Blue screen of death while playing Assasin creed

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
Hello Everyone,
Below is my PC config:
Core I-7, Corrsair 16GB RAM, Asus GTX970 4 GB grphic card, Asus 97z Pro wifi Motherboard
I am getting blue screen of death error while playing the assassin creed syndicate game
can anyone help me

Solution
85C is a little high, even under load, the possibility of thermal throttling is still not out of question. Change your thermal compound and see what happens. (If you need help re-applying or taking off paste, just ask)

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

I have done the overclocking at the time of setting up the PC i.e., 6 months back.
PFA BSOD which I am getting while playing assassin creed syndicate , call of duty advanced warfare
http://postimg.org/image/z2bqnixsf/

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
These were taken when the game crashed? And is this how the temps are shown when gaming? I don't 'directly' see the GPU temperature(s) (unless that NVIDIA text is, which is 43°C, low).

For anyone wanting to see it without the info:
52°C (125°F) [0x34] (CPU)
38°C (100°F) [0x26] (Mainboard) (don't need)
43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (TMPIN0) (NVIDIA)

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

This data taken in normal mode.
when game crashed , i just see the blue screen and after that i have to hard boot the computer

so, you are saying is this issue related to PC temperature ? and not hardware and software or driver related issue ?

also is there any chance that , this issue bcz of wrong overclocking ? how can i check my overclocking is correct or not ?

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I'm not saying it's due to temperatures, Nimbian suggested checking temps and I provided the resources for you to check.

Now, by 'normal' mode, do you mean idle as in just on the Windows desktop with no windows/games/processes running, or as it normal gaming mode?

We want to narrow down the possible issues first, starting with the easiest/fastest things first. It could very well be a hard-drive problem. How much did you overclock? It could be that your GPU did not take the overclock well (all GPUs handle OC differently). Do you remember your original memory and core clock? If not, check your official GPU website and downclock to it's original settings.

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

Normal mode means - i am running windows and some viseos just now.
and i never face issue in this mode.
i face blue screen error only when i start high performance games
if i play assasin creed black flag ... it never crashes
but if i strat call of duty advanced warfare or assasin creed syndicate .... i will definetly get the blue screen error

one more point to add - i never faced this issue earlier when i was playing call of duty advanced warfare but suddenly 1 week back when i started the PC , it directly went to overclocking mode, i set everything to default and restart the PC and after that i am facing issues of blue screen.

can any one help me to configure/overclock my PC properly, I am having high configs but its of no use :(

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

i have started the game and take the snapshot of temprature while playing the game. can you please check. is it normal ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvzsm62vsqlz0ab/JITENDRAS.html?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxx3by7c4xr94sy/cpu%20temp.PNG?dl=0

if this is not normal , what steps i have to take

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
85C is a little high, even under load, the possibility of thermal throttling is still not out of question. Change your thermal compound and see what happens. (If you need help re-applying or taking off paste, just ask)

Solution

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

I am using Coolermaster K380 Chasis which comes with inbuild fan at front of chasis
i purchased three coolermaster silent fan 120 S12 and installed it in top,bottom and side of the chasis
and for processor, i installed the default fan which comes with it.

i am little bit confused about changing thermal compound ?
do i need to remove processor fan and install again ? if yes i will require help to do this

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Refer to this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlEspgGGEt4

{PLEASE MAKE SURE POWER IS DISCONNECTED}
1. Remove the CPU fan (heatsink)
2. Remove thermal compound using rubbing alcohol (using a clean rag, paper towels/napkins will NOT do the job well), to get the correct amount, place the rag and cover the top of the bottle with the rag. Carefully turn over the bottle until it's inverted (upside-down) and turn it back over.
3. Without touching the sides, gently rub the top of the CPU until all thermal compound is gone
4. Apply your thermal compound, using the little-bubble technique (make a little bubble in the middle of the CPU, not a big one, very small) and spread the thermal paste out using a thermal compound spreader (should have come with your thermal paste). You don't need to get all of it, just spread it flat into a flat circle. (When heat is applied, it will naturally spread out)
5. Place the CPU fan (heatsink) back onto the CPU (correctly, otherwise this could ruin the thermal paste)

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

Thanks for links and procedure.
do you think , i am getting ths BSOD only bcz of over heat ?
if yes, along with thermal paste change, do i need to change my all cooling fans including CPU fan?
if yes, what are the best options ?

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I have no idea if the cause of the BSoD is because of overheating, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It sounds like it might be. Most likely no, you don't need to change out the fans/cooler, but if you're using the stock CPU heatsink, I'd suggest an upgrade. Once the thermal paste is applied and I can verify the temps do not need a change in a cooler, and is not the cause of the BSoD, then I can look further into that.

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

Thanks a lot for your answer.
One more question: The thermal paste which I have to apply is different from the default which come with stock CPU heat sink ? is there any preferred brand / manufacturer of thermal paste which I have to use for this procedure or any good quality will work ?
Also I realized my normal CPU temp is 50 -55C .. is it same for all ?

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Sorry for the late response; no, at least not for me anyways, but Arctic Silver paste is good. If it's different then the thermal compound on the heatsink then it's fine. Change the thermal paste and see if your idle temps change.

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

Hey bakua, finally i got time to buy below products
1) hutixi thermal grease HT-GY260 ,
2) local brand clinical sprit which have 70% of isopropyl alcohol , is it okay if i use this ?

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Not familiar with either one, sadly, though they should work. The 70% alcohol will work, but for future references, choose 99% or close to that, water is conductive and you wouldn't want that on your MOBO/CPU (don't know if you're taking it out).

Those will work, but the 70% alcohol will take a little longer to dry, so I would wait on applying the heatsink, and make sure that's it completely dry before applying the heatsink. Refer to some YouTube videos (I say this because it's easier for most people to see what they're supposed to do), and remember that when applying thermal compound, that you only need to apply in the middle, and make it about the size of a grain of rice.

Joseph_74

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

I had the same issue while running this game and it all depends on where the game is installed you have to make sure it is fully installed on your C drive I had mine on a external and I had the notorious blue screen of death as well.Hope this works.

Game On!

JJ1910

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016

HEY !! Finally managed to reduce CPU temp by the way you suggested.

PFA updated CPUZ report

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a426xnl0n3xy45y/CPUID%20ASUS%20CPU-Z1.html?dl=0
check if these temp are okay ? and no need to buy new heatsink/fan for cpu .. :)

i cleaned up my PC and i didnt get blue screen when i played the game by keeping cabinet open
now i will fix the cabinet and try again..