[SOLVED] Blue Screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA when booting from sleep

Feb 2, 2019
Hey guys, I am getting random BSODs from my ntoskrnl. I posted another thread earlier this month about crashes coming from ntoskrnl but different addresses. This one I got when booting up my computer from sleep mode:

Crash time: 2/17/2019 7:19:42 PM
Bug check string: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check code: 0x00000050
Parameter 1: fffffffffffff927 Parameter 2: 0000000000000000
Parameter 3: fffff802481b345b Parameter 4: 0000000000000002
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+1b3440
File Descripition: NT Kernel & System
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 10.0.17763.253 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
Processor: x64
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+1b3440
Processor count: 12
Major version: 15
Minor version: 17763

Dx diag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qxec1Lrfqe_xyEG5fOwRvCm2pMHuJcHx/view?usp=sharing

Dmp file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13wtDqNmDy_t6utZIwaT-nICfMSw3TxKA/view?usp=sharing

Solution
The error is usually triggered by two situations that occur in the kernel mode: either the CPU generated a condition that the kernel is not allowed to catch or the condition is an unrecoverable error. The most common cause is hardware failure, mostly due to faulty or mismatched memory.

It could be the ram type, you have F4-2400C15D-16GFX installed, the only 2400 speed Ram from GSkill on the memory listing on motherboard web site is F4-2400C15S-4GNT, and rysen is said to be picky when it comes to ram.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/XIjV.html

File information:021719-31125-01.dmp (Feb 17 2019 - 22:19:42)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450m-mortar
There are BIOS updates available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Feb 2, 2019
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/XIjV.html

File information:021719-31125-01.dmp (Feb 17 2019 - 22:19:42)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450m-mortar
There are BIOS updates available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Hey, thanks again for doing this. You ran the dmp file through the debugger for the last thread I created and it said it was probably caused by memory_corruption (Process: steamwebhelper.exe) .

Should I reinstall Steam and see if that will work? Seems like such a simple solution that I'm not sure if that idea is laughable or not.

Thanks again for you the help you two!!!

gardenman

Splendid
Usually software doesn't cause a BSOD, it's either caused by drivers or hardware. Since you said that steamwebhelper.exe was mentioned before, and now Steam, the one thing both of those likely use is the internet. I would look for driver updates for your network card. This may or may not help, but it's a good start.

The driver doesn't seem that old. It's from Aug 28 2018. Still check for an update. https://www.realtek.com/en/ I see that the VPN also has a driver. Check for updates for it. Those are just (somewhat educated) guesses.

@Colif should reply later and he may have more ideas.

Feb 2, 2019
Usually software doesn't cause a BSOD, it's either caused by drivers or hardware. Since you said that steamwebhelper.exe was mentioned before, and now Steam, the one thing both of those likely use is the internet. I would look for driver updates for your network card. This may or may not help, but it's a good start.

The driver doesn't seem that old. It's from Aug 28 2018. Still check for an update. https://www.realtek.com/en/ I see that the VPN also has a driver. Check for updates for it. Those are just (somewhat educated) guesses.

@Colif should reply later and he may have more ideas.

looks like im up to date there. i can only find drivers for july on the website. i uninstalled the VPN so we'll see what happens with that

Feb 2, 2019
there is a newer lan driver just on the MSI website, saves trying to figure out the new realtek web site.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR#down-driver&Win10 64

could just as easily run MSI Live update 6 which you can find on utility page of above link

Thanks for the direct link, I will try this. MSI Live Update 6 has always been a little...funky for me.

Whenever is see that BSOD message, I immediately assume there's either a misbehaving driver, or bad RAM. It's unlikely memory corruption is going to happen any other way.

So lets run a simple test: Download run memtest86+ and see if your RAM pops up with any errors.

I thought it was my RAM too. I tested them a few months back before I made these threads and they both tested okay. Hopefully it is the driver.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/BUNm.html

File information:021919-30187-01.dmp (Feb 19 2019 - 21:52:15)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: MSI_LiveUpdate_Service.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

Reactions: degialloldongs
Feb 2, 2019
Hey guys, so I was a bit confused earlier. I actually never ran MemTest86, just ran Windows Memory Diagnostic tool which showed no errors. I burned MemTest to a CD and ran it, it just completed and there were no errors. So I'm quite relieved when I say it doesn't look like my RAM is messed up. Since @gardenman posted the dump file and it looks like it was caused by MSI_LiveUpdate, which also uses internet, could it be this pesky LAN driver again?

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can proceed from here or should I just do the nuclear option (complete restore of Windows)? These seem to be happening more frequently now, not sure what is going on but I really want to fix this. It actually Blue Screened as I was typing this with a new stop code this time. I'm honestly not even sure if it's worth it at this point to post another dump file but I'll do it just in case it helps.

Dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oTErRtVyvna3Q3uH_JO-7Zey13c3sciH/view?usp=sharing

DxDiag for ----- and giggles (maybe the LAN driver didn't install properly? Idk..): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMmTnjkB9Jc8UqUK920PJFi-0LqUBuGA/view?usp=sharing

I really appreciate the time everyone is giving me, thanks so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry, i been busy.

before you go nuclear, try this

Before doing anything:

1) search for “Create a restore point” and create a restore point

2) Create a bootable USB of Win 10 installer to use as a boot drive. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us.

Steps 1 & 2 are just precautions as sometimes driver verifer can put you in a boot loop. If this happen, follow these steps to get out of it

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore and roll system back to restore point created in step 1. PC should boot normally.

Feb 2, 2019
Sorry, i been busy.

Before doing anything:

2) Create a bootable USB of Win 10 installer to use as a boot drive. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.

Steps 1 & 2 are just precautions as sometimes driver verifer can put you in a boot loop. If this happen, follow these steps to get out of it

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore and roll system back to restore point created in step 1. PC should boot normally.

Absolutely no problem at all. I was actually doing a bit of research and decided to comb through event viewer and noticed something interesting...I was having the same two events happen before almost every blue screen I’ve gotten in the last few months. These were specifically:

• Event 1:
  • Source: FilterManager
  • Event ID: 6
  • Level: Information
  • General: File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2070‎-‎12‎-‎15T19:13:56.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• Event 2:
  • Source: FilterManager
  • Event ID: 6
  • Level: Information
  • General: File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2094‎-‎02‎-‎20T06:14:30.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

• Event 3:
  • Source: Kernel-Power
  • Event ID: 41
  • Level: CRITICAL
  • General: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
So I did a bit of digging on google, found a post on reddit where this guy used Windows 10 Debloater (powershell script) and it fixed his issue. I’m going to try this and see what happens since I have nothing to lose at this point. I’m also going to try to run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f when I get home just to be on the safe side. If all is okay on that front and my issue is still not resolved I will go ahead and try this and post my dump file in this thread after following your steps.

Again thanks so much for all your guys help! :)

EDIT: Well, that did not last very long....lol. I am going to follow these steps tomorrow as I need to purchase a Flash Drive. I will update the thread when I do it

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019
Sorry, i been busy.

Before doing anything:

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced

Hi, so I ran a chkdsk scan when I got home, when it was done my computer rebooted and instantly blue screened. So I followed your steps, created a restore point and installation media, ran verifier and got an instant blue screen when restarting after running verifier. I tried turning it off in elevated prompt, no luck, and when I am trying to do system restore I am getting the message “to use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select system restore.”

Is my windows corrupted now?? If I have to start from scratch I don’t mind too much but am wondering if there is a way around this. My USB is first in my boot order.

EDIT: I could not restore no matter what I did. Tried googling the above error and seen some people suggest running bootrec commands...so I tried running them and got to bootrec /fixboot where I got access denied. Tried multiple solutions to this but kept getting access denied or windows telling me it could not find the file specified when pointing to my HDD partition or my USB stick...so I just said screw this, I am tired of going down the rabbit hole. I relaunched and ran through with the media I created but I deleted everything on my hard drive and did a fresh install of windows. Rebooted again, started going through the set up and Blue Screen....so it seems this damn problem is still not solved yet. Luckily after rebooting I was able to finish the Win 10 install and I am now here writing this. Here is the dump file, unfortunately because of me getting stuck after running verifier and having no way out I do not have the dumps for that...my apologies...I hope this works but I would prefer not to run verifier again after getting stuck in that headache with no way out.

Dump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_JNtRu1RM6gcIea8vMsvsdbu95I9cRx3/view?usp=sharing

I am now getting more BSODS with stop code UNEXPECTED KERNAL TRAP. I really don’t want to keep bugging you guys with dump files....do you still think it’s software Related ? Do you think it could be mobo or HDD ? My CPU mobo and RAM are all new

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
The error is usually triggered by two situations that occur in the kernel mode: either the CPU generated a condition that the kernel is not allowed to catch or the condition is an unrecoverable error. The most common cause is hardware failure, mostly due to faulty or mismatched memory.

It could be the ram type, you have F4-2400C15D-16GFX installed, the only 2400 speed Ram from GSkill on the memory listing on motherboard web site is F4-2400C15S-4GNT, and rysen is said to be picky when it comes to ram.

Solution
Well, the fact you basically re-installed Windows and the problem remains indicates something is wrong with the memory subsystem. Either the RAM settings are incorrect for your motherboard, or the RAM itself is faulty.

If all else fails, you can try running with one stick and see if the problem follows a specific stick of RAM. This could also help isolate a problem with more then one stick installed (typically a motherboard/setting problem), or even the possibility one of the RAM slots itself is bad (unlikely if memtest passed).

