Blue Screen of DEATH!

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Hey, I recently purchased new hardware for my system, installed all the components and to cut a long story short. I got everything working. Things where completely fine, I was running Windows Vista 64bit Business, but after some time using it things start to have problems. I was using 3dsmax 2010 and after an hour it just crashed my whole computer, not only that but it was corrupting all my auto backs in the process. This was simply unworkable as I rely on 3dsmax for my day to day work.

I decided to reformat and install 32bit enterprise instead, all was good got everything working. Then BAM! blue screen of death, I just asumed this was a random crash and continued. A few hours later another crash... This was getting to the point where I was a little concerned so I continued, until it happened again when installing an applications. I checked my hard drives and decided to reformat, making sure it wasn't just a funky install. But while loading up my fresh copy of Enterprise for the 2nd time it crashed, I loaded it up again and it ran for an hour then crashed again.

I reformatted yet again, but this time I formatted all my hard drives and backed up all my work on a portable. But same problem, after a period of time it blue screens.

I then tried Business 32bit asuming my Enterprise disk might be corrupted and it worked fine... for around an hour, before it suddenly restarted without the blue screen. Then again without the blue screen... Now, at the present time its restarting at random periods of time and causing the blue screen. Here is the error log I'm getting.

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
18/05/2009 19:43

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
Mini051809-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: a
BCP1: 07258894
BCP2: 0000001B
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 81A7A8DC
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

I hope someone can help, I was running my new system for over two weeks before this all started happening, so surly something can't be broken? I have also had my memory for around 5months, so I'm sure that can't be broken. I'm so frustrated and have been trying to solve this for two days straight, when ever reinstall I do looses me even more time on my work.

I'm in an emergency :(

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks, I have done all those already or if I hadn't I just did them now and still nothing :(

I think its coming close to been a hardware fault but I really can't afford to replace anything so I'm fighting towards trying to solve it in hopes its still a software problem.

Anyone else got any ideas :(

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Okies, I'm still having this problem. I removed all my other hard drives incase thats what was causing it but low and behold, a few hours after install I get blue screened again! My next test is the memory, I have switched it out for some old stuff. Fingers crossed this works!

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Okies, well I have checked both the memory, graphics card, hard drives with others that are working fine, but still the problem persists. I have installed two types of 32bit operating system, Enterprise and Business. Now I'm down to my last legs, these been trying 64bit business in hopes that it has something to do with my memory. But saying that I tried my old sticks of Ram and it still happened.

Ugh, I don't have a clue. Its been three days now. If I get an job opening at this point I will loose my mind. I'm down to the last known thing, that been buying a new motherboard.

I'm running a q9550 and 260gtx on a p5n32e-sli plus. I know this motherboard isn't suposed to suport this tech and there have been issues, but with the bios update it was running fine until I decided to reformat as I was getting random crashes inside 3dsmax 2010.

UGH!

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

Nothing to do with your Mobo running that processor or graphics card i have the same one and had no probs for a couple of years, deffinatly would try a another PSU, as the PSU could have irregular voltages and causing your BSOD problem!

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
My PSU is brand new... It was also working fine for 2 weeks, I have installed Business 64bit and its been running without a crash for about 4-5 hours now which is a new record.

The reason I reformatted in the first place was because Sandbox2 refuses to work on Vista64 and 3dsmax2010 was crashing my computer. I thought I would revert to 32bit to solve both the sandbox problem and fingers crossed the 3dsmax2010 crash. But only had blue screens of death since that point, there was one point when it simply restarted without a blue screen, but thats the only none blue screen of death thats happened on 32bit.

I have no clue whats going on, I have a 500Watt PSU spare, even though my 260GTX needs a 550min, I could try it.

*jumps of a cliff*

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
The crash just happened with Windows Business 64, so its now down to the PSU, Motherboard or CPU. I will try the 500watt PSU, I just hope my PC doesn't blow up in the process as my GPU recommends 550minimum

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Okies, I'm running the old 500 Watt PSU and as far as I'm aware it should be fine as my computer requires 480Watts under load.

Sorry to ask, but why would a new PSU not work asuming everything goes right and my computer continues to work? Did I buy a wrongly speced PSU or was it simply a fault one?

Basiclly I'm asking this because I'm getting a fairly cheap branded one, its a OCZ. On the back sticker it says its

AC Input 11-240v 10A
Frequency 50-60hz
Max.Load 700W

Is that a bad PSU and should I invest more money into one, or asuming as I said. Its causing the problem. Should I simply get it replaced?

I say this because after reading some GFX power consumpion on the 260 it said something about 12A when my PSU says 10A here....

*feels stupid*

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I say this because after reading some GFX power consumpion on the 260 it said something about 12A when my PSU says 10A here....

That is probably the answer.
The amperage is often more important.
This wont exactly apply to you but read this as it explains it fairly well.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2003&p_created=1166607492&p_sid=dfMthm_i&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTUsMTUmcF9wcm9kcz0yJnBfY2F0cz01OCZwX3B2PTEuMiZwX2N2PTEuNTgmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXBvd2Vy&p_li=&p_topview=1

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks all the suport guys, my computer has been running under strain for a while now. I will send the PSU back and get it replaced. I just hope things luck up as not having my PC right now is a really bad idea. I just got offered a job so I'm excited but also nervous. Need my PC to work!

I'm holding my breath, but again. Thanks for all the suport and help. I would most likily have keeled over and wasted money on a new motherboard without the feedback on that fact it could be my PSU.

Thanks again! Really can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me out.

michaelst_54

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
That motherboard does NOT support that CPU.

The maximum quad core supported according to the website is a QX6850.

It will never work right, and you will always have problems - until ASUS bios suports it.

ichii3d

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

It does suport it, I'm using the most up to date bios and it runs fine, there are also plenty of other people using the same setup as its actually a really good motherboard.