Blue Screen on New Build

welst

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I built a new system this week, after waiting nearly 7 months from when I purchased the parts. Initially I placed the memory in the wrong slots, which caused an error. Replaced memory in the correct slots and upgraded Bios from F1 to F6. Loaded Win 7-64 and started loading applications. Started to get blue screens just after Windows loaded up. Tweaked the CMOS to some other settings and still got the blue screens. Looked for a dump file and don’t see any to tell me where it’s crashing. I couldn’t even load Everest to test the memory. Loaded Windows 32-bit to see if the 64-bit was the problem and still get the blue screen. Every time I load new Windows, it updates the Radeon Driver and a few other fixes.

Possible Problems:
1.Corrupt Bios. I tried to reload F6 from Gigabyte’s website and the computer tells me it can’t load because it’s not a 64-bit application..???
2.Video Card Driver with Win 7 – 64bit (tried Win 7 – 32 bit and same problem.
3.Memory – I took out all memory except one stick and still same problem even after switching sticks.
4.Adjusted CMOS to tweak since the memory is 1.65V and MB Spec is 1.5V. Memory is on the approved list for MB, though. I adjusted timings, Profile’s, XMP, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I’m on my 2nd day of trying to get this system stable.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1 – Bios F6
Intel i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W
6 GB DDR3 2000 G Skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD
Sapphire 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit Video Card
Corsair HX Series 850W Power
WD Black 1TB HD
Samsung T220HD Monitor
Win 7 – 64bit

welst

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

No issues in safe mode - no BSODs. Tried loading latest Catalyst software/drivers. Even updated BIOS on video card. Checked memory and no problems there, supposedly. Tried loading Windows again and still get same situation. Maybe I'll try loading on a new hard drive.....

welst

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I changed memory to a slower 1.5V model and still BSODs. I then changed from the Radeon HD 5850 video card to a GeoForce GTS 450 and that was the ticket. Could be a bad leg on the power supply since the 5850 took two leads versus one by the 450, but I'll check later with a multimeter. I'm betting it was the 5850 and Windows 7 64bit.... I then placed the 5850 on another system with Vista 32bit and no problems with it....

Hallelujah!!!!

welst

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I was using Catalyst 10.9. I noticed today that they came out with a newer version which I downloaded and installed (with the usual difficulities) on the Vista-32 system. With the Win 7-64 I could barely get Windows up before BSOD. In Vista-32, no problems except Windows won't start on a cold boot. I hit the reset button, and no problems.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
You are not the only one with this problem.
Couple of questions
How did the test with the multimeter go?

I take it the new version you are using is 10.10.
Have you updated Windows 7?
Are you using the 64bit version for windows 7 and the 32 bit version for Vista?
Are you using the normal (42MB) or the APP version (92.1MB)?

welst

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I noticed they sell a power tester, which I will order - Coolmax PS-228 RT - and try it out.
I did download Version 10.10 and it's up and running. I did have a BSOD recently, which makes me wonder....
Using Vista 32b Ultimate on one system and Win 7 64b on antoher system. I just transfered the board from one system to the other after I couldn't get the Win 7 64bit to work with the card.
I used the normal (42MB) version only because I didn't know the difference between the two.
I put in a RMA for the Sapphire card - don't know how/when that will happen.
I did purchase a new EVGA card (GTX 460). Not as powerfull as the Sapphire, but should not have any problems loading (fingers crossed).

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I was not clear, my appologies.
I was just checking you are you using the 64bit driver for your Windows 7 installation.
Have you tried uninstalling Catalyst and using the defualt driver from Microsoft?
This would give some clue if there is a conflict with the Catalyst software.