Question Blue screen when restarting PC and it seems to be the memory

psychopigeon

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I have a B550 Tomahawk motherboard, and 4 sticks of ram 8GB each (all DDR4 3000,) I've been using this configuration for years and occasionally have come in to problems when restarting the PC and getting a blue screen upon windows login, but it usually sorts itself out after a couple of restarts so I just tolerate it. Recently it's gotten more stubborn and I've been having to reset the CMOS. I thought it was a bad stick, but I've tested with different configs and the only success I get is when there are only 2 sticks of ram, if I add all 4 sticks I get the blue screen when the PC tries to boot in to windows.

Is there a setting in the BIOS that I'm overlooking (I'm not familiar with the BIOS settings at all), or should I maybe buy 2x16GB in case this motherboard is picky about all 4 slots being used?

I will mention also in the BIOS it didn't have an XMP profile selected (because I had no intention to overclock)

Last edited:
I have a B550 Tomahawk motherboard, and 4 sticks of ram 8GB each (all DDR4 3000,) I've been using this configuration for years and occasionally have come in to problems when restarting the PC and getting a blue screen upon windows login, but it usually sorts itself out after a couple of restarts so I just tolerate it. Recently it's gotten more stubborn and I've been having to reset the CMOS. I thought it was a bad stick, but I've tested with different configs and the only success I get is when there are only 2 sticks of ram, if I add all 4 sticks I get the blue screen when the PC tries to boot in to windows.

Is there a setting in the BIOS that I'm overlooking (I'm not familiar with the BIOS settings at all), or should I maybe buy 2x16GB in case this motherboard is picky about all 4 slots being used?

I will mention also in the BIOS it didn't have an XMP profile selected (because I had no intention to overclock)
Cheap test......replace the bios bat.

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Are all 4 sticks from the same matched ram kit?
Running mismatched ram can cause issues. Ryzen is particularly sensitive to ram issues.

Why this shows up now, I can't tell you.