Blue screen errors after upgrading GPU...

R4ekwon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Wonder if you guys can help.

Just recently gone from a Radeon HD5870 to an Nvidia 580 GTX. The card is running at stock clock speeds, no memory errors (Memtest86), no virus', registry is cleaned on a regular basis, all drivers (including BIOS) and Windows are bang up to date but since I picked up the card last Friday I have had at least 2 Blue Screen crashes a day. My spec is:

Asus P8P67 Pro
Intel 2500k
8GB 1866mhz Corsair RAM
2 x Western Digital Raptor 150gb in RAID 0
Windows 7 64-Bit

I thought it might have been Nod32 that was causing the errors so I uninstalled last night and got a trial for Vipre to see if that resolved the issue, unfortunately it hasn't. The minidump is available at http://www.mediafire.com/?b7nsmrajgl6lwo1 from the most recent crash but the key elements are:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
0x0000003b
dxgmms1.sys (Caused By)
ntoskrnl.exe (Crash address)

Not sure what to look for in the minidump file so looking for some advice from someone who does.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I was having the same issue with my gtx470 2 or 3 blue screens per day. After swapping parts with another computer I issolated the PSU. I tested it with a borrowed psu which I used for a week and got no errors. Replaced my PSU and the computer has been fine now for 3 weeks.

R4ekwon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Thank you for the reply.

The thing is, the 5870 has worked since I got it on the cards original release day in the UK and the only time I had any issues with it was when I tinkered with the voltage and such to find a decent overclock.

It's a Tagan 1100 Watt PSU which delivers the necessary power per rail for this card. Under full load it is less than 100 watts additional power when compared to the 5870 and as I am only running a single card configuration I am no where near the maximum level this particular PSU. I have had PSU issues before when I used to make the mistake of buying a cheap PSU to go with an expensive rig but this was at the time one of the best PSU's available and is still going strong to this day.

TRENDING THREADS