Question Blue Screen or Game Crashes (3 different GPUs, same problem)

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Built this computer almost a year ago. Immediately had problems where games would crash. After some research I thought I got a bad GPU so I sent it back and got a replacement. Continued to have the same problem so I thought it was driver / software related. After about 10 months of dealing with this never ending issue, I ordered the RX 5600 XT GPU to replace my RX 590 and again, after clean windows installs, windows updates, and all drivers installed I yet again blue screen and crash. Could the problem have been my PSU all along? Is there anyway to test without simply ordering a new PSU? Could it be anything else?

PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1GHz
MOBO: ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB @ 3200MHz
GPU: ROG Strix RX 5600 XT
PSU: Corsair CX550M

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Run memtest86 for 8 hrs - any crashes or errors drop your ram OC and test again at stock speed. if you pass then Increase ram speed and retest. B450 & 2000series isn't easy to get to 3200 without B dies. Try 2933.

Thank you for the response... I have had my computer fail once and would not boot where my motherboard would display the error lights that did correspond with faulty ram. I removed a stick and put it right back in and never had the problem again... I'm wondering if maybe you're on to something here.

I just watched a youtube video explaining how to use memtest86 (i had never heard of this before now) but in the video it states there are 13 tests and it will run a total of 4 times. You said to run it for 8 hours? Do you have to change a setting somewhere to sets it to an 8 hour duration?

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Run memtest86 for 8 hrs - any crashes or errors drop your ram OC and test again at stock speed. if you pass then Increase ram speed and retest. B450 & 2000series isn't easy to get to 3200 without B dies. Try 2933.

Ran MemTest86 while I was sleeping, it ran the test 4 times and ZERO errors. 100% pass.

any other ideas?

Is there anyway to test without simply ordering a new PSU?
You could use a simple voltmeter and get some reading off power supply. We have members that can give a heads up though if your make and model power supply is a quality unit.

Just wondering have you tried bread boarding computer out of it's case. Bare bone just the least amount of part just to get her up and running. A card board box works great and gives your Graphics Card room to hang off the edge.

Do you have a spare hard drive you can use instead of your regular in use one this give you freedom to just test with the fewest installed gremlins .........................just ideas to get you going

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
You could use a simple voltmeter and get some reading off power supply. We have members that can give a heads up though if your make and model power supply is a quality unit.

Just wondering have you tried bread boarding computer out of it's case. Bare bone just the least amount of part just to get her up and running. A card board box works great and gives your Graphics Card room to hang off the edge.

Do you have a spare hard drive you can use instead of your regular in use one this give you freedom to just test with the fewest installed gremlins .........................just ideas to get you going

I've got a Corsair CX550 PSU.

I'm not entirely sure what bread boarding is, but I only have my primary NVMe M.2 1TD SSD.