Question Blue screen of death (bsod) -- random, hard-to-troubleshoot

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Below are two of these bsod, captured with my iPhone ...
pc-bsod-IMG-0187.jpg

pc-IMG-0186.jpg

I stared having this a few weeks ago, and it seems to be mostly random. But it MAY be memory related.
The problem arose after Foobar2000 froze up, forcing a reboot. Re-boot was fine, but as soon as I started opening certain programs (iTunes, Foobar), I would sometimes get this bsod.
I did re-seat all the memory modules (cleaned with contact cleaner, too).
This PC has a fairly new 2TB WD ssd, 4gb memory, Win XP Sp2.
Although the CPU and motherboard (asus) are orig (early 2004), most other components have been replaced. The PC is always on (never hibernated or slept).
Since the first appearance of this issue, the problem seems to have abated a bit ... but I still get it every other day or so.

Ralston18

Titan
16 year old system - always on. Still (to date) working. That is overall, to me, amazing.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs: motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM PSU, etc..

Take a close look at the recommended hardware specs for the programs ( Foobar 2000, ITunes, etc.) you are running.

RAM may now indeed be an issue.

Generically, my suggestion is to go online and google the error code.

You will find many links and will need to revise your search criteria to focus on the error code, XP SP2, and your hardware.

The online search is to focus on identifying and verifying the true reason for the bsods.

Look for other symptoms that may show up in the searches. You may, for instance, note some event that you felt was unrelated or caused by something else.

Avoid any downloads claiming that they will fix the problem. Do not do any Registry editing.

Key is to identify the problem.

Below are two of these bsod, captured with my iPhone ...
pc-bsod-IMG-0187.jpg

pc-IMG-0186.jpg

I stared having this a few weeks ago, and it seems to be mostly random. But it MAY be memory related.
The problem arose after Foobar2000 froze up, forcing a reboot. Re-boot was fine, but as soon as I started opening certain programs (iTunes, Foobar), I would sometimes get this bsod.
I did re-seat all the memory modules (cleaned with contact cleaner, too).
This PC has a fairly new 2TB WD ssd, 4gb memory, Win XP Sp2.
Although the CPU and motherboard (asus) are orig (early 2004), most other components have been replaced. The PC is always on (never hibernated or slept).
Since the first appearance of this issue, the problem seems to have abated a bit ... but I still get it every other day or so.
Have you tried running system repairs the cmd.
Sfc /scannow as admin

we3fan

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Take out 1 RAM stick and try with only 2GB RAM for awhile, start the same programs (iTunes, Foobar) to see if it causes BSOD, try the same with the other RAM stick. This will tell us if RAM is the problem.

When Foobar2000 froze up for the first time that might have corrupted some files/drivers or something in the Registry.

You can try restoring the PC from a System Restore before the BSOD happened for the first time with Foobar2000.

Or try re-installing these programs that give BSOD.

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
The problem seems to occur quite randomly. Lately, mostly in Chrome browser, esp when a JavaScript-heavy page is running.
If I don't use the PC, but just leave it idling (even for a days), no BSOD.
I did try the RAM subtract/swap during the first few days of issue. I don't think that was it.
About memory ... the diagnostic "beeps" (coded for brand of motherboard) that sound when PC starts bios, seem to indicate no problem. In fact, those beeps relate more than memory issues as bios boots. But the beep signature (single beep) is normal.

we3fan

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
MemTest-86 is a program that can test RAM, you said you think the RAM is good, but you can also try it if you want.

Your PC always works normally? And these random BSODs started happening after Foobar2000 froze up?

Do you think it's a software or hardware problem?
I am not suggesting you to reinstall, but if you reinstall Windows clean do you think the problem would go away?

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Perhaps, 4 weeks prior to first issue, the hdd was replaced with a 2TB Western Dig ssd. This was done via cloning using Acronis. That occurred w/o errors and no foul behavior hence. I've always always used Acronis for cloning -- it has never let me down.
But, about 1-2 week before first bsod issue, I switched from using the internal Xonar sound card to an external "audiophile" sound device (a USB DAC: the Schiit Modi Multibit DAC) that connects to the PC via usb. It needs proprietary USB drivers that have to be: (a) installed manually and (b) enabled individually for each app (program) that outputs audio (iTunes, Foobar, Chrome, VLC).

Schiit drivers may be the issue.

If/when the problem re-occurs, I'll go back to the orig Asus Xonar sound card, still installed on the mbd.

13hm13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
As an experiment, I replaced the XP ssd with another ssd with Linux Mint xfce 19.2. I'm using many of the same programs including some Windows apps via WINE. Also, in LM, using the same Schiit external DAC or the Xonar SC.
Thus far--over 48 hours on the Linux ssd, with quite active use -- no issues. With the XP drive, it would have bsod's by now, even idling.
To experiment further, I re-installed the XP ssd, and it booted up normally ... opened the usual programs (Chrome, FanSpeed, Foobar, iTunes) ... no issues.
I wanted to uninstall the drivers so I went into Control Panel... and as soon as I clicked Sound icon ... wham, bsod (same Fault as shown in above posts)!
One predicable pattern to the bsods on this XP drive is that accessing Control Panel features seem to bsod quite quickly. Do the Control Panel features (Admin Tools, etc) reside in some sensitive place in the Registry?

Last edited:

Latest posts