[SOLVED] blue screen of death, no bootable device found, dell notebook hlep

rustynetwork

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Hi people i usually have a general understanding of PC hardware and can solve problems on my own, but this one really i cant solve, i play games a lot and at some point i noticed that i keep getting blue screens and force shutdowns during games, ran diagnostic tool that comes with Dell notebooks, no hardware problem detected then ran system file checker thing, it found problems and fixed it, then no more blue screens, afterwards my pc started to give me boot errors, like unable to boot, no bootable device found things like that, it wasnt happening all the time but at some point i was unable to boot my pc..

Then did some things like disabling secure boot and adding new boot entry and it worked for some time and then i did format my pc to get rid of all this stuff, left my pc open overnight to download games, and this morning still getting blue screen of death still getting no bootable device found thing, i ran sfc and it found problems again and fixed it... right after the format, now blue screens gone again but why this thing keeps happening and started all of a sudden? my windows located on my ssd and diagnostic tool says ssd is okay, my rams are ok as well, i was downclocking my cpu to not to hit thermal threshold easily during gaming but i dont think it harmed the cpu and caused all of these problems at all, checked the SFC log file and it keeps giving warnings like this '' Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.2075, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
New owner: Microsoft-Windows-shell32, version 10.0.19041.2075, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
2022-11-08 16:38:52, Info CSI 000001b3 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ is owned twice or has its security set twice '' and it has multiple different warnings for different file paths like this one. is there anything i can do to pinpoint the problem? because i think something working on the background keeps corrupting my windows files, i dont really think hardware is the issue at this point because i ran windows and dell diagnostic tools and hardware seems okay

Solution
You might have to take ssd out to be sure its only installilng windows on the hdd. If installer sees the boot partition on ssd, it will add itself and if the drive is the problem, that won't end well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
drives randomly disappearing isn't a a good sign that the drive won't just stop showing at all. You might want to think about replacing it.

is there anything i can do to pinpoint the problem? because i think something working on the background keeps corrupting my windows files, i dont really think hardware is the issue at this point because i ran windows and dell diagnostic tools and hardware seems okay
that could be the drive as well. Windows installs shouldn't break right away.

try this and see if it helps sfc
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

rustynetwork

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
image2 okay what do you think now? i have 512 gb ssd and 1tb hdd on my laptop, does it make sense to completely ignore ssd and install windows on hdd, just to see if the problem resolves or not? also i searched the exact error that shows up when i cant boot my pc, people in dell forums were talking about a specific windows update causing the no boot issue and there is that if thats the case i dont know what to do

Colif

Win 11 Master
You might have to take ssd out to be sure its only installilng windows on the hdd. If installer sees the boot partition on ssd, it will add itself and if the drive is the problem, that won't end well.

Solution

rustynetwork

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
i will just format my pc again completely delete both C and D volumes and only install stuff on D which is hdd, so technically SSD will be unformatted and invisible when i boot the windows and HDD will be the new C vol and im gonna use it that way, does this make any sense ? that way there shouldnt be any boot files on the ssd right? or only way to make sure is removing the ssd ?

rustynetwork

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
one last question though, is there any third party software that helps me figure out whether the ssd is healthy or not? i know removing the ssd is the ultimate solution but still asking :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
one last question though, is there any third party software that helps me figure out whether the ssd is healthy or not? i know removing the ssd is the ultimate solution but still asking :)
you can run this, it will look at the smart score of the drive.
Click blue icons - https://crystalmark.info/en/
all drives automatically report that score.
But if problem is a physical one, it might not show on reports.

rustynetwork

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
I was playing a game, first my game froze then i got blue screen of death then i had to shut down i tried to boot my pc again it ran diagnostic tools automatically and it literally stucked on "initializing storage" then it got past that and finished scanning hardware and bam i got first ever " warning your system hard drive failing" kinda message, i couldnt read all the message, because my laptop was making very weird and loud warning sound in the middle of the night, i had to force shut down now again its been working perfectly fine for the last 24 hours, so system hard drive means my ssd right? Not the hdd ? Technically ssd is a solid state disk, it kinda confused me because my all games are on the hdd and my ssd's smart scores are perfect literally compared to hdd ones , is it my ssd or hdd ? Its ssd i know but still just want to make sure of it because ill purchase a ssd online asap also my ssd is nvme 2.5 inch what kind of ssd should i buy ? Nvme and m2 ssd are the same thing ? What shoud i look for when purchasing a ssd in terms of compatibility? Because i might purchase a random non compatible ssd by mistake, i guess i have a 128 gbs liteon ssd

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you didn't take the ssd out and put windows on the hdd, then yes... the ssd is the system drive

Its ssd i know but still just want to make sure of it because ill purchase a ssd online asap also my ssd is nvme 2.5 inch what kind of ssd should i buy ? Nvme and m2 ssd are the same thing ?

SSD look like a credit card, nvme look like a stick of gum. I wouldn't want to buy the wrong type. I can't tell as you can get 128gb liteon ssd and nvme

what model dell notebook so I can make sure? how big was the ssd?
i have 512 gb ssd and 1tb hdd on my laptop,
Because i might purchase a random non compatible ssd by mistake, i guess i have a 128 gbs liteon ssd
cause I am getting confused (its not hard to confuse me)

Either way I would aim for a larger capacity drive. Get a 500gb drive as the bigger the drive is, the more extra space is put aside for error correction. They last longer.

Last edited:

rustynetwork

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
yes sorry for that i have 512 gigs ssd on my desktop, i dont know what was i thinking by writing that, on my laptop i have 128 gb ssd, i have a dell inspiron 7577 and it says that my pc has liteon m.2 nvme 128 gb ssd, so i guess ill purchase a 512 gbs m.2 nvme ssd