Blue Screen, Windows Installation Stops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi,

Not sure how to get around this one. Clean formatted HD fresh install of WinXP Pro.
At the point of Setup where Windows is 'Installing Devices', it shuts down at almost half the process.

I get the following Blue Screen:

Blue Screen IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0x0000000A ( 0x00000010 ), 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051AA58

I Tried SAFE Mode, and got the following Drivers loading, then stops:

\WINDOWS\system32\l_intl.nis
\WINDOWS\FONTS\vgaoem.fon
\WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf
\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ACPI.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\WMILIB.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PCI.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PCIIDEX.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\MountMgr.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Ftdisk.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\dnload.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\dnio.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PartMgr.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Volsnap.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\atapi.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Disk.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\CLASSPNP.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\dnboot.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\KSecDD.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NDIS.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Nup.sys

There is a Video Card on a PCI, nothing else.
Motherboard Drivers not yet installed.

Could it be the Video Card causing this; or am I looking at some other kind of problem?

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
SOLUTION: PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

WELLLLL..........I talked to Microsoft Technical Support!
I explained that Original XP Pro CD, AND 3 separate Bootables which I created in nLite, all behave the same way and will not allow me to progress in Setup past the point where I enter the Product Key; and that I get the message " Product Key Invalid ".
The first thing he told me was that, if this Product Key has been used more than 5 times on the same computer, this might happen. ( I said that I always install my OS CDs more than 5 times on all of my systems, because I have to do complete cleanups and reinstallations of OS and all other software; and I paid for it, so I will be doing so as many times as I need to ( on one computer ). )

The creation of Bootable XP in a Vista Machine is a separate problem, which you can work around, he said.

The next thing he told me is that he would check records:
The Product Key for this WinXP Pro CD IS VALID, and is NOT BLOCKED on their end in any way, so it SHOULD be WORKING, and allowing me to get past the Setup point where I enter the Product Key, and progress to full, normal, installation.

He said that MOST LIKELY it is a bad CD! And the problem is being duplicated by copying the CD, apparently.

( I had a bad OS CD issue with one of my systems; but it didn't stall at the product key entering phase, it did haywire stuff of all kinds. )

Now......off to see if I can find a new XP Pro CD...........

Thanks, everyone for your help!
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Thanks, Alexoiu. I will post back when I have purchased a new one.
Once a new XP is installed, I think I will save myself the endless 'made in Vista' problems, and just make the Bootable IN my husband's system. That will give me time to play with conquering the 'made in Vista' Bootable, at my leisure; and I intend to conquer this one, LOL

My husband is convinced this is a Microsoft manuever to get people to buy Windows 7 or 8, since the CD 'damage' seems to be directly affecting proceeding past entering the Product Key. He seems to think this is bizarre that all goes fine right up until this point; which is the point where you get prevented from installing WinXP.
...... Ultimately, I certainly hope he is wrong......but, then, Microsoft suddenly 'negated' the Windows XP for Refurbished Computers in February of 2012; which forced shops to buy new OEMs, or retail versions at a much higher price. And this is likely affecting quite a few non-shop individual purchases as well; with those who do not know about the Microsoft negation. In complete ignorance/innocence my husband paid $59.95 for that brand-new version ( the Refurbished computer one ) which was a total loss, because it cannot be activated as it technically no longer exists.

Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

.......hhhhmmmmm, interesting thought. IF this would work, it would verify that Microsoft is 'doing something' to keep people from using their XP. That would certainly make everyone's ears perk up, wouldn't it?

Tried with 2010 as the date.
Tried the process with Delete Partition/Create Partition/Format to NTFS, two times.
Both times I got the information that there was 'an existing operating system' on the HD, which, of course, there was NOT. After choosing to remove files ( as if there really were some files to remove ), and install in that Folder, Setup would only got to the 'installing files' stage, would progress no further both times. One time I got the same Blue Screen as before, and the second time I got a message that a certain file ( something in Windows\ie386 ) could not be loaded.

So.....I would say that it does look like a damaged WinXP CD.

I will try that later, just for the heck of it.

Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
noufarnss,

Sorry, I forgot to get back to posting the ending of this whole mess; got bogged down with backed-up work, due to this situation.
I called Microsoft and was told that my husband's original WinXP was showing up as ok/could be activated on their end; so, they agreed that it was most likely a damaged CD, which was what I had concluded as well. So, I had to do the hunt to find a new WinXP CD; finally found one, no problem whatsover with that installation.......so, that was it DAMAGED WINXP CD.

Thanks everyone,
Moonraven