Blue Screen (windows will not start ) Ram upgrade problems

Asternine

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
So i got some new ram for my desktop and after installing it i was able to log into windows, put my password in and boot into the window 7 desktop. I went to properties under the my computer section and noticed that it detected my 20 gb of ram ( new - 2x8gb ddr3 1600 and old- 2x2gb ddr3)
after being able to hit refresh on the desktop screen for about 10m i went to get a class of water and then noticed the screen had gone to a blue screen. After rebooting my pc i was not able to boot windows, i have tried useing only my old ram 4x2gb, only one stick of ram 1x2gb and useing only one stick of the new stuff 1x8gb of ram and have had no luck booting into window. I looked at the manual and according to in i am using the right slots.

ga-970a-d3 motherboard which is rated for 32gb of ram.

if anyone is able to help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
form sunny florida!

stdragon

Admirable
If you haven't done so already, go ahead and leave your old RAM installed prior to the upgrade. Then update the BIOS firmware to the latest revision for your motherboard model. If you update while still using the new RAM, it could corrupt the BIOS firmware as it's being written. Needless to say, that's a bad situation.

In any case, it's universally accepted to not mix different brands and spec-ed RAM together for the very same reason. It's best to replace all RAM in the system at once unless you've got identical matching sticks. So at the least, just leave only the new sticks of RAM installed and take out the old.

To test that the RAM is working properly, look into creating a bootable USB flashdrive with a copy of Memtest86 (free edition) installed.

https://www.memtest86.com/

Asternine

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

if i understood you correctly you want me to

download the new bios to a flashdrive and install it to the pc? useing the old ram?

then if it starts working i should swap the old ram and only use the new ram and download that program?

stdragon

Admirable

Yes. Following the procedures on how to update the BIOS per the vendors instructions. However use the old RAM when performing this task; because at least you know it was working properly before.

After the BIOS is updated, then go ahead and remove the old RAM and install the new in it's place. Now it's time to run a confidence test to ensure it's all working properly. Memtest86 is such a utility to do this.

Asternine

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
jhqmso

i have installed the new bios and tried runnin the pc with the new bios useing old ram and got no results.
as well as running the pc with new ram and no results.