Blue Screen of Death, games crashin, firefox crashing, WTF!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
what

u need is a mobo stress test software and the posibility of a floppy / cd room

dos based application find like memtest

goodluck once again

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
You did? I didn't know there was such a thing as a stress test for motherboards. It's hecka late right now, I'm gonna do some research/testings on that tomorrow. Thanks.

GhostX

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Wow lets take a look at your listed problems.

1. It sounds like the burn process is failing because of RAM.. writing to the memory and then to the hard drive. It could be your RAM or your HDD, or even your CD

2. Your games are crashing. It could be RAM, HDD GRFX or CD. Some suggest drivers etc.

3. You test the memory.. works fine.. you say you have had the air on the parts and kept it cool right? Still having issues.

Have you considered that it may be the mainboard? The controllers.. the sockets for the memory.. etc etc.. Do you have the latest chipset drivers? Is all your firmware updated? I mean its the component that bridges it all together.

Do you have some spare parts laying around? Most system builders have an old grfx card etc... maybe you could start process of elimination.

There is a pattern to your issue though.. that cant be denied.

Just remember that HEAT makes all things fail. How hot are you running? Are you in a well ventalated place?

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
Well, I did check my ram via windows ram check thing. It said it was alrgight. Although, somehow I still have my doubts. I used my dvd burner on my shuttle and it worked fine, so thats not it.

The only drivers that aren't updated right now are my motherboard's firmware. I can't seem to get it to install. (another reason I suspect the mofo)

My systems running plenty cool. I really don't think that could be the problem.

I have the latest chipset drivers, again, I couldn't get the firmware updated. I'll try again later today

I actually have a 2nd computer laying around. I've found out that it prob isn't my hdd's. Cause I could'nt get windows to install on a working drive.

I'm definetely thinking it the motherboard. I'm gonna start looking for stress tests and trying to update my firmware. Chaintech's site doesn't say anything about how to install it. So, I'm like trying 100 different ways here.

Update: I'm trying to flash it (again) In AwardBios Flash Util, I'm still getting the "Please Wait!" message. It just stays there blinking. Thats it. I have tried using the Award Util off the motherboard and I have tried using the newest one off a floppy. Both give me the same problem. Any sugestions?

I did a little research and I found a guy that said this, "I made myself an MS-DOS boot disc, along with having the ic728.exe files moved to another floppy. The utility worked, up until a point - the bios flash utility stopped responding with the Message: Please Wait! Typically bios flashing shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, so i'm wondering if I have a bad bios chipset."

Is what this guys says true? At this point I really WANT something to be just a simple bad bios chipset, so I can get it replaced and get things working again.

Would resetting my cmos jumper maybe make it work???

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this but, I was right about the cmos having to be cleared before the bios could be flashed.

I got my bios to latest version. This is what happened after I did this: When the auto detect hardware thing went on, it would detect abunch of ide stuff. When it got to one in particular my whole computer would freeze. This happened twice.

What I did then was, unplug my 3rd hdd, which I used to backup all my files, and set up everything as normal. Now, when I try to get to windows it will show the windows loading thing, then give me a blue screen.

Blue screen says: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x00190203, 0x86495278, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

It does this even when I try to get into safe mode. I'm gonna try plugging that 3rd hdd back in and unplugging my 2nd cd drive and stuff, see what happens.

If theres anyone out there that has some idea, wtf is going on here, please post. Thanks.

Update: I tried booting with both cd's unplugged, the whole screen stayed black and the cpu fan ran at full speed.

I plugged the cd's back in, then the screen showed up and I got the message, "Verifying DMA something (standard thing).....
Then it said, " A disk read error occurred. Press Cntl+alt+del to restart.

I ran in seatools a quick check on both hdd's, they both check out fine.

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
I've never heard of a PIO mode. IF I can even get windows to install, could you tell me how to set them in PIO mode?

Also, I have my hdd's partitioned, one part just for the os, the other for everything else. I'm gonna try just formatting the os part first. Hopefully I won't have to do everything.

If that doesn't do it, is there a chance my raid setup is corrupted, as in, I'd have to format everything and rebuild them with new partitions and everything???

As for that bug code thing, that basically says either I have a corrupted hdd (physically or file struction wise, I don't know) OR that I have a nonpaged pool memory problem?? I have no idea what that meens.

Update: When I get to the windows installation part were it shows my partitions, d: is shown as "unknown" format. Is that normal? It shouldn't effect my windows installation, should it?

