Blue Screen, Windows Installation Stops

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi,

Not sure how to get around this one. Clean formatted HD fresh install of WinXP Pro.
At the point of Setup where Windows is 'Installing Devices', it shuts down at almost half the process.

I get the following Blue Screen:

Blue Screen IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0x0000000A ( 0x00000010 ), 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051AA58

I Tried SAFE Mode, and got the following Drivers loading, then stops:

\WINDOWS\system32\l_intl.nis
\WINDOWS\FONTS\vgaoem.fon
\WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf
\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ACPI.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\WMILIB.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PCI.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PCIIDEX.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\MountMgr.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Ftdisk.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\dnload.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\dnio.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\PartMgr.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Volsnap.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\atapi.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Disk.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\CLASSPNP.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\dnboot.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\KSecDD.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NDIS.sys
\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\Nup.sys

There is a Video Card on a PCI, nothing else.
Motherboard Drivers not yet installed.

Could it be the Video Card causing this; or am I looking at some other kind of problem?

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi,
A little more info on this mess:
First of all this motherboard is very quirky. It is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, which, I have been told, works best with Windows 7. It is supposed to handle Vista, and XP as well; but I don't think this board likes XP very much. I have had to install K-Lite Codec Pack, in order for it to work with XP Pro SP1 ( once I had added SP2 and SP3, and all Windows Updates. ) I have had to wipe the HD, format and fresh install WinXP Pro a number of times; but I have never had this Blue Screen and Refusal to install Windows past the 'Installing Devices' point happen before.
I used Drive Scrubber ( at the fastest level )/Formatted/ and tried to Install ( WinXP Pro SP1 ) today, and I suddenly have been getting the Blue Screen/Refusal to Install Windows.
Why would it suddenly be happening now?

There was never any suggestion that there was a HD problem or Memory problem; nor any sort of problem device or errors showing up in the system before I wiped the HD and attempted the Fresh Install.

I am not familiar with nLite or slipstreaming. If I understand you correctly, do you mean that the issue may be that SATA driver is not present, and has to be for the HD to work properly?
( This wouldn't have been any different with previous Installations, so why now? )

Is it possible to install the Mobo Drivers first, on a wiped HD; as in, before the OS?
( I have never done this, but am just curious. )

Can you give me an explanation of the nLite process?
( I am researching it, between feeding my cats, and getting dinner ready, LOL.....)

Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Slipstreaming with nLite:

I have never done this before, so have a few questions before I would tackle it:

I do not have an XP Pro system operative to work from, would nLite process of creating a bootable WinXP Pro CD, work without a problem if I do it in my Vista system as the Host?
*( I have discovered that I can do this in a Vista Host, but have not found out the exact process to do so, so far. )
I want to make a copy bootable XP CD; I do not want to alter the original itself.

Would the steps go as follows?

1) Download nLite and ISOBuster to my system ( have these on my Desktop, but have not yet installed them. )

2) Copy the XP Installation File from XP CD and save it in a folder I have created?
I have been researching this and have been finding instructions on copying and
saving to a file IF you are in an XP system. ( The instructions to save the file in C:\WinXP-CD Folder, then save SP2 into C:\WinXP-SP2, and save SP3 into
C:\WinXP-SP3 Folder. )

???? As I am in a Vista system, I obviously do not want to save these things directly into my Vista Windows Folders; and of course, these Folders the instructions say to use, do not exist in a Vista system. How do I copy and save these XP files without them affecting my Vista system? What kind of Folder do I need to create to do this?

3) The XP Pro is SP1 2002, but I have no way to discover if it is actually SP1a.
Some instructions say that I have to install SP1a, then SP2, before I can install SP3. Some instructions are saying I can directly install SP3.
Which do I need to do?

4) Someone also said that it is necessary to download and copy WGA, Windows Genuine Advantage file to your bootable CD. Is this true? If so, where do I get that file?

