blue screen of death! stop 0x00000051

Mikey-J

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
So a few weeks ago i suddenly get a blue screen of death(BSOD). i run disk check, try repairing my disk with the OS disk, and even formatting the disk. nothing worked. i then gave up and replaced my hdd. SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN! I then took my whole pc apart, and put it back together again, put in a new hdd (the third one now), and everything seemed to be working just fine for a while. Until just now! My pc boots fine and everything runs perfectly for a few mins but then BAM! i get a BSOD telling me "registry error" with stop 0x00000051. Felt like somebody punched me in the gut. it works just fine in safe mode. i really don't know what to do anymore guys. feel like ripping out my hair and i'm really worried about my baby(my pc lol). it's like this nightmare won't end. Can anybody please tell me how to solve this issue in simple layman's terms lol. this was my fist ever rig. PLEASE HELP!!

System:
i5 3570k
MSI MPower Z77
8GB (4GBx2) corsair vengence ddr3 1600 RAM
Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB oc
Thermaltake 650W litepower psu
win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
thanks in advance guys.

Solution
bugcheck was cause because mscorsvw.exe ( .net runtime optimizer service)
tried to delete a registry entry. the system stored the change but when it went to commit the change to the registry it got a error.

the error code is not documented but there are some protected registry keys that should not be touched/modified.
(run malwarebytes to check for malware)

The registry is on the hard drive, you would also get this error if you had happened to have a bad sector on the exact spot where the registry entry that was being read/written was located. (windows 8 will attempt to repair these errors, windows 7 will not and you have to repair)

most likely an app using .net told the system to make a bogus registry change. Or malware...
also do a malwarebytes scan, there are malware programs that will modifiy your system and cause this bugcheck.

if the system is stable under safe mode, your problem can also be cause by a 3rd party driver you are loading.

if you do get a memory dmp file you can put it on a public server and I can take a quick look.

if you take the error at face value, you would check your SATA port connection from your motheboard to the harddrive and make sure you have a good connection.
or move your SATA connection to another port, use the Intel ports rather than the add on chipset ports. Also update your chipset drivers for your motherboard. if you have a intel cpu get them directly from the intel website https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775
-you might also turn off lazy writes to your hard drive. This makes the system confirm writes rather than assume that they work.

Mikey-J

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

here is the link to the memory.dmp and dmp files. I would really appreciate your help in solving this problem. thanks.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4F176D2C5F5E9891%21105

i did a start-up repair and restored my pc, and it seems to be fine for now. but i'm worried it will happen again.
thanks a lot

bugcheck was cause because mscorsvw.exe ( .net runtime optimizer service)
tried to delete a registry entry. the system stored the change but when it went to commit the change to the registry it got a error.

the error code is not documented but there are some protected registry keys that should not be touched/modified.
(run malwarebytes to check for malware)

The registry is on the hard drive, you would also get this error if you had happened to have a bad sector on the exact spot where the registry entry that was being read/written was located. (windows 8 will attempt to repair these errors, windows 7 will not and you have to repair)

most likely an app using .net told the system to make a bogus registry change. Or malware attempted to make a change to
harm your system.

note: I could only read your minidump, the format of the kernel dump was corrupted and I could not read it.
That may indicated you have corruption problems with your system. You should binary file compare your local copy of your memory.dmp with the copy you put on the cloud server.

as to drivers:
remove these:
\C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\OTPService\NTIOLib_X64.sys Sun Oct 04 18:28:48 2009 (4AC94BD0)
\C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI\Super-Charger\NTIOLib_X64.sys Thu Oct 25 03:27:58 2012 (5089142E)

very bad news to have two copies of the same file installed

also, do yourself a favor and update this file
SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\athurx.sys Thu Oct 06 03:10:34 2011
(these one tends to corrupt memory and cause lots of problems)

and this one
SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Rt64win7.sys Wed Feb 15 21:39:50 2012
(realtek ethernet driver, various bug fixes and you should be able to get a current driver from their website)

Solution

Mikey-J

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014

thanks a lot i will do so!

Mikey-J

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
so its been almost a month and everything has been fine for a while. now i'm really at my wits end. another hard drive has died. it started like this: my desktop icons vanish, sound and internet stops working. i cant start task manager, and then i just reboot. this happened at least once a day and now my hdd wont work. i have no idea if it could be my Motherboard or psu or what. really disappointed and frustrated and don't know what the hell keeps killing my hard-drives even after formatting everything and updating drivers. don't think ill ever buy msi or thermaltake products again. anybody have any idea what the problem is?? i should mention that it is only the hard drive running my operating system that gets affected. the others seem fine.