Blue screen Flashed for a split second, boot loop.

Zac Perry

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
So I was using my desktop to try and fix a laptop's hard drive with an external enclosure. I was using Ease US Partition Manager, and I cleared a partition on that and made a new one that could be formatted. It had to reboot to apply the change, so I allowed it too. After shutting down, I booted up to the windows 7 screen, and halfway through the bootlogo, a blue screen flashed for a split second, and it shuts down. Safemode hangs at classpnp.sys, and startup repair hasn't been able to make repairs (some Startup Repair offline error.) That installation was on my SSD. I had a really old installation I am typing this from on my 1TB HDD, (startup repair managed to get it working). Here is a video of the issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JlgUd0NeDVM2Z1NkNCeXNjek0/view?usp=sharing
Thanks in advance!

Looks like it's a 0x7b stop error.

Which means someone installed windows in IDE mode then changed it to AHCI mode in the BIOS after windows was installed.

It means because the sata drivers werent installed when you installed windows (because it was in IDE mode), it cant find the hdd. And if you change it to AHCI after, it'll look for sata drivers (which arent there).

Result this crash

And, if someone put a hdd with an OS on it (from another computer), into another system thats why

Zac Perry

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

The laptops hard drive had windows 10 and it was a SATA drive, but I'll try the settings in BIOS. If that doesn't work, Am I going to have to reinstall windows? ( I don't want to as I did so in November)

Zac Perry

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
As I said in the original post, I was trying to fix the HDD from a laptop. My desktop doesn't boot off its main drive now. I tried IDE and I still blue screen, but further in the animation. I'll record another vid to see if the error changed, it will be a fewmins, once again, thanks for the help.