Question Blue screen restart loop after upgrade

Metalix_53

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Hi,
Recently I upgraded the Motherboard, RAM, and CPU in my PC and after the install it booted up just fine. I ran some benchmarks and reapplied the overclocking I had on my previous GPU that I moved to the new build and everything seemed to benchmark fine as well (I was running my processor at stock clocks and my RAM with the XMP profile at 3000mhz). I started to boot up some games to test the performance and my pc crashed after being under load for a short amount of time. Upon trying to restart, my pc got stuck into a boot loop where it would try to start up and give me a blue screen after the motherboard logo screen. It would then try to restart again and enter an automatic repair but just blue screen immediately and restart again, starting the loop over again. My original thought was that there was something wrong with my hard drive or drivers causing the blue screens but I tried to completely wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows only to be met with another blue screen while booting from a USB windows installation media drive. I even tried disconnecting the hard drive completely and booting from only a USB drive and still got a blue screen loop which leads me to believe it is a hardware issue. I put my old MB and CPU back into my pc with my new ram to confirm that the RAM and my HDD weren't faulty which narrows it down to either the MB or CPU. My specs are as follows:
Running Windows 10 Home
MSI Z390-a pro ATX Motherboard
Intel i5-9600kf with Cooler Master i71C Cooler
Gskill TridentZ 2x8 16gb 3000mhz
MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X
EVGA B3 650W Fully Modular PSU
Seagate 1TB SSHD (Don't know the model)
I've tried everything that I can think of to figure out the problem and I've lost all of my data in the process but am still without a solution. I believe that either the CPU or the MB are defective but I don't know how I can be sure or how I can figure out which to replace. Any thoughts?

Metalix_53

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
One thing I wanted to add is that when I put the old parts back in I set Windows to boot into safe mode and reinstalled my new parts. It booted up fine into safe mode and I tried to make sure all of the drivers were optimal in device manager but when I tried to restart in normal mode, I got the blue screen loop again. It's really confusing to me that the system is able to boot up into safe mode but not normal mode. That would imply that there is a software issue rather than a hardware issue but I'm running a fresh windows install with nothing else installed so that doesn't make sense either.

Last edited: