Blue Screen on Windows 7 Install

Rothinzil

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I just recently put together a desktop, and as I go to install Windows 7, it will load the Windows files, lock up at the splash screen and blue screen on me. I'm honestly at a loss at this point. I was told it was the RAM, but I replaced that and still have the same issues. I don't remember the error codes off-hand, but I can snag a picture if that would help.

Build specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX Pro 2.0
HD: Western Digital Black 1TB
GPU: Radeon HD 7950
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get this build up and running.

Rothinzil

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I'm using an Antec HCG-900. I tried running memtestx86, but within 30 seconds, the system rebooted itself and started the test over again and continued doing that.

Rothinzil

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
This is my first from-scratch build, and I've never messed with any settings like that on my computers. I'm kind of new to all the voltages and power readings so pardon the obviously-stupid questions, but what should it all be looking like?

Well, I'm just going down the list of things I would personally check as I'm not their I can't personally know everything. But essentially what I'm saying is this.

1. you power up your computer and you get a blue screen and I would take it by my guess a restart.
1a. I would check to see how your hard drive was installed first if it was set to AHCI which it should be some boards are very very finicky and will only accept this.
This has to be setup in the bios!
2. Power Supply. when you go through your bios you'll normally see a screen that's displaying constant power updates I would just check to see if things were normal 12v 3v 5 volt things of that sense however this is probably not the issue just in line of things I'd check.
3. As already mentioned you have already checked that the settings are defaulted.
4. Also you have checked the memtestx86 test which blue screened on you as well which normally isn't a very good sign of the memory.

Rothinzil

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Looking at the power display: CPU is getting 1.368 V, the 5V is reading 5.057V, 3.3 V is reading 3.288, and 12V is reading at 12.046V. My hard drive is set up for AHCI. memtextx86 didn't quite blue screen on me. It just rebooted them system and started over. I've already replaced the RAM once, thinking that was the problem, but I'm getting the same issue with the brand new RAM.

Rothinzil

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Not really sure if it's related, but I'm curious. After the most recent attempt and blue screen, I checked my temperatures, and my CPU was coming in at just a hair under 60 degrees Celsius. If it's that hot after just blue screening, could it be a temperature issue causing it to blue screen or reboot during a memtest?

SNaPSHoT_420

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

did you ever find the issue? I have a fx 8350 and I have the same issue but only with the windows 7 64 bit,the 32 bit works fine!

SNaPSHoT_420

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I have a AMD FX 8350
WD 1TB HD
Geforce GTX 460
16gb patriot viper extreme
Mobo is gigabyte 970A-DS3P

I have the very same issue that I have been dealing with for weeks and I still have yet to get windows installed. the 32 bit attempts install fine but I blue screen at the splash screen of the 64 bit install everytime. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Rothinzil

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

I actually did find the solution to my problem. It ended up being a bad Windows image. Once I tried with a new Windows disc, it worked just fine.

SNaPSHoT_420

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I tried that already. Ive tried 2 different discs and the 64 bit version just wont work only 32 bit.

dudjoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Hi , im writing this to help out in the process of identifying this issue, i'm a computer tech and i had the same issue ,i have tried swapping HDD , DVD (different copies of windows 7 and 8.1 ) even tried swapping ram . but then i remembered that the hdd im using have already windows on so maybe that is the issue , i booted from a disc into mini xp and formatted the hdd and deleted all the partitions then tried to install windows 8.1 again and it worked.. i dunno what was the main issue but it worked ...let me know what is your feed back

dudjoe

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
an update on that issue , when i installed the 2*8GB RAM I GOT BLUE SCREEN , i tried other ram only one ram works on this pc from some reason i dunno if it is related to the ghz or the voltage , so next time you get this blue screen error while installing windows know that its a ram issue ,because it makes sense , at that stage where everything is being copied to the ram not the hdd

Change the record, you've said the same thing in like 6 posts

whiskeypirate

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

This just happened to me right after I replaced the power supply. The mention of memory got me checking and I discovered I had knocked a DIMM loose. I reseated all of my DIMMs and that fixed it. Because I had 8G8GB and only 1 only 1 DIMM was loose, 32-bit worked fine but 64-bit died at startup, even booting from the install disk. Hope that helps.

Jerryg50

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015

Sounds like a possible bad RAM. I have also seen a bad display card, and also a problem with the mother board. The cheapest try is to try with a new RAM just to get going. If that does not work try the display card.

The computer has only for major things that can cause a Blue Screen. RAM, Display Card, Power Supply, and the Mother Board. On a very rare occasion the CPU can cause some problems if it is defective (Very Rare).

bunminaomi

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

dudjoe: please can dis method be used for a laptop and how

randyb79

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Well, after looking through my PC with this error, I notices that there was tons of dust covering my cpu fan. So I took my vacuum cleaner and blowed out all the dust. Then when I turned my computer back on, it installed without a blue screen or any problem!