This is whats happening when I try and install windows: It will say: Setup cannot copy the file: whatever. Retry, skip, quit. It won't ever work, so I'll select skip, and it will just happen with another file.

Also, back in the day, with my old msi agp motherboard, I got this same situation, I rma'd it twice. And them eventually I just bought a new motherboard, and things worked great until now.

Also, back then, both hdd's worked fine on any other motherboard, and any hdd would not work on the msi motherboard. So, I figured it was defintely the motherboard.

So, I have the exact problem again... Another broke mofo, or bad hdd's?? Also, back then I had completely different hardware, besides the hdd's.

What do you guys think?

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
I can't even get windows to install, let alone access the device manager. Would this pio and all this stuff matter if I did deleted all partirisions and deleted my raid setup and rebuilt it, and used the newest raid drivers (by the way, anyone know were to get those floppy files?)

Also, if doing all this doesn't fix my problem, what else could it be? I will try this stuff and post back what happens.

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
I did what I mentioned earlier. Now, I'll get to were you want to install xp. Then when its supposed to boot from the hdd and get to the xp installation, it will instead boot from the cd, even though I didn't press any key.

Also, when I disable every boot option besides the hdd I get the message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data..... DISK BOOT FAILUREM INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Also, I unplugged one hdd and tried installing on the other, and vice versa, I got the same error both times. It is highly unlikely that both hdd's are broken. In fact if I had yet another hdd to test with, I would put money down that I'd get the same error.

Also, you mentioned memory. Right now the ram is detected automatically at alot higher lats than they are supposed to be. I guess I could try raising them even more. My raid controller was just whatever is in my mofo. I disabled it. If I do get this f*cking thing to work, I am going to buy a like 500 gb hdd and never do raid again.

I am using a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra and a Athlon 64 3500.

Update: I may have made some kind of progress. Check out what this guy pawprint says:

Troubleshoooting Disk Boot Failure
This error means your FAT boot sector is corrupt. Indications can include messages such as;

"Invalid system disk."; "Disk I/O error."; "Replace the disk, and then press any key"; "Non-System disk or disk error"; "Replace and press any key when ready."; and "Disk Boot failure "BOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR."; "I/O error reading disk.";

Or you may seem something like this, "disk boot failure insert system disk"; "boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter"; "windows xp disk boot failure"

How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:i386NTLDR C:
COPY X:i386NTDETECT.COM C:

To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

I did this and I got to were it would usually install from the cd, but I got this message, "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. PLease check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

It still doesn't work, but thats some progress, right? Anyways, I'm gonna screw around with the hdd's a little more and maybe try these commands a few hundred times too.

Update: Wow, that got windows to install. The screen just stayed black the first time, but the second time it worked. It was actually the fastest xp install I have ever had. What pawprint said rang true, cause I was used to seeing errors relating to if not directly saying I have some NTLDR problem.

I'm gonna test out my pc again, burning, playing games, etc. And see if I still have problems. Man, I knew raid was a b*tch, but I didn't know it was this bad.

sailer

Splendid
It is possible that your motherboard is shot and needs replacement. Also, that trojan that you had might have messed up the config files to the point that even doing a reinstall will be difficult. You may have to format the hard disc clean and start over from scratch. Last thing I can think of offhand is a hard disc failure of some type, so that it won't read correctly no matter what you do.

Everybody else seems to have covered the possiblilties pretty well. One last thing I can think of is to strip everything off the motherboard and see what happens when you try to start up and get into the BIOS. If the machine turns on correctly, then start adding cards one at a time until failure occurs. That should identify the problem piece or at least point out where the motherboard is failing.

dangerdave

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
I deleted all the partitions. I'm not using a raid setup anymore. And raid is disabled.

A while back, I had a cdrom drive that went bad. Sometimes it wouldn't work at all, so I'd unplug it, blow on it and it worked, but it made my boot time an extra 2 minutes. Thats whats happening now. So, I think something is definetely faulty.

I highly doubt a single trojan can cause 2 hdds to break, or at least to make, (after a complete format) windows xp installation difficult. But, I guess it's possibilty.

But besides the 4 minute boot time, I haven'y had a single crash. I'm gonna buy a single hdd and further test everything, since I still think there is a chance that my motherboard is shot.

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys.

Update: I figured out what was causing the 4 minute boot time, the cd burner! I wore out another one. I tried to burn anything with it and no cd was ever detected. Well, just one more thing I have to rma.