Blue Screen New System Build

acguitarplayer

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
It seems that my problem is related to something going on between my motherboard and my memory. I have a new system build - upon trying to install Windows 7 I started getting some terrific blue screens during the install. After 4 tries I did get Windows to install, and then started getting more blue screens any time I tried to do just about anything... Windows updates, installing antivirus, downloading drivers, etc. It was suggested that I try reinstalling Windows in case I had a bad install. I've tried several times and haven't been able to get all the way through an install without getting a blue screen again. All of the blue screens have gone too quickly to get any info off of them. At another recommendation I made a bootable CD with memtest86 and have run just about every configuration I can think of. Results are as follows:

4 sticks of ram in: Computer freezes at 5% into first test
3 sticks of ram in: Computer freezes at 7% into first test (I have tried every configuration placing ram in different slots)
2 sticks of ram in: Computer retstarts at roughly 50% through first test (again I've tried every configuration of ram in different stots)
1 stick of ram in: Every stick passed with no errors, and every slot has passed with no errors

In my system I have:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S 2.83 Ghz Processor
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L Mother
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1 GB Video Card
8GB Corsair XPS DDR2 Ram (4 2GB sticks)
WD Caviar Green 500 GB Hard Drive

Anyone have any suggestions that don't involve hammers? Thanks!

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Suggest you set the voltage for the ram to Corsairs recommended settings to start with.

JackNaylorPE

Titan
BANNED
Oct 30, 2004
Disable auto restart after BSOD.
Post dump files on www.sevenforums.com

Set DRAM timings to what it says on da box.

Run memtest+ (4.x) instead of 86.

http://www.memtest.org/