Blue screen when loading Windows XP (Hard drive from another computer)

socialfox

Distinguished
HI there,

My friend recently gave me a hard drive because he claimed there was a bad sector on the hard drive which did not allow him to boot into windows (XP). I installed the hard drive and ran a check disk while using my own hard drive, and found no bad sectors but windows claimed to have solved some problems. Now I unplugged my own hard drive and booted his as primary and got a blue screen that was only there for 1 second while loading Windows XP (couldn't read it in time) and then the computer restarted and kept repeating the blue screen, restart cycle.

Now my question is there something in the bios I should set up and that will let me bypass the blue screen? Or is this the fault of the hard drive? I assume it's my drivers that are causing the issues since there are no drivers on the hard drive for my computer.

RealBeast

Titan
Windows XP is not very good at getting stuck in a machine with other devices so it is unlikely, but you could try changing your bios sata mode between ide and ahci as that would be a mandatory item to be the same. Windows 7 is much better at swapping between at least somewhat similar builds, but still requires the correct bios sata mode to what is in the registry.

socialfox

Distinguished

Thanks for your input :)

Anyways would formatting the drive completely help with this? I hear bad sectors are an indication of a failing hard drive...is this true?

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, if you format the old drive it should work fine; the problem is just that you cannot boot from it on a different setup.

Almost all drives eventually have a few bad sectors but can continue to work for a long time. If it is a sata drive, check its SMART data with the manufacturer test program or crystaldiskinfo to check the drive health.

socialfox

Distinguished
Last question, while accessing the drive using my own hard drive for loading windows. The other Hard drive says it has around 200gb used but when I open the drive to explore the contents only 20gb is visible. Is there a way to access the hidden data? I intend on moving important files prior to formatting it...

socialfox

Distinguished

I did try safe mode but it pauses while loading the safe mode files and blue screens and the restarts and keeps on doing the blue screen then restart loop. Just asked my friend if I could format it after backing it up. Will fill you guys with the results. And do not worry, I'll make sure to pick a best answer ;)

RealBeast

Titan
I am assuming that you also run Windows XP. You need to have your computer set to view hidden files: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=true

Also, you may need to take ownership of the files: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

socialfox

Distinguished

Okay will try that, hope its the same since I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, and the other hard drive has Windows XP Home Premium...

- Thanks, will select you for best answer once im done with the hard drive (should be tonight)

Thanks to the both of you for answering. Have a splendid 2013! :)

socialfox

Distinguished
Okay, sorry for the double post. I did try that hidden files check and I see new folders but I still can only access 20gb out of the claimed 200gb used...I also ran Checkdisk and the Western Digital test and no errors came up.

socialfox

Distinguished

RealBeast

Titan
I have huge bookmark page with links like that because I'm too lazy to type it over and over. :) If you use HDD from other Windows 7 machines you often need to take ownership too.

So far so good with 2013 -- I have 2 more weeks off. hehe

socialfox

Distinguished

Make sure to enjoy your two weeks :D

Too bad I only have five more days and then I need to get back to school :lol: