Blue Screen - Memory to Blame?

nick2124

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Hey,

please help.

I've recently installed anti-virus (avg), anti-spyware (spybot) bought a new keyboard+mouse (creative+razer) and have moved PC around a little...nothing been OC'd.

and now, occasionally I'm getting the BSOD"IRQL_not less or equal" and I have to restart my computer. It happens randomly...once every 1-2 days.

I'm using xp sp2... had it builtabout 6 months ago, had no probs till now.

PS: ive since deleted avg + all avg related keys from registry... i've tried using system restore several times but it keeps coming back with "restore incomplete - no changes have been made"

I've also run memtest overnight and have completed 9 passes, 0 errors.

PSS: I've also used windows debugger to analyse the minidump file (which is the error report log file i see after the blue screen /restart) and it came back with "ntkrpamp.exe" as the source of error.

I've tried googling this...says I may have faulty ram...?

If anyone can help I'd be deeply grateful...Thanks a lot!

arges86

Distinguished
if it is faulty ram, memtest should theoretically find the problem, but by random luck it may not sometimes...
You can try altering the RAM's voltage, and try increasing it a notch or two (depending on the modules) and seeing if that increases stability.
Make sure that they computer is clean from any dust. Sometimes (although not very often) dust particles can get on hardware and cause mini shorts that can cause issues.
My suggestion first is to clean the hardware thoroughly and go from there