Question Blue screen when all ram slots in use.

Dec 17, 2019
Hi All,

I recently upgraded my 8GB (2x 4GB) of ram to 24GB by buying (2x 8GB) more sticks. Upon plugging the ram into my motherboard everything was fine until I booted up the pc.

It booted to the windows login screen where I would usually enter my password, but after around 2 seconds of entering in my password it blue screened.

Can anyone help? I have no clue what to do!

Corsair vengeance lpx 3200MHz (2x 4GB) & (2x 8GB)
B450 Tomohawk Max
Ryzen 7 2700x

Thanks,
Mike

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my 8GB (2x 4GB) of ram to 24GB by buying (2x 8GB) more sticks. Upon plugging the ram into my motherboard everything was fine until I booted up the pc.

It booted to the windows login screen where I would usually enter my password, but after around 2 seconds of entering in my password it blue screened.

B450 Tomohawk Max
Ryzen 7 2700x

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

first question, have you tried running the machine on just the new 2 x 8gb sticks on their own? That would prove if they are working correctly or not...

Ryzen can be a pain with memory support, next thing to do is check to make sure the speed ratings (including voltage and 'CL' rating) are the same for both kits. Whilst you have done the correct thing in getting the same branded memory, the memory manufacturers do sometimes change suppliers between batches so it's possible the two kits aren't identical.

If that is the case you should still be able to get the system stable but you might need to drop the speed or loosen up the timings to get them working nicely together.

Hi All,

B450 Tomohawk Max
Ryzen 7 2700x

Thanks,
Mike
The motherboard does not support faster than 2933/3000Mhz with all slots filled when using a Ryzen 2000 series. If you want more than 16GB at 3200-3466Mhz you need a 2x16GB kit.