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Hi Alexoiu,

Are you saying I can just copy the necessary files into a Folder of any name I create ( such as one I create and put on my Desktop, for example; that I do not have to copy them into a Windows Folder, since I am in Vista and copying XP? ( I understand that I have to put them in the specifically-mentioned Windows folder in the Bootable XP CD I create, of course; and can delete them once the CD is burned. )

F6: I have never installed SATA drivers in this way because I have no RAID Array; just one HD.
I have no specific driver from the manufacturer; just whatever is resident in WinXP Pro and on the Mobo CD. With previous installations, I have just installed XP, then the Mobo Drivers/Utilities, then the Video Card Drivers/Utilities and K-Lite Codec Pack; this method was fine, no problems, up until this time.

I also did testing with reseating Memory, changing positions of Memory, while keeping both together. None of this made any difference in the Blue Screen.

What is the reason this Blue Screen/refusal to install XP has showed up for the first time, now; when it never did with previous installs on this system? Does that fact suggest possible Memory or Hard Drive problems?

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Hi,

These are the current BIOS Settings:

InChip SATA Controller ( AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3_0-SATA3_5 connectors )
Enables or Disables integrated SATA Controller
( ( Default: Enabled ) )

OnChip SATA Type ( AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3_0-SATA_3 connectors
Configures opening mode of the integrated SATA2_0-SATA2_3 Controller
( ( Default: Native IDE ) Allows SATA Controller to operate in Native IDE mode )
Other options are RAID and AHCI

OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type (AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3_4/SATA3_5 Connectors
Configurable only if OnChip SATA Type is set to RAID or ACHI. Configures operating mode of
SATA2_4/SATA2_5 Connectors
( IDE ( Default ) ) Disables RAID for the SATA Controller and configures the SATA Controller to PATA mode.

OnChip SATA RAID5 Support (AMD SB950 South Bridge, SATA3_0-SATA3_5 Connectors
Enables or Disables RAID5 Support for SATA Controller integrated in the AMD SB950 South Bridge
Default: Enabled

OnChip SATA3.0 Support
Enables or Disables SATA 6Gbs function integrated in the AMD SB950 South Bridge.
When Disabled the Controller will operate in SATA 3Gbs mode.
( Default: Enabled )

Port0 as ESP/Port1 as ESP/Port2 as ESP/Port3 as ESP
Available if OnChip SATA Type is set to AHCI. Enabled it will speed up hot plug detection of SATA Device. ( Default: Disabled )

Port4 as ESP/Port5 as ESP
Available only when OnChip SATA Type is set to ACHI, and OnChip SATA Type Port4/5 is set to As SATA Type. Enabled it will speed up hot plug connection of SATA Device.
( Default: Disabled )

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Hi ALexoiu,

Ok, going to tackle it shortly.

Thanks,
Moonraven

Ok, I created a Folder on my Desktop, which I named 'Bootable XP Pro SP3 Files', and used nLite to copy XP CD; then I added WinXP SP3, and Windows Genuine Advantage to the Integrated Bootable.

Now, I am stuck because I can see no options in ISObuster to burn what is in this folder to CD.
( It appears to want to find things on C/Hard Drive here in my Vista Laptop. I cannot find any way to make it get the Folder I need to burn to CD. )

What other program could I use?

I could not figure out how to add the Mobo Drivers from the Mobo CD. nLite has the 'Drivers' area, but you have to paste individual drivers in that window; nLite does not go and find them. When the Mobo CD runs, you can make choices to install, but clicking on the choices on the menu causes them to automatically begin to install, and I don't want it to install on my Laptop.

I named the folder on my Desktop, where all the integration stuff went, 'Bootable XP Pro with SP3 Files'; but before I burn it to a CD, do I have to rename the folder or create specific C folders and move the WGA and SP3 files into them?
( Some instructions I have been reading say that nLite just does it all on its own. Other instructions say that you have to put the OS image in a specific Windows Folder, and the SP3 into a specific Folder ( create it ). Is this only if you are putting the SP3 or other things you want to slipsteam directly onto your original OS CD? I am a bit confused about the things I have been reading. )

UPDATE:
I am trying Burn Aware. Easy, seamless drag and drop files I wanted to burn.
I can't figure out what it is doing after I hit 'Burn'. There should be some indicator for this/progress. Seems to be taking a long time. The 'Burn Button' has just turned from 'Burn' to 'Simulate'; which should be the final step before opening the CD Drive.

