Blue Screen of Death during format! Help needed!

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Hi everyone, so this is the story. I built my new computer a month or so ago (with the help of you guys :D ), and today it crashed. I was running bioshock, I then quit, no problems and then on my desktop everything froze. This has happened to me once before, but I always rebooted and everything was fine. When I rebooted, it took me to a black screen saying:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup with the original setup CD
Select r at first screen to repair.

So I did what it said, and after preloading all the drivers in the beginning it comes to the screen asking if I want to format, or repair my current windows installation. When I select repair, it takes me to the recovery console, but after I select my windows installation, it gives me a blue screen of death saying:

A problem has been detected...
REGISTRY_ERROR
and the technical info said:
Stop: 0X00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000001, 0x00003000, 0xe122e030)

If I try to format it gives me the BSOD as well. I started up partition magic, but when I tried changing something, it said my drive is dismounted error 1516.

Here is my build:
Core 2 Duo E6420
Gigabiyte P965-DS3
Seagate 500gig harddrive
OCZ GamerExtreme 700W power supply
Corsair Ram 2gigs
Zalman CPU cooler
2x DVD drives and 1x floppy

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much. Is any of my hardware screwed up? Thanks in advance.
Thioxane

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I can't, or didn't I make that clear? After the second screen during reformatting, I always get a blue screen of death, then I have to restart again.

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Seagate has a tool called Seatools for drive testing. I think you can download an iso bootable file and burn it to disk. Same thing with Memtest86+
However I would start with the Seatools as it appears to be hard drive related. But I would run Memtest86+ for a few hours on any new build to make sure your memory will be stable. Same goes for Orthos.

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Ok, I'm running Seatools right now, looks like its going to take a while. Memory seems to be fine, I ran memtest86+ and it came up with no errors. The funny thing is that my hard drive is detected by bios and everything, its just that damn blue screen that keeps coming up. But I'll have the results in a few hours, so till then thanks a lot for everyone's help. :)

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Interesting... the hard drive passed. No errors. This doesn't make sense. Guys, is there any way to tell if the motherboard is at fault?

Insomniac

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007

wrong... when i was cleaning my pc, i had accidentally plugged the SATA cable into the wrong port, and this happened. make sure your SATA cable is plugged into Port 0.

Granted, this could be an issue.
I did not include that because he was reporting computer issues before he reformatted. Considering the motherboard (which I have a few of), having a hard drive in ANY Sata port will not confuse windows boot.ini when installing windows.

Note: On any system, it is recommended your OS hard drive be connected to Sata0, but it is not required.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I'd still think software, though it sounds like the partition's beyond recovering with standard tools.

You're getting a registry error when attempting a repair, then mount issues with PartitionMagic.. I'd try just repartitioning and go from there. I still use low level formatting more often than I probably should, but I'd do it. Then if it still happened, an obscure driver problem with a misidentified piece of hardware would be the only reasonable software issue.

As to what caused the original problem though, that might be something that needs addressed. Don't know how many times I've trashed the registry when a machine's overheated or a PSU's dropped.

jasoncunanan

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
i ahve been trying to do that as well(Formatting) but i get the blue screen after accepting eula, I did suspect it was the board but after transferring the HDD for ghosting to another pc, It restarts the pc, i suspected it was the HDD so i transferred the HDD to another pc and get it reformatted and after getting it connected to more than 2 mmore pc, it turned out to be a hard drive problem. does anyone here knows how to fix this?

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
DISABLE RAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my xp was BSOD every format till i disabled raid. just look if its enabled. if not re-set your bios to defualt settings

Using the recovery console is not the best way to proceed

I feel its unlikely you have a hardware problem .

Do this . Its a repair installation of XP . Follow the instructions and it will replace all the XP system files with fresh copies from the disc
http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

This wont fix registry errors or problems but should get you up and running .

After you have done that XP auto update wont work until you do
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

If you have vital data you must save , you could boot with a linux live cd and transfer files to an external drive before the repair . I have never had a repair fail , but evidently it can happen .
Good luck

jasoncunanan

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
resetting bios was not effective at all. Repair was not helpfull as well, But luckily I was able to find some work around and wanted to share it with you guys:

Back to connecting the hard drive to another pc and this time, booting it on safe mode.

in safe mode, I formated the hard drive and wallah! It worked!

After which i rebooted and started a fresh xp installation - good thing i didn't have any important files to save.

I thought od that raid thing that our helpful friend ryan here mentioned. But after trying that many times - It did not work. Might work though, Only i didn't do it as he did it with his fix.

THanks to everyone who shared ideas regarding this problem.

jasoncunanan

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
resetting bios was not effective at all. Repair was not helpfull as well, But luckily I was able to find some work around and wanted to share it with you guys:

Back to connecting the hard drive to another pc and this time, booting it on safe mode.

After which i rebooted and started a fresh xp installation - good thing i didn't have any important files to save.

I thought od that raid thing that our helpful friend ryan here mentioned. But after trying that many times - It did not work. Might work though, Only i didn't do it as he did it with his fix.

jasoncunanan

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

Debjit Chakraborty

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I hope it's a software problem which corrupted the OS. You can download wondershare live boot 2012 from any torrent site and burn it in a bootable media. Select the bios to boot from your bootable media. Once it boots up I hope it will automatically fix the problem. Please try this and do not forget to reply me your result.