Blue screen PFN_list_corrupt

My computer shows a blue screen and dumps memory. The Stop info is
"PFN-list-corrupt. What is the simple way to repair this? Do I need to put
it in the shop?

DocMemory Diagnostic, an advanced self-bootable PC Memory
Diagnostic Software is a user friendly software designed to capture
all possible memory failures in PC.
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Linda K" wrote:

| My computer shows a blue screen and dumps memory. The Stop info is
| "PFN-list-corrupt. What is the simple way to repair this? Do I need to put
| it in the shop?

Cause
This error is typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists. For example, a driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.

Bug Check 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bug check has a value of 0x0000004E. This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupt.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.

Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Cause of Error
0x01 The ListHead value which was corrupt The number of pages available 0 The list head was corrupt
0x02 The entry in the list being removed The highest physical page number The reference count of the entry being removed A list entry was corrupt
0x07 The page frame number The current share count 0 A driver has unlocked a page more times than it locked it
0x8F New page number Old page number 0 The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt
0x99 Page frame number Current page state 0 A PTE or PFN is corrupt

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:%23TggVE1MFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> DocMemory Diagnostic, an advanced self-bootable PC Memory
> Diagnostic Software is a user friendly software designed to capture
> all possible memory failures in PC.
> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Linda K" wrote:
>
> | My computer shows a blue screen and dumps memory. The Stop info is
> | "PFN-list-corrupt. What is the simple way to repair this? Do I need to put
> | it in the shop?

I have service pack 2. Actually, I didn't have this problem untill
installing it. On the blue screen, it references uninstallint recently
installed software.

"David Candy" wrote:

> Cause
> This error is typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists. For example, a driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.
>
> Bug Check 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
> The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bug check has a value of 0x0000004E. This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupt.
>
> Parameters
> The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.
>
> Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Cause of Error
> 0x01 The ListHead value which was corrupt The number of pages available 0 The list head was corrupt
> 0x02 The entry in the list being removed The highest physical page number The reference count of the entry being removed A list entry was corrupt
> 0x07 The page frame number The current share count 0 A driver has unlocked a page more times than it locked it
> 0x8F New page number Old page number 0 The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt
> 0x99 Page frame number Current page state 0 A PTE or PFN is corrupt

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:%23TggVE1MFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > DocMemory Diagnostic, an advanced self-bootable PC Memory
> > Diagnostic Software is a user friendly software designed to capture
> > all possible memory failures in PC.
> > http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Linda K" wrote:
> >
> > | My computer shows a blue screen and dumps memory. The Stop info is
> > | "PFN-list-corrupt. What is the simple way to repair this? Do I need to put
> > | it in the shop?

Always provide the exact text of any error message.

Type verifier in Start - Run and follow the wizard. This will make all drivers slower but error messages should contain the driver's name and all drivers get checked as they work. The error code may change as Windows is strict with drivers.

If errors stop you from booting then choose Last Known Good Configuration on the Startup menu that will appear.

Create a minidump. Type in Help, Small Memory Dump. Type
minidump
in Start Run to view any you may have created.

I would suggest that you get windows to display the blue screen rather than restart. It tells you how on the same page as how to make mini dumps.The reason you should display blue screens is if you blue screen while booting. Then you won't be able to boot to read event viewer.

"Linda K" <LindaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0EE08CD-0731-4BEA-93C7-89869EE05438@microsoft.com...
>I have service pack 2. Actually, I didn't have this problem untill
> installing it. On the blue screen, it references uninstallint recently
> installed software.
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Cause
>> This error is typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists. For example, a driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.
>>
>> Bug Check 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
>> The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bug check has a value of 0x0000004E. This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupt.
>>
>> Parameters
>> The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.
>>
>> Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Cause of Error
>> 0x01 The ListHead value which was corrupt The number of pages available 0 The list head was corrupt
>> 0x02 The entry in the list being removed The highest physical page number The reference count of the entry being removed A list entry was corrupt
>> 0x07 The page frame number The current share count 0 A driver has unlocked a page more times than it locked it
>> 0x8F New page number Old page number 0 The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt
>> 0x99 Page frame number Current page state 0 A PTE or PFN is corrupt
>>

>> --
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:%23TggVE1MFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > DocMemory Diagnostic, an advanced self-bootable PC Memory
>> > Diagnostic Software is a user friendly software designed to capture
>> > all possible memory failures in PC.
>> > http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >
>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>> >
>> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This blue screen has an entire page of stuff. It doesn't stay up long enough
to write it all down. I get these messages asking if I want to report this
problem to Microsoft. No matter what I say, it shuts down and up comes this
blue screen.

Sorry, but this reply is a little over my head. I don't even know what
dumps are! Sorry..