Thanks,
Moonraven

Hi, In nLite you should select Service Pack, Drivers and bootable ISO.
For drivers, download and extract the
AMD SATA RAID/AHCI Driver (Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)
from http://www.gigabyte.com.ro/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908#dl
Click Insert on the nLite window and point to the extracted folder.
In the bootable iso menu, under general mode tab expand the menu and choose burn, not create image.

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
That is what I did in nLite ( Bootable ISO, copied XP, added SP; but I could not find a way to make nLite find the Drivers. Only thing I did differently, is that I selected 'Create Image'; so that was most likely my problem.
I have no Floppy Drives, so cannot get Drivers into an F6.
Thanks for the link. I have the SATA RAID/AHCI Driver saved on my Desktop. It is nearly 3:00 AM, so I will try the nLite Bootable after a bit of sleep.

I am, however, beginning to get suspicious that the Hard Drive is the culprit in this scenario. I have had Installation problems with a failing Hard Drive more than once over the years.
I am also beginning to be suspicious of using Drive Scrubber more than once on any Hard Drive; and this one has had far too many wipes.

The hanging Setup which would not progress past 'Installing Devices', and would not allow me to get back to the beginning point, suddenly did allow me to start all over......when I held down F8; which is a first. I deleted partition, created it again, formatted to NTFS and began the Installation. This time it crawled before it got to the 'Installing Devices' stage. After long time, I got the following error windows:

'Setup had problems registering the following OLE Control DLL:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\initpki.dll

The Signature for Windows XP Professional Setup is invalid.
Error Code 80096001
A system-level error occurred while verifying trust.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs.'

I think I am looking at a dying Hard Drive.
But.....will try nLite process one more time.

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi,
Made Bootable, chose Bootable, copied XP, added SP3, added Mobo Driver for 32-bt, and Windows Genuine Advantage, chose 'Bootable ISO in General. Selected Direct Burn. Completed successfully.
Windows installed perfectly right up to the point where I had to enter the Product Key.......and it said it was not valid. This IS the valid product key!

( Since all I had onhand was CD-R, I cannot add anything to the Bootable if I have to add something else; which would mean I would have to do the whole process all over again. )

So, what do I do now???

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi,

No, it was exact. Tried 3x. I also tried to get it to continue without entering the product key, which I know some people are able to do, but this was not possible.

Decided to check i386\UNATTEND on the Bootable. It has a totally different product key. I am now going through the install again, and will try to enter THAT product key and see what happens.

( I assumed the Bootable would have the SAME product key in UNATTEND. )
???And, how does nLite get a new product key, or does this particular SP3 file
do it ???

Will let you know if it worked. If it does wondering now about the Activation Process.......will that go off without a hitch with the Bootable Key????

WELLLL.........neither orginal product key, or the different one in the bootable works, each try I get "Product Key is not valid". I cannot bypass this step.

Back to the research..........

OK, more Microsoft Horrors!!!! Researching, I discovered that when you create a WinXPSP3 Bootable in Host using Vista; although it will boot, your product keys will not be recognized. Microsoft has been aware of this for years.
I have seen that one person has modified the created ISO Bootable CD file ( D:\XPSP3\windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe-x ) by tacking on the following:
:d:\xpsp3. Supposedly works for that person.

I guess this means I have to create a new ISO Bootable, try to locate this file ( or whatever my file is, if different ) and try altering it.

ANY OTHER IDEAS ON THIS ONE???

I have to take a break and get out of here for awhile.......be back at it again later tonight.

