Blue screen when adding ssd

Sean_123

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
So I recently received my brothers old ssd that he cleared and gave me. It’s is a 120gb Kingston. My problem is when I add the ssd I get a blue screen with a recovery message. Error Code: 0xc0000225 I am connecting this ssd using a shared power SATA power cable that has 4 heads on it. I currently have 2 1TB HDDs on separate power saga cables. Do I need to run this ssd on its own individual power cable? I didn’t think so and if not I’m not sure why this problem happens. ( Have tried connecting it to either power sata cable, both resulting in a blue screen)

Windows 10
ASRock mobo
Gtx 960
I7-4790k
8gb DDR3

Solution

The number or order of SATA port or power cable has nothing to do with boot priority. The booting priority is solely set by the BIOS/UEFI.
The error code 0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting.
I guess the SSD contains a boot sector, or an old OS? Manually boot a windows recovery from BIOS/UEFI and go to repair console to completely wipe the SSD.
Type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk x
(x is number of desired drive to wipe)

detail disk
(to be sure correct drive is selected, you can tell it by the...

Sean_123

Prominent
Mar 25, 2017
The ssd is on a higher port number through the motherboard sata, but on the power sata it comes before the HDDs. I would see this being an issue if the ssd was on port 0 on th motherboard but it isn’t.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

The number or order of SATA port or power cable has nothing to do with boot priority. The booting priority is solely set by the BIOS/UEFI.
The error code 0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting.
I guess the SSD contains a boot sector, or an old OS? Manually boot a windows recovery from BIOS/UEFI and go to repair console to completely wipe the SSD.
Type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk x
(x is number of desired drive to wipe)

detail disk
(to be sure correct drive is selected, you can tell it by the size)

clean
(deletes partition information, cleans disk, is completely safe for SSDs, and of course HDDs)

exit

Then try to boot again. If you did it, go to disk management, make the SSD MBR or GPT (as you like) and make a new partition on it.

Solution
My interpretation of is that he can't boot when the SSD is connected.

TRENDING THREADS