"David Candy" wrote:

> Always provide the exact text of any error message.
>
> Type verifier in Start - Run and follow the wizard. This will make all drivers slower but error messages should contain the driver's name and all drivers get checked as they work. The error code may change as Windows is strict with drivers.
>
> If errors stop you from booting then choose Last Known Good Configuration on the Startup menu that will appear.
>
> Create a minidump. Type in Help, Small Memory Dump. Type
> minidump
> in Start Run to view any you may have created.
>
> I would suggest that you get windows to display the blue screen rather than restart. It tells you how on the same page as how to make mini dumps.The reason you should display blue screens is if you blue screen while booting. Then you won't be able to boot to read event viewer.

> "Linda K" <LindaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0EE08CD-0731-4BEA-93C7-89869EE05438@microsoft.com...
> >I have service pack 2. Actually, I didn't have this problem untill
> > installing it. On the blue screen, it references uninstallint recently
> > installed software.
> >

> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Cause
> >> This error is typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists. For example, a driver might have called MmUnlockPages twice with the same list.
> >>
> >> Bug Check 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
> >> The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bug check has a value of 0x0000004E. This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupt.
> >>
> >> Parameters
> >> The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen. Parameter 1 indicates the type of violation. The meaning of the other parameters depends on the value of Parameter 1.
> >>
> >> Parameter 1 Parameter 2 Parameter 3 Parameter 4 Cause of Error
> >> 0x01 The ListHead value which was corrupt The number of pages available 0 The list head was corrupt
> >> 0x02 The entry in the list being removed The highest physical page number The reference count of the entry being removed A list entry was corrupt
> >> 0x07 The page frame number The current share count 0 A driver has unlocked a page more times than it locked it
> >> 0x8F New page number Old page number 0 The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt
> >> 0x99 Page frame number Current page state 0 A PTE or PFN is corrupt
> >>

> >> --

Type in Help, Small Memory Dump. Type minidump
in Start Run to view any you may have created.

No minidump (small memory dump) no solution. The instructions in help are click this then that. Even a girl can do it. See http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&threadm=BFC19E4F-5EC9-439E-A933-BEC32676BF85%40microsoft.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DRe%253A%2BBSOD%2Bconstantly!%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch for an actual girl doing it.

But I require a modicum of common sense from you to solve your problem.

The page that will appear in help is titled "To specify what Windows does if the system stops unexpectedly". It will help set your blue screen of death (Stop error in MS terminology) options. Type event viewer in help to see how to start event viewer.

"Linda K" <LindaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:038F4DB4-6022-48F1-B028-9AB81D59E68E@microsoft.com...
> This blue screen has an entire page of stuff. It doesn't stay up long enough
> to write it all down. I get these messages asking if I want to report this
> problem to Microsoft. No matter what I say, it shuts down and up comes this
> blue screen.
>
> Sorry, but this reply is a little over my head. I don't even know what
> dumps are! Sorry..
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Always provide the exact text of any error message.
>>
>> Type verifier in Start - Run and follow the wizard. This will make all drivers slower but error messages should contain the driver's name and all drivers get checked as they work. The error code may change as Windows is strict with drivers.
>>
>> If errors stop you from booting then choose Last Known Good Configuration on the Startup menu that will appear.
>>
>> Create a minidump. Type in Help, Small Memory Dump. Type
>> minidump
>> in Start Run to view any you may have created.
>>
>> I would suggest that you get windows to display the blue screen rather than restart. It tells you how on the same page as how to make mini dumps.The reason you should display blue screens is if you blue screen while booting. Then you won't be able to boot to read event viewer.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Linda K" <LindaK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0EE08CD-0731-4BEA-93C7-89869EE05438@microsoft.com...
>> >I have service pack 2. Actually, I didn't have this problem untill
>> > installing it. On the blue screen, it references uninstallint recently
>> > installed software.

OK Smart................. We'll see if I can do it.. I'll take the challange.

"Linda K" wrote:
> [...]
>   > >> >> >
> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
>   > >> >> >
>   > >> >> > --
>   > >> >> > Carey Frisch
>   > >> >> > Microsoft MVP
>   > >> >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>   > >> >> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>   > >> >> >
>   > >> >> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with
> Advanced Security Technologies:
>   > >> >> >
>
>   > >> >> >
>   > >> >> >
> -----------------------------
>   > >> >> >
>   > >> >> > "Linda K" wrote:
>   > >> >> >
>   > >> >> > | My computer shows a blue screen and
> dumps memory. The Stop info is
>   > >> >> > | "PFN-list-corrupt. What is the
> simple way to repair this? Do I need to put

Maybe this will work? Please let me know what happens.
I may have to go over to a co workers house tomorrow and try to fix
there computer. Please let me know what you all think.

1. Press F8 as the computer starts up.
2. Advanced Startup Options screen will come up.
3. Select Safe mode.
4. The computer should start up normally.
5. Click Start then All Programs then Accessories the System Tools.
6. Click System Restore.
7. Then Restore your computer to an earlier point.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Blue-screen-PFN_list_corrupt-ftopict350182.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119911