blue screen on dell inspiron 9400: unmountable_boot_volume - win xp - error code 0x000000ED

suzanne1

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
after trying to resize my system partition with a free program yesterday, i cannot start my pc any longer. only a blue screen appears with the above error code. when i press f8 on rebooting i invariably come to the safe mode screen for text input. but it is not possible to enter any text, such as chkdsk/r. the system does not respond at all. unfortunately, also my cd/rw drive is out of order (it has already been before). pls help me. what can i do? thanks a lot.
suzanne

suzanne1

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Thank you for your fast reply. I went into the bios and changed the booting order to cd/rw disk drive. However, there is no option for a usb stick. Would it work anyhow, or do i need to buy an external cd drive?

Found the following on a Dell support forum: Start the sys and press F2 to enter the bios.Use the up and down arrow keys and find an option which says "USB Emulation" and If this is disabled you will not be able to boot from usb drives. So make sure this is enabled in bios. Also go to boot sequence in Bios and set " USB" as first option and "HDD" as second in the list. save changes and exit.This must resolve ur issue.Please update if not.Will find a resolution.

suzanne1

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
The USB emulation is enabled. In the boot sequence it says that only devices preceded by a number are bootable. And the usb storage device there does not have a number. Nevertheless, I set it as first option. But i am afraid it might not work. The boot sequence now is the following:
usb storage device
1. internal hdd
diskette drive
2. cd/dvd/cd-rw drive
onboard nic

suzanne1

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
I will give it a try. Hope my USB Sticks are big enough (max. 8 GB). If it should not work, may I come back to you? or should I buy an external dvd drive?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Suzanne1

Better create a new thread, if it doesn't work.