Blue Screen O' Death Stop error...computer won't start up

Syle

Honorable
May 6, 2012
img0917y.jpg

Here's my build:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7RVI

Windows 7 64 bit OS
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem just came out of no where. I was doing some music production, and WHAM the blue screen came out of no where. I can't start up the computer; no option for safe mode. I've tried booting from my Windows CD, but it just blue screens after loading the Windows files. At this point, even if I wanted to reformat, I'm not sure how I could go about doing that considering my Windows CD won't even load up...?

I've tried searching for the particular STOP Errors listed, and I found some information, but, I'm not sure how to go about implementing the fixes if I can't even load the computer into Safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; this is pretty frustrating.

Solution
The first BSOD:

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

Also, for the first parameter, 0xC0000005:

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred

Which points to RAM.

The second BSOD:

Bug Check 0x1E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

And again, for the first parameter, 0xC0000005:

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred

Looks like a memory problem to me. Run memtest86 and check the RAM for errors. If that works...

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
i would first try taking out all your ram except for 1 stick, to try and eliminate bad memory, that is usually my first assumption if the system wont even load up a windows CD.

then also check if you have any blown capacitors on the motherboard

start with there and see what that turns up with, and try every memory module, so if all do the same thing in the first slot then try them in the next slot, and so on and so forth.

let me know how you fair with that, i may have some more troubleshooting steps if those fail.

Oh, and unplug any addon cards you do not need to boot the computer and run it normally

Sounds like a RAM issue. The first troubleshooting step I would try is remove all but one RAM stick and test. If it doesn't work, try a different stick. If you repeat this process enough times, you may identify the specific stick that has failed. If no stick works, try a different RAM slot. If it now works, you've got a bad slot on the mobo.

Syle

Honorable
May 6, 2012
Update:

I pulled out all 4 sticks of RAM, and then put 1 back in at a time. At first, Windows was able to successfully get into repair mode via my Windows CD; I did not receive the BSOD in the same way that I had been experiencing it. I let Windows run the repair tool, and here is the message I received:

photo8xj.jpg

I wasn't sure what to do with the error, so I just kept moving forward.

I loaded up Windows just fine, logged in, and everything seemed to be in order. I made my way to the 3rd stick of RAM, and bam, things started to go wonky. After logging in, Windows would take an abnormally long time to load up, and then right when I got in to my desktop, Windows would automatically restart without letting me have any say in the matter. And now, it will do this with any stick of RAM in any of the RAM slots; same result.

I checked for blown capacitors and I didn't see any.

Here's another error message I received at some point in this process:

photo7ie.jpg

It's frustrating because I could potentially have a bad MOBO, 4 bad sticks of RAM....or both!!! Grrr...

The first BSOD:

Bug Check 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

Also, for the first parameter, 0xC0000005:

Which points to RAM.

The second BSOD:

Bug Check 0x1E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

And again, for the first parameter, 0xC0000005:

Looks like a memory problem to me. Run memtest86 and check the RAM for errors. If that works, then try and run Prime 95's blend test, which stresses the rest of the memory subsystem [northbridge, etc].

Solution

Syle

Honorable
May 6, 2012

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I got it figured out. Booted up with Memtest, and found 2 bad sticks of RAM. I also found that somehow the bad RAM had corrupted my OS, so I ended up reformatting as well.

All in all, I learned a lot about troubleshooting, plus, now I have a working computer again! Yay!

bistroman

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

bistroman

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I had a very similar problem. I tried software repair, system recovery, replacing memory, etc, etc etc. Finally, in BIOS somehow my SATA hard drive mode was changed to IDE. I changed it back to AHCI, and everything worked!!!