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
My research has made it clear that in order to get product key accepted on an XP Bootable CD which is being created in a Vista machine, you must copy your old setupp.ini file over the new one. You must be logged in to Administrator Account, or be able to 'run as Administrator', supposedly ( I am in Administrator Account ).
I found Microsoft's solution, which was given in relation to people using Volume Licensing Version of XP . I am not sure if this applies to Retail, or OEM (which I am using in this instance ). MS states that you should be using RC1 build (3264) of the SP3 ( which was probably the latest at the time this topic was being addressed on their Forum? ).
They say to integrate, do the following:

windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-xxx.exe, execute as: windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-xxx.exe /x

I have also seen the following, which has worked for people:

c:\XPSP3\windowsxp-kb93629-sp3-x86-enu.exe -x:c:\xpsp3 ( some have used this with D pointing to CD Drive, instead of C )

Others have used this one and had it work:

d:\SP3\i386\update\update.exe -s:d\xp\

MY PROBLEM NOW:

I am in the middle of my nLite job, am using a CD-RW this time; OS, SP3 and mobo drivers are all in the folder I created for my Bootable. I have not created Image yet, could still add whatever is needed.

HOW DO I GET THIS SOLUTION into my Bootable? Should I add ( whatever it is ) to the compilation BEFORE I create Image, OR put it on the CD AFTER it is burned?

( The folder I have created for my Bootable is 'REY XP3 BOOT' and is on my Desktop, rather than in C in my Vista machine. )

Do I point it to the folder on my Desktop before going further in the nLite process, or should I point it to D ( my CD drive where the target CD will be after it has been burned??? )

I did not intentionally add the smilies that are popping up, now have to see if I can figure out why that is happening.

Thanks,
Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Add this exactly how and where in nLite?

Moonraven

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Thanks.....I didn't see that there was a place to do this in nLite.
Ok, made a new Bootable CD-RW; and I added in the Product Key.
It booted up, but jumped straight into trying to finish the Setup; not giving me the option to delete partition/create partition/format.....so, I rebooted with the original XP Pro CD so that I could delete partition/create partition/format ( in case there was still something remaining from the old installation attempt ).
( On initial try to install with this new Bootable, all went well until it came to Product Key step; I typed it in and it still said 'Product Key is invalid'; which is why I am doing the delete/create/format thing again. )

I will edit and add to this post after I see what happens.......

Moonraven

I am going to try to use the new Bootable after the formatting is done, to see if it will work.
NO, of course that didn't work either! Tried the Boot CD twice after the Delete/Create/Format Partition sequence.
1) First try it went to the point where it tries to start Windows, hanging for a bit, then Blue Screen:
STOP: 0X0000008E, ( 0XC0000006, 0X809054A5, 0XF6FD791C, 0X00000000 )

2) Rebooted and tried again: NTLDR is missing is the message I got this time!

OK, Original CD does not work past the Product Key entry rejection, AND the latest Boot CD I made also will not work.
Apparently, adding the Product Key in nLIte does not fix the rejection issue.

I HAVE TO GET THIS SYSTEM UP AND RUNNING, my husband is freaking out since I have been fighting this Product Key Invalid issue since August 6th!

Moonraven

The key might simply not be the real one.
Not sure how to get past this issue.
Maybe buying a Win7 DVD ?
Something not very expensive, like Home Premium?
Or asking a local shop for helping you in installing the system?
Or, if Vista available, install Vista on it.

Moonraven

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

I have years of experience configuring, building systems, and installing Windows and all programs ( although this is my first use of nLite to make a Bootable CD; as I have never had to DO this before ). I designed and built this system for my husband. He has expensive Video Editing, Karaoke, Music Editing programs for XP; it is for that reason that XP Pro is being used on this mobo ( which would run best with Win7, in my opinion ).
The WEIRD thing, is that this system with all the exact SAME installed hardware, and this same XP Pro CD HAS BEEN INSTALLED QUITE A FEW TIMES WITH NO PROBLEMS! WEIRD is WHY is it NOT accepting the Product Key THIS time????

I AM suspicious that the Hard Drive may be damaged, from using Drive Scrubber too many times.
If it is, WHY would the Product Key being 'Invalid' be the ONLY problem I am encountering??? Twilight Zone.......

The 'creating Bootable XP CD' in a Vista machine is ANOTHER issue; which would not be related to the Original XP Pro CD Product Key suddenly showing up as 'Invalid".

I am going to try to see if I can talk to someone at the Microsoft Activation Center.
I greatly appreciate your help, Alexsoiu, in any case!

I will keep posting what I find out, what I try, etc.

Moonraven