[SOLVED] Blue Screen of Death: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with BSODs that I started getting around... March or sometime before that, and I can't place a finger on what's causing them to happen besides what the crash .dmps have been showing me—something about ntoskrnl.exe in every single crash .dmp from a program I use. Unfortunately, I don't know how to properly read the actual .dmp files (they have a bunch of NULs and other gibberish in them) to determine if that .exe is really the cause.

Whenever I play certain games, these BSODs would happen. Here's a list of games and their activities that caused them:
  • Enderal - Forgotten Stories: BSOD yesterday when I paused the game and ALT+Tabbed for a while. When I tried to tab back in, the game was frozen, and it crashed my computer seconds afterwards. I never had this problem with Enderal prior to March when I used to play it very often.
  • Paladins: The game where the BSODs began during that month. After the game goes through its logos, there is a random chance I would experience a BSOD at the now frozen 'Attempting to log in...' screen. I've had the most BSODs from this game even though I never had a single BSOD from it when I played it in the past.
  • RimWorld: My first time trying to play this game. It often causes a BSOD whenever it's in the middle of loading my mods before I'm able to access any settings or play the game. If I manage to get pass the loading screen, the game will eventually freeze then cause a BSOD anyway.
So far, those are the only three I've played lately—Enderal for the first time after months—that caused BSODs only during those specified moments I detailed. Every other game I play such as Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, Warframe, Guild Wars 2, and so on are completely fine.

Here are five of my latest crash .dmps that I uploaded through Catbox (clicking them will directly download them):
Three new crash .dmps from a test I ran with Driver Verifier which warned me that I will most likely experience BSODs after restarting:

ntoskrnl.exe is still at the top of the list, but this time, VerifierExt.sys and winio64.sys are directly below it. Again, I don't know if they are truly the causes behind my BSODs.

If there is any way I can fix this, please enlighten me. I'd really like to get back to playing certain games without worrying about a BSOD lurking around a corner.

Last edited:
Solution
Even though the BSOD errors seem a little different now—intelppm.sys still being part of the root problem, erasing everything and reinstalling Windows did not fix the problem. I guess I'm just going to have find this PC a new home (a local dumpster) and buy another one.

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
dism fixes the image files. These files are used by windows to reset your PC and by SFC to check the PC. Often it helps to run dism before SFC since it can save time.

Ah, so SFC (and Windows for reformatting and/or reinstalling itself) relies on the image files DISM checks and fixes if there's anything wrong with them.

Makes sense. I ran DISM before I ran SFC and both told me that they were successful—no problems to be found... strangely. They both run pretty fast on my PC which I assume a SSD has to do with that?

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Yeah, I think I'm just going to back up whatever's important and reformat.

I don't know if it's possible to fix my USBs (if they're the cause) and Intel PPM if they've been heavily modified by a driver that caused them to spit out millions of errors, so I think my only hope is a clean slate of Windows 10. Thanks for sparing much of your time to help, johnbl. ღ

Ellowas

Commendable
Aug 26, 2020
Even though the BSOD errors seem a little different now—intelppm.sys still being part of the root problem, erasing everything and reinstalling Windows did not fix the problem. I guess I'm just going to have find this PC a new home (a local dumpster) and buy another one.

Solution