Blue Screen of Death - PSU or RAM?

aciddemon123

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2014
Hello,

i'm having an issue in my other desktop, i keep getting blue screen of death and i've replaced the HDD with a new one, i'm not sure if it's the RAMs or the PSU, how can i check this ?

Thanks!

heshclub7

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Post your full system specs. Then plug in each individual stick of RAM one at a time and boot the PC. If none of them work, try a different slot. This should let you know if it’s a RAM problem. If all the sticks are good, it may be a PSU problem.

Blue screen isn't usually the power supply. A marginal power supply can fail like that in the middle of something intense, e.g., some games, but your GPU isn't a very power hungry one. If it always goes into blue screen, then RAM is more likely. Try creating a bootable memtest86 thumb drive and test on this...it'll avoid any software issues from windows and directly tell you about memory failures (but usually you need to run it overnight for "marginal" RAM...or if it is an outright failure it'll find a specific address of failure).

you would have to provide the windows diagnostic memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory
ie copy the files to a cloud server like microsoft one drive, share the files for public access and post a link.
someone can take a look with a windows debugger and see why windows shutdown.

note: there are hundreds of bugcheck codes, each can have multiple error codes so there are just too many combinations to guess. better to just look at the memory dump.

fyi: here is the simple list of bugcheck codes:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-code-reference2