Feb 2, 2019

Dude I’m going to scream if this is the issue...I knew ryzen was picky with RAM abut god forbid I got a C15D instead of a C15S....what a bunch of fricking crap....is there anything else I can do before I eat this 100 dollar loss? Gardenman said there were BIOS updates available, could that possibly help? I know I’m grasping at straws here, but god I don’t want to spend another 100 dollars on RAM! I feel so stupid, I actually did research on what RAM i should get, but I guess it wasn’t enough....ugh

EDIT: you know what I think you’re right...I’m looking on Newegg and it looks like the ram I got is compatible for AMD X370 / B350 / A320 and my chipset is B450....I feel so angry at myself and so stupid...idk how I could’ve missed this, but I guess I am learning a 100 dollar lesson today :( thank you everyone for your help, I appreciate it, sorry the problem all along was my own ignorance and not an actual software problem

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Colif called me. Before you go nuclear and spend money on ram, please go to the MSI website for your board and update the BIOS. Ryzen WAS picky about ram - 2 years ago. Updated chipsets and BIOS updates have largely cleared that. So yeah I would do a BIOS update first before freaking out. Also leave your ram at dead stock settings in the BIOS, no XMP or anything like that.

Now unfortunately with everything you have been doing and all these crashes, you may have corrupted windows and its hard to tell where the original issue ends and new issues begin. If its not too much trouble, after BIOS updating I'd consider doing a clean fresh install and see whether the issue remains.

IF (and thats a big IF) your memory is causing your issues next time get 3000 mhz ram, 2400mhz is handicapping your performance anyway.

Feb 2, 2019
Colif called me. Before you go nuclear and spend money on ram, please go to the MSI website for your board and update the BIOS. Ryzen WAS picky about ram - 2 years ago. Updated chipsets and BIOS updates have largely cleared that. So yeah I would do a BIOS update first before freaking out. Also leave your ram at dead stock settings in the BIOS, no XMP or anything like that.

Now unfortunately with everything you have been doing and all these crashes, you may have corrupted windows and its hard to tell where the original issue ends and new issues begin. If its not too much trouble, after BIOS updating I'd consider doing a clean fresh install and see whether the issue remains.

IF (and thats a big IF) your memory is causing your issues next time get 3000 mhz ram, 2400mhz is handicapping your performance anyway.

Thanks a lot. I’ll definitely try this when I get home tonight. I did a fresh install of windows yesterday, so everything is deleted, so I definitely don’t mind doing it again lol. I’ll keep you guys updated and let you know if this fixes it or not. Thanks again

I was just coming to say you need to make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS installed, but I see RL already informed you of that. WITH the newer BIOS versions installed, there is MUCH less problems with memory compatibility, even on first gen Ryzen skus. There is still SOME however, so even with the latest bios there could be issues remaining but the memory listed on the QVL list for the motherboard should definitely not be the go to factor.

There are always plenty of modules that will work with any given board that are not listed on their QVL list, AND memory listed on the QVL that is higher speed than whatever the default is for a given board (2133mhz for Ryzen) are not guaranteed by the QVL list to run AT that speed, only that those kits WILL work on that board. They may only work at the default speed. There are a few other user verified threads across the web with more accurate depiction of what modules actually work AT the advertised speeds on Ryzen such as this one:

Thread for "Clearing up any B-die confusion on Ryzen"

But most enthusiast grade memory works fine now on most Ryzen platforms, especially at the default speed. You may need to do some tinkering in the bios or use the Ryzen calculator to dial those sticks in if the bios update doesn't cure the issue, which there is a good chance it will.

Feb 2, 2019
Alright guys, so I updated my BIOS and was able to boot into windows. I am trying to get all of my drivers installed now since I did a clean install of Windows yesterday and I am getting blue screens. I got two SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTIONS, with the most recent one saying that win32kfull.sys has failed.

What’s interesting, is before trying to install my drivers I hadn’t had any blue screens and I had restarted my computer multiple times after the BIOS update was installed. But the minute I try downloading these Realtek LAN/Audio and AMD Chipset drivers they start happening more frequently. I tried installing the drivers through MSI Live Update 6, they download, I restart the computer and they are still available.

So I tried going to my mobos website and downloading it from there, everything installs fine and then when I restart my computer, a Realtek installed opened and it blue screened in the middle of it. I am currently writing this on my phone because my computer is blue screening pretty quickly now after booting into windows.

I tried doing a clean install after the BIOS update but was getting the error: Windows cannot read the product key setting from the unattended answer file. I’m not sure what’s going on, but I think something got corrupted when installing the drivers ?

I want to reiterate I did not get any blue screens before attempting to download those drivers I mentioned above. Anyone have any tips ?

EDIT: well guys my computer is now officially dead. I was able to remove the above error when trying to reinstall Windows by taking the CD out of my disk tray but now I am getting several different blue screens when trying to reinstall Windows such as APC_INDEX_MISMATCH, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

Last EDIT i promise: sorry for the massive wall of text, but I literally kept trying and trying and trying to get the windows install to go through and it finally did. Now however I am getting blue screens when booting into windows after a few minutes. I’m not doing anything just letting it sit. I boot into safe mode (no networking) and it sits just fine here. This kind of makes me wonder if my LAN driver is causing the issue ? This is what was suggested earlier, and I did in fact install my LAN drivers after my bios update and everything started going haywire. Any way to proceed forward?

Last edited: