[SOLVED] Blue Screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA when booting from sleep

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 2, 2019
Hey guys, I am getting random BSODs from my ntoskrnl. I posted another thread earlier this month about crashes coming from ntoskrnl but different addresses. This one I got when booting up my computer from sleep mode:

Crash time: 2/17/2019 7:19:42 PM
Bug check string: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check code: 0x00000050
Parameter 1: fffffffffffff927 Parameter 2: 0000000000000000
Parameter 3: fffff802481b345b Parameter 4: 0000000000000002
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+1b3440
File Descripition: NT Kernel & System
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 10.0.17763.253 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Processor: x64
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+1b3440
Processor count: 12
Major version: 15
Minor version: 17763

Dx diag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qxec1Lrfqe_xyEG5fOwRvCm2pMHuJcHx/view?usp=sharing

Dmp file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13wtDqNmDy_t6utZIwaT-nICfMSw3TxKA/view?usp=sharing

Solution
The error is usually triggered by two situations that occur in the kernel mode: either the CPU generated a condition that the kernel is not allowed to catch or the condition is an unrecoverable error. The most common cause is hardware failure, mostly due to faulty or mismatched memory.

It could be the ram type, you have F4-2400C15D-16GFX installed, the only 2400 speed Ram from GSkill on the memory listing on motherboard web site is F4-2400C15S-4GNT, and rysen is said to be picky when it comes to ram.
Feb 2, 2019
Sounds like hardware to me as well. I don't see that you posted them before, maybe I missed it, but what are your full system specs?

Motherboard: B450m Mortar
RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM (F4-2400C15D-16GFX)
GPU: XFX 570 4GB OC+
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
PSU: Corsair CX 600 Watt
HDD: Western digital 1TB HDD

As stated earlier the mobo cpu and ram are all new. My GPU is probably a year old and my PSU has been with me since my first build, it’s quite old at this point and my HDD is 3-4 years old.

I'd probably look at the PSU, first, and likely replace it regardless since it's a known low quality model. I'm actually surprised as heck it's lasted this long with no issues and maybe it hasn't. If you were having problems with your old build that prompted you to upgrade it could easily have been related to that PSU in the first place.

Those old CX units are probably the MOST crippling component (Short of even worse no name or generic power supplies) we have historically seen here added to builds on a regular basis by a company that is a well known name brand that has a trackable record of causing any number of problems across a variety of systems. The fact that is is also old, simply compounds the problem. Obviously I can't guarantee that this is the source of your issue, but it would be highly advisable to do this ANYHOW, even if you were not having any problems, and stands a good chance of BEING the problem because the power supply itself can mimic or cause problems with any other system it is attached to since those systems cannot operate correctly without good, clean, stable power.

The Mortar series of motherboards, and MSI in general, especially on their budget boards, also have a really bad track record. The Mortar and Krait boards, I've probably seen more problems on those series of boards (Both AMD and Intel) than most other boards except the very lowest end entry level boards in each chipset category. The MSI "Pro" boards for example, are usually pretty terrible. That B450m Mortar doesn't even come with heatsinks on some of the VRMs, which is something we typically haven't seen on most mainstream boards since the old AMD chipsets for AM3+, again, except on the very cheapest boards or business class chipsets and sometimes even those have them if they are a decent board. These days, most boards have them.

I think I'd try a new PSU, a good quality unit, first, and then go from there. You don't lose anything by doing so and you may solve your problem without further need to mess with anything. If you don't, at least you will know you've eliminated the most probable cause and can move on to more direct problem solving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My CPU, mobo, and RAM are all new. I got them in December. Is there anything else you can think of before I go through the manufacture warranty process ?

New means nothing, like Darkbreeze said MSi doesn't have the best track record. The likelihood of your CPU or RAM being bad is significantly lower than the chances of the Motherboard. And that PSU is NG too....

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes, my money would be on a problem with the PSU or motherboard. I wouldn't put my life on it, but I'd bet five bucks. LOL.

Yeah I just changed my post I meant to write the likelihood of CPU and Ram is way lower than the motherboard. That PSU is just the cherry on top, with the old CX having the issues it does. In this case though its almost definitely the board.

Feb 2, 2019
Alright guys, it looks like it’s time to swap out some parts. I really appreciate everyone’s time and I’ll go ahead and update the thread when I find out what the issue is just so we can get some closure. Are there any good mobo brands you guys recommend ? I don’t care too much about model...I’ll find something, or should I just get anything other than MSI?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Alright guys, it looks like it’s time to swap out some parts. I really appreciate everyone’s time and I’ll go ahead and update the thread when I find out what the issue is just so we can get some closure. Are there any good mobo brands you guys recommend ? I don’t care too much about model...I’ll find something, or should I just get anything other than MSI?

I'm personally partial to ASUS, but they generally are priced a little higher than other brands.

I like ASUS and ASRock, FIRST, then Gigabyte and if necessary based on availability and price, MSI. I would not buy a budget MSI board though, despite the fact that a lot of people haven't had problems with them, because a LOT of people HAVE, and in numbers higher than seen on budget offerings by these other brands. Obviously there is no empirical data to support that, it's just what I have seen and others have commented on as well, but it's pretty much held true for a while now, and a while back, with a brief improvement in quality control from MSI for a while there that seems to have evolved to some backsliding in that area over the last couple of generations.

As to the PSU, if you take a look at this thread I just worked you'll see what I mean about the PSU even though it's a totally different model, there are some definite similarities and there have been MANY threads with nearly identical issues as yours that were resolved by replacing old CX units, but obviously that does not mean you might not still have a motherboard issue as well.

The biggest similarity here is that both Chieftec and Corsair were using CWT on similar type platforms, as the OEM on those Smart (Chieftec) and CX (Corsair) units during a similar period of time. The Chieftec units are a lot worse IMO, but the CX units had clear and obvious problems and very high failure rates. The newer 2017 and up units are not the same.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-instantly-in-fur-mark.3453458/#post-20885989

Reactions: degialloldongs

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
boot to a USB drive with linux on it for a hardware test of the LAN. the new environment will verify software or hardware. a hardware failure will manifest in Linux too.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

you ran the bootable memtest did you let it run long enough? 3 passes is a fast test and usually what I suggest. long thorough tests can go to 10 passes and may take days.

also as mentioned the QVL has a sever limitation. it only contains modules available when the motherboard was released. newer modules are not there. the QVL is not a list of the only modules that will work, only what they had on-hand to test with before release. these tests and the QVL are to assure broad compatibility.

Feb 2, 2019
Hey guys, so the shop just called me back and it looks like the issue was....the graphics card? I was actually really confused and a bit skeptical when I heard this, but he was telling me that another unit came in and he had to move mine to a different monitor that only had an HDMI port available. When he plugged in the HDMI port the screen was all distorted and messed up. When he plugged it back into DVI, everything looked fine. I use DVI at home so that's why I never noticed it. So formatted it again, installed all drivers, and as soon as he installed the GPU drivers he noticed that the blue screens started occurring much more frequently. He put in an NVIDIA card for testing and he said it ran for about a day and a half with no blue screens at all.

So not sure if the card is just incompatible with my board/cpu or if it just started going bad coincidentally when I upgraded my build. For the record, I did not have any problems with my previous build that made me upgrade, I simply just wanted to get out of AM3 which I was using before. I'm a little disappointed, because as you all know, the GPU is the most expensive part of a computer to replace, but to be totally honest I was looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway. My GPU is only a little over a year old, so it is still under warranty, but honestly I would rather upgrade and not gamble with the fact that I may experience these issues again. I have also tried looking online to see if there were any compatibility issues with my GPU (RX-570P4DFD6) and my board/CPU, but haven't found anything, and it actually looks like you can't even get this card anywhere other than eBay now.

The shop also replaced my power supply as well and he said everything was running fine for a bit but then he continued to get blue screens. Even though that isn't the issue, and it seems I am extremely lucky to have had this PSU for almost 6 years, I am going to replace it as well. It's really old and seems like a matter of time before I get issues related to that, and if I'm getting a new GPU I don't want to take any chances. I read DarkBreeze very informative post that he linked, and will definitely be going with Seasonic.

Just wanted to let you all know what it ended up being since this was definitely a tricky one. I seriously appreciate everyones help with this issue, you guys are the best :)

(also, the shop I had taken it to is a really great local shop that I have had an amazing relationship with over the years, not anything corporate and full of dorks like best buy or staples)

Feb 2, 2019
Hey, sorry for the thread necromancy, but just in case anyone on Google stumbles upon this, it was actually the RAM the whole time. Replacing the video card fixed the issue for a few weeks but then it started happening all over again. Got some new RAM at 3100mhz and have had no issues.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Colif

Win 11 Master
sorry for the thread necromancy

Its not necromancy if its your own thread and you coming back to show the answer :)

So I was right? I just don't believe myself sometimes, especially if the answer involves paying money out. I don't like to risk the chance I am wrong and person wasted money for nothing.

Probably better advice is get Ram that is on the motherboards listing :)

TRENDING THREADS