Blue Screen with LSI Raid Controller

WoodyTX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I have an older Intel S3210SHLX motherboard with a HighPoint 2310 RAID card, running four 500GB drives in a RAID5 array. The OS is WHS2011, and everything is fine, except that I'm running out of room.

To upgrade, I now have four 4TB drives connected to a used LSI 9240-8i, purchased off of eBay. The drives are in a RAID10 configuration, and have successfully been slow initialized and GPT formatted. This is in addition to the OS drive and the HighPoint RAID array. The power supply is a Corsair Gold AX750, which should have plenty of headroom, even with nine HDDs.

(Yes, I acknowledge that I should have gone with 2TB drives, which could have been connected directly into the motherboard, and used the Intel 9CHR chip to manage.)

The system runs fine, and has initialized and formatted the drives, and can run a consistency check on them, although it takes days to complete. There are no errors cropping up from the new hardware.

However, when I am transferring data to the new array, it consistently moves between 20 and 30GB of data, then blue-screens with a 0xD1 (Driver IRQL) error, pointing at the megasas2.sys. The BSOD parameter numbers are all identical.

I've run diagnostics on it through megacli, with a 0x00 exit code (OK). The drives don't show any SMART errors.

A remote temperature gun shows 60C on the back of the chip when transferring data. I can't get a good angle on the front of the chip, but the heatsink shows about 68-70C when transferring data. Is this too hot?

I've considered rebuilding the system with a Server 2008 r2 license I have handy, since WHS2011 was never 'certified' with the LSI cards, but that seems excessive. (The drivers install without a hiccup, though.)

Any thoughts or other approaches? Am I overtaxing my old (but powerful) power supply? Do I have a bad card? Should I just say 'frag it' and buy a new server?

WoodyTX

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I gave up on it, and went with setting up two of the drives as a Dynamic Mirror from inside the OS. I figure 4TB is a lot of headroom compared with 1.5TB, and I can just set up additional mirrors if I want to ensure data integrity from here out. It's not optimal, but it's inexpensive.