10 for you.
guess it must work from all the places reset shows up, might have to look see if its available of winre.

is the wifi adapter in PC? try removing it as well.

How far into the install process do you get? does PC restart and start creating accounts?

up until point of 1st restart its running in ram, after that its on the ssd.

I wish AMD would make a tool to test their CPU with, Intel have one for theirs

About only test for CPU then is - I assume windows isn't working still
Prime 95 bootable - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

Prime 95 Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

its always possible its the ssd even thought it worked fine in other PC.

Only so many sources of BSOD. Memory normally main one, then could be CPU, storage, motherboard, PSU in that order, Unlikely to be GPU I think

Solution
Nov 3, 2020
It really depends, how fast / slow I click through the process. I have more luck going through the full process if I'm not connected to the internet (no need to enter password or setting up a pin and able to enter a short username to quickly go through).

About only test for CPU then is - I assume windows isn't working still
I am able to boot into Windows (but crashes regularly)

its always possible its the ssd even thought it worked fine in other PC.
I have now also tried:
  • Swapping the SSD with another one
  • Swapping the RAM with yet another stick
  • Swapping the GPU
  • Clearing CMOS

I have now bought a new CPU so I can try replacing that one. Will keep you posted

Nov 3, 2020
Hi @Colif , my new CPU has arrived and so far no crashes, so it seems a faulty CPU was to blame!

On my old CPU I also stress-tested with Prime95 and it seems that after 1-7 minutes the workers who were handling core 1 of the CPU crashed.

Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.