May 8, 2019
Hi,

so I am having this annoying Blue Screen when playing games. I've tried pretty much everything from reinstalling Windows 10 to Updating every single Driver possible. I also asked this in the Microsoft Community Forum, but nobody could help there.

Here is a dmp File for more information on the Blue Screen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0bj5jvrigs08dv/050819-8781-01.zip?dl=0

Most of the time it's a DPC_Watchdog_Violation error code.

May 8, 2019
We'll need system specs, including make, model and approx age of PSU, temps at idle and load. Run memtest for several hours from a USB stick.

The pc is very new and I build it myself few weeks ago:

CPU: i9-9900k
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero xi
RAM: 32GB 3200MHz
GPU: RTX 2080TI
PSU: Corsair hxi 750i

I did run memtest few days ago with the recommended coverage of 400% (took like 4 hours) without any errors.
Temps are around 35-38 idle @5Ghz and about 70-80 while gaming.

May 8, 2019
Does it do it with 1/2 the memory? 1 or 2 sticks? You are going to have to start excluding causes to understand what's happening, all we can do is suggest possibilities. Temps look very very good.

It's running 2x 16GB in dual channel. Checked with cpu-z and DRAM Frequency is at 1600 MHz, XMP1 is enabled.

May 8, 2019
Some more details:

I get this Blue Screen only when playing games. I havn't experienced it in normal desktop/browsing circumstances yet. I already got a Blue Screen in four games so far: Apex, Metro Exodus, Monster Hunter World and Anthem. Most of the time I get it in Anthem. Can't even play the first part of the game. After 1-5 minutes the controls freeze (character keeps running straight though) and then few seconds later I get the Blue Screen. The other games are not so frequently. So Anthem is basically my testing environment.

Things that I've tested and know for sure it's not it:
-Uninstalled Anti Virus
-Fresh Windows 10 Install (only basic driver for chipset and nvidia)
-Updated all drivers which are listed at ASUS for the mainboard
-RAM is working fine, also switched with other channels
-No obvious spikes while testing with monitoring software

No idea what I can try next to be honest.

May 8, 2019
Ok, I've tested with only one stick and at first I thought it was working, because it was running for quite some time and I even got throught the first part of the game. But then it crashed in the next mission unfortnunately.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i sent link to dump files to a friend, he will comment, maybe that info help 13thmonkey as well.

Is system creating minidump files as they are smaller than the full dump will be. If so, can you give the dump of each crash, might show cause. If not, Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

just watching, it could be software still. I wouldn't be surprised to find cause is the Nvidia drivers.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/OyDj.html

File information:050819-8781-01.dmp (May 8 2019 - 09:08:37)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WI-FI/
There is a BIOS update available for your system (1005). You are using version 0905. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Edit: Info for the new dump file posted below: https://pste.eu/p/orgk.html

File information:050819-8812-01.dmp (May 8 2019 - 16:18:23)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

Only 1 RAM module installed when that dump file was created.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
Alright, I've tested it now with the other RAM stick and so far no crash. This obviously needs more testing to be sure. Will update after some testing. Would you suggest that the RAM has a defect even though memtest couldn't find anything?

Also thank you for debugging the dump file. Most of the time when it crashes it won't create a dump, because it gets stuck at 0% and I have to restart manually. I've changed settings to create small memory dumps now.

Regarding BIOS update, yes there is a new BIOS update available (using non WI-FI Board) which is one week old, but I've made an update one week ago and I doubt that a BIOS update will change anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the only driver i don't like on the list is the Nvidia drivers, oldest drivers are all from logitech and probably latest you can get still.

can't say I seen this running before but it might be normal, do you use a type c USB stick?
Dec 09 2018 UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sys NVIDIA USB Type-C Port Policy Controller driver

May 8, 2019
Try moving the swap file?

I am not sure what that is and where to find it?

the only driver i don't like on the list is the Nvidia drivers, oldest drivers are all from logitech and probably latest you can get still.

can't say I seen this running before but it might be normal, do you use a type c USB stick?
Dec 09 2018UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sysNVIDIA USB Type-C Port Policy Controller driver

No I am not using the USB Type-C Port. I can uninstall it and do some testing.

EDIT: Nope, still Bluescreen after uninstalling USB Type-C driver.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
I wasn't expecting you to try to delete it... sorry about that

No worrys, I don't use it and it will probably be installed with the next nvidia driver anyway.

Regarding the page file, I followed the guide, but it doesn't change anything with the Blue Screen issue I am having.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/uybe.html

File information:050919-9765-01.dmp (May 9 2019 - 13:19:07)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 07 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
now that is not helpful. driver verifier blaming windows?

ntkrnlmp = nt kernel multi processor. Its not likely to be a problem... windows cannot work without it.

its an unexpected result. Its possible is hardware after all. Not sure what 13th monkey will suggest next.

If it didn't only happen it games, I would suggest removing the GPU and see if you still crash, but games don't work well with ithe intel graphics. Since it only happens in games, the GPU is a prime candidate for blame.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I ran the dump and not certian but I think the troublemaker driver might be the LGBusEnum.sys.

Is that a Logitech gaming-related driver? You said BSODs happen when playing games makes it a bit more likely. Maybe it has a bug or maybe it conflicts with another driver or service.

TRENDING THREADS