[SOLVED] Blue Screen of Death or freezes after 10 to 20 minutes of use

Aug 8, 2020
So I build my first computer and things have been going fine running the computer the whole day. That was until I enabled XMP for the first time, then after 10-20 min my system crashes, freezes, or blue screen of death. When I do get to the blue screen of death the error codes given are Machine_Check_Exception or Clock_Watchdog_Timeout so I tried disabling XMP to try and get it to work but the problem still persisted after 10-20 minutes of use.

Things I thought to be issues were the ram sticks. They are from different kits but same exact specs, just different versions (ver 4.32 & ver 8.31). I tried running Memtest86, but crashes at Test 3 Moving Inversions. I then tested each pair of sticks on their own and still crashes at test 3, or freezes/ blue screen of death after 10-20 minutes of use. So maybe its not the ram sticks?

I have tried switching the CPU Over Voltage jumper from enabled to disabled and back. Not really sure what i should be setting that as tbh. But neither fixes the problem.

I am thinking of trying to Clear RTC RAM with a jumper and see if that fixes anything, but also am afraid it would mess up something.

I am unsure on how to go about this or what else to do to try and diagnose the problem. I don't really have spare parts to test which part is faulty either. It was working just fine for 8 hours until i tried enabling xmp and benchmarking it using intel extreme tuning utility.

If you have any suggestions on what I should try, please let me know! It would be much appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB VENTUS GP Video Card
Case: NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
no overclocks? they can cause MCE errors

This test uses the moving inversions algorithm with patterns of all ones and zeros. Cache is enabled even though it interferes to some degree with the test algorithm. With cache enabled this test does not take long and should quickly find all "hard" errors and some more subtle errors. This is done in parallel using all CPUs.
https://www.memtest86.com/tech_individual-test-descr.html

If you getting errors in memtest it is likely the ram. Normally ram makers accept failing memtest as a valid reason for replacements.

Colif

Win 11 Master
no overclocks? they can cause MCE errors

This test uses the moving inversions algorithm with patterns of all ones and zeros. Cache is enabled even though it interferes to some degree with the test algorithm. With cache enabled this test does not take long and should quickly find all "hard" errors and some more subtle errors. This is done in parallel using all CPUs.
https://www.memtest86.com/tech_individual-test-descr.html

If you getting errors in memtest it is likely the ram. Normally ram makers accept failing memtest as a valid reason for replacements.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS