[SOLVED] Blue screen of death errors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 27, 2020
Hello

For the past few months, I've been having several blue screen of death errors of different kinds when I leave my computer running, or shortly after booting it up. But now, after one of the blue screen errors, my audio service is no longer functioning. (I also noticed my elgato sound capture was not found immediately on boot up, there is a message on every start up.)

Computer specs are:
System model: OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70 (12 CPU's), ~3.7Ghz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti
32 GB RAM

I've kept track of as many of the blue screen error codes as I can (I'm unsure how to view them all if there is a way.) Here are the error codes I have:

• SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - What failed: win32full.sys
  • Stop code: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
  • SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (no other information)
  • Kmode Exception Not Handled (happened today right before my audio stopped working)

What I've done to try to attempt to fix the problem (before audio disappeared):
-Updated all drivers in Device Manager
-Ran sfc scannow command in command prompt as administrator.
-Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image/Restorehealth command.
-After running this command, some files were found that could not be repaired.
These were the files and information that could not be repaired in the sfcdetails document:

2020-10-23 21:11:42, Info CSI 00000031 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:11]'USBHUB3.SYS' of dual_usbhub3.inf, version 10.0.18362.836, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, type [l:14]'dualModeDriver' in the store, hash mismatch

2020-10-23 21:11:42, Info CSI 00000033 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:11]'USBHUB3.SYS' of dual_usbhub3.inf, version 10.0.18362.836, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, type [l:14]'dualModeDriver' in the store, hash mismatch

2020-10-23 21:13:44, Info CSI 0000022c [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:11]'USBHUB3.SYS' of dual_usbhub3.inf, version 10.0.18362.836, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, type [l:14]'dualModeDriver' in the store, hash mismatch

2020-10-23 21:13:44, Info CSI 0000022e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:11]'USBHUB3.SYS' of dual_usbhub3.inf, version 10.0.18362.836, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, type [l:14]'dualModeDriver' in the store, hash mismatch

Hoping for the best. Help would be very appreciated

Solution
there has to be an easier way to install sound drivers

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth command:
-After a scan, Powershell prompted:
Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired
oh fun

so your on version 1903 of windows 10... that makes it difficult. the fix for the source line is to use a copy of the ISO that matches the currently installed version. 1903 is 3 versions behind the iso version the media creation tool makes now.

updating windows could fix the sound and the error above. The command I got you to run cleans the windows image. this image would be used if you ever did a reset. its also the place SFC gets files to...
Oct 27, 2020
ITs odd, I watched a video on 20H2 today and they said it will be soon available to public and I am like... I have it now?

What did you ask it do? make an ISO or upgrade PC? I just downloaded the Media creation tool and asked it to make an ISO and its already at finished. Maybe restart the tool?

main reason I suggest USB is you only have to download it once. If you use the tool to update win 10, and it fails, you would need to download it all again. I just try to save extra possible steps.

Oh, I had selected upgrade the PC. Was I not supposed to do that?

Also, I'm still at 0%.

Colif

Win 11 Master
is your internet normally slow?

I know the download works as I got it earlier.

I don't want you to upgrade another pc, if its win 7 or higher it can be used to download the ISO so you can make a USB. Then you just update using USB. USB reduces number of times you have to download

Maybe ask a friend or something to make USB for you if your internet is slow.

Oct 27, 2020
is your internet normally slow?

I know the download works as I got it earlier.

I don't want you to upgrade another pc, if its win 7 or higher it can be used to download the ISO so you can make a USB. Then you just update using USB. USB reduces number of times you have to download

Maybe ask a friend or something to make USB for you if your internet is slow.

I decided to just hit update now on the main page. I'll see if that does anything. I can select to make it on a USB too

Edit: And no, not at all, internet is usually fine

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be the update process on that PC is not working, might relate to the fact you can't run
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
without getting errors. It fixes the image that windows 10 uses to install itself. So it might have bent the updater out of shape.

Its another reason I suggested another PC as download might be faster.

If it gets stuck, try another PC.

Oct 27, 2020
it could be the update process on that PC is not working, might relate to the fact you can't run
without getting errors. It fixes the image that windows 10 uses to install itself. So it might have bent the updater out of shape.

Alright, I'll run it on my laptop to see what happens. Currently this PC is going through the update process using the website for version 2009 at least, at 81%. I'll let you know how it goes

Oct 27, 2020

Good news! The update I installed on the website (but not the tool) fixed the audio drivers. I decided to run sfc /scannow after the update, and it prompted:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

What should I do now?

Oct 27, 2020
So did that fix all your problems or just the sound?

I wonder if it fixed the other command as well?

I just recently finished running the restore health command in Powershell admin. It prompted:

Path : (it was blank)
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False

Looks like both commands are okay. In my system information, I'm seeing that my version is 10.0.19042. On the website, it said it was 2009.

My BIOS version is still AMI F.22 6/25/2018, which is a bit concerning since you were bringing it up being out of date. Could the BIOS version be contributing to future possible blue screens?

Edit: The sign in is now kind of obnoxious though, and I have to be online to sign in now. It takes a lot longer (about 15 seconds with all of the steps), and prompts an alternate window in the login screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
2009 is actually called 20H2. And you are on that version now. You have the same version number as I do.

I have been using a pin for last 2 months since I got a new PC. I hadn't noticed the need to be online, but then I always am.

Oct 27, 2020
Ah, I see. I think this fixed the issue, just like you said!

I noticed you haven't said anything about the BIOS, though. Isn't that important to the problem, and having future ones? I just want to be sure more blue screens don't pop up.

gardenman

Splendid
BIOS is one of those things that you don't want to update unless you have a real reason to do so. If you have additional BSODs, consider updating it then. The same with drivers (mostly). Only update if you are having issues.

Updating BIOS can also be dangerous. If it's done wrong, or if it freezes and you decide to cut off the system while it's frozen, you could brick your motherboard.

Oct 27, 2020
BIOS is one of those things that you don't want to update unless you have a real reason to do so. If you have additional BSODs, consider updating it then. The same with drivers (mostly). Only update if you are having issues.

Updating BIOS can also be dangerous. If it's done wrong, or if it freezes and you decide to cut off the system while it's frozen, you could brick your motherboard.

That sounds pretty scary, I can see why you'd advise against it now. I really hope it doesn't come to updating BIOS in the future then.

Thanks a ton guys, is there any way I could get help from you if there are any other issues after this?