• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Blue Screen of Death "stop" message is killing me.

Im getting a BSOD stop message that I cant seem to find a fix for on
windows xp. Ive tried running in safe mode and restoring, but its not
working. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is the
exact message...

STOP:c0000269 {illegal system dll relocation}

The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will
not rune properly.
The relocation occured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor
supplying the DLL should %s %s

--
meangreen
meangreen's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11765

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Run a virus scan. Good antiviruses can boot from CD, example Norton
AntiVirus. This probably won't fix your problem, but it will get the
possibility of a virus out of the way.

"meangreen" wrote:

> Im getting a BSOD stop message that I cant seem to find a fix for on
> windows xp. Ive tried running in safe mode and restoring, but its not
> working. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is the
> exact message...
>
> STOP:c0000269 {illegal system dll relocation}
>
> The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will
> not rune properly.
> The relocation occured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
> occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor
> supplying the DLL should %s %s
>

> --
> meangreen
> meangreen's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11765
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819061549

How about trying a non destructive reinstall and if that doesn't do it
try the recovery console thingy.
Brush-Head

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights"

John Paul Getty 1892 - 1976

meangreen wrote:
> Lets go geeks. That cant be the only suggestion?

Were you able to resolve this one?

Exact same thing is happening on my computer, right after windows security
upgrade.

by the way is your computer a Compaq or bought at bestbuy?

bluegreen

I have the same problem, just started after the April security updates.

The one computer that exhibits this issue has (of course!) a beta
or RC of SP2 on it. I know it is NOT release, but probably RC1 or RC2
of SP2. Of course, no amount of last known ... has worked.

I am afraid that a full re-install is required, as Microsoft did not
anticipate
us silly testers to keep betas and RC's running after RTM of RC2.

Is this your case?

jamesm

"meangreen" wrote:

> Im getting a BSOD stop message that I cant seem to find a fix for on
> windows xp. Ive tried running in safe mode and restoring, but its not
> working. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is the
> exact message...
>
> STOP:c0000269 {illegal system dll relocation}
>
> The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will
> not rune properly.
> The relocation occured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
> occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor
> supplying the DLL should %s %s
>

> --
> meangreen
> meangreen's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11765
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819061549

I don't have a beta version of SP2.

I re-installed winxp SP2, with delete the c:\windows option. The problem
re-appeared after security update from microsoft.

Microsoft says it might be a OEM computer specific problem.

my computer is Compaq preserio laptop.

I have the same error message when i tried to install a program but haven't
encountered the "blue screen of death" symptom. Initially I thought the
problem was related to the specific program (which was from a reputable
website) but now everytime I try to download any new programs the error msg
will appear. I'm not sure if this problem is due to the security update.
Please help!

"jamesm" wrote:

> I have the same problem, just started after the April security updates.
>
> The one computer that exhibits this issue has (of course!) a beta
> or RC of SP2 on it. I know it is NOT release, but probably RC1 or RC2
> of SP2. Of course, no amount of last known ... has worked.
>
> I am afraid that a full re-install is required, as Microsoft did not
> anticipate
> us silly testers to keep betas and RC's running after RTM of RC2.
>
> Is this your case?
>
> jamesm
>

> "meangreen" wrote:
>

> > Im getting a BSOD stop message that I cant seem to find a fix for on
> > windows xp. Ive tried running in safe mode and restoring, but its not
> > working. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is the
> > exact message...
> >
> > STOP:c0000269 {illegal system dll relocation}
> >
> > The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will
> > not rune properly.
> > The relocation occured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
> > occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor
> > supplying the DLL should %s %s
> >

> > --
> > meangreen
> > meangreen's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11765
> > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819061549

i had this problem today on a xp pro sp2 rc12 computer. to solve it, get
the same xp cd used to install on that pc, reboot the system and press a
button to load from cd. press enter to setup windows xp. then, select
your ****ed xp installation and press R to repair it.

this will sort out the problem without losing data or settings.
afterwards, stop using windows update!!

hope this helps,

R i K

--
rikesh
rikesh's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12463

I believe somebody mentioned that this problem occured after an April update;
tracing back the April updates it would seem that MS05-018 is the culprit
since it apparently updates user32.dll and various NT*.dll's mentioned in the
error message.

I'm going to try and locate a method of selectively removing this update to
see if this quickly corrects the problem without a restore or if that is not
possible do a restore and avoid this update.

"meangreen" wrote:

> Im getting a BSOD stop message that I cant seem to find a fix for on
> windows xp. Ive tried running in safe mode and restoring, but its not
> working. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. This is the
> exact message...
>
> STOP:c0000269 {illegal system dll relocation}
>
> The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will
> not rune properly.
> The relocation occured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll
> occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor
> supplying the DLL should %s %s
>

> --
> meangreen
> meangreen's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11765
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819061549

We've had this happen to 2 Pentium machines, both immediately after Windows
Update following fresh install of XP Pro SP2. I've got other XP machines
that have been updating normally for months/years.

Apparently there's a ploblem w/ Windows Update and XP installed from CD's
containing SP2.

--
Thanks,!
Ben