Blue screen of death after fresh Windows 7 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyptex

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I decided to install windows 7 on my old laptop that I got from a school I no longer attend, but now when I boot I get BSOD (during windows 7 logo) then an instant restart, after that it loads up to the "Start windows normally or launch startup repair" screen. Using startup repair doesn't help at all and starting windows normally produces the same effect :/

If I spam F8 while the laptop is booting I can get into the Advanced Boot Options, booting into safemode causing BSOD then restart and non of the other options stop the BSOD. If I disable automatic restart after system failure I properly see the BSOD and it gives these codes...

PHP:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009198E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034 , 0x0000000000000000 , 0x0000000000000000)

I've never en-counted an error like this, I have no idea what to do, please help :(

Edit: Also I should mention that when I plug the laptop HDD into my desktop and boot it runs perfectly.

Solution
When you installed Windows onto that Laptop.. what was on it before? It actually sounds like there was a problem with the install and that you should install it again.

This time.. boot from the Windows 7 DVD and when you get to the screen for installing Windows, go to Advanced Options and completely DELETE the partition and then select option to format. After you do that, you can proceed with the install. That should clear up your problem. I've found that if Windows has bad file corruption and you perform a upgrade reinstall from within Windows instead of a clean install by booting from the DVD and deleting the partition... the corruption sometimes will carry over into the new reinstall.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
When you installed Windows onto that Laptop.. what was on it before? It actually sounds like there was a problem with the install and that you should install it again.

This time.. boot from the Windows 7 DVD and when you get to the screen for installing Windows, go to Advanced Options and completely DELETE the partition and then select option to format. After you do that, you can proceed with the install. That should clear up your problem. I've found that if Windows has bad file corruption and you perform a upgrade reinstall from within Windows instead of a clean install by booting from the DVD and deleting the partition... the corruption sometimes will carry over into the new reinstall.

Solution

Hyptex

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Before I installed windows 7 the laptop had heaps of school software on It, but it seemed to work fine except for the lack of ability to access certain websites and run certain programs due to the school's old security system.

I also can't access the boot device menu, so I took the harddrive out and used my desktop to install windows 7 on it and I formatted the hard drive before I did the installation. Could this be the problem?

AHCI is already selected :(

Thanks, I'll take a look.

shivababbli

Distinguished

then change it back to ide or native, maybe you had installed in ide mode and then changed the BIOS

Hyptex

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

I can't change any BIOS settings because the laptop's BIOS is password protected because I got the laptop from my old High School, thus I couldn't have changed the SATA setting.

Hyptex

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Hey, so I loaded hbcd into the laptop's HDD so I can boot into the menu, however after that I'm not quite sure what to do. I've looked at tutorials on youtube regarding password removal but most of the options I've tried don't work and I don't want to risk turning the laptop into a paper weight. Are there any recommended options in the menu that I should use? Thanks.

Hyptex

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
So I found a solution, here's what I did.

I decided to give reinstalling Windows 7 a go.

I plugged the hard drive into my desktop (still havent cracked the bios password) and installed windows 7, everything went fine, plugged the harddrive into my laptop and boom I got BSOD.

So here's the solution;

This time when I installed Windows 7 I took the hard drive OUT of my desktop when it was doing the "Completely Installation restart" step and put it in my laptop, booted up and everything worked perfectly, the installation continued and I setup my account.

Thanks everyone for the help in this thread, and thanks to shivababbli for mentioning HBCD because although it didn't solve my problem it is still a program that I am very happy to know about and will definitely use in the future.

Sep 30, 2018
It helped me to install win7 on dell 3551: I had just setup 'ignore AC adapter warnings' in BIOS setup. That wasn't my laptop, my friends asked me to help.
I also updated the BIOS to latest version available on dell site, but it didn't matter in my case.
Install of both versions (32 bit/64 bit) was OK.

Cheers,
Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.