[SOLVED] Blue-screening (mostly on idle) ?

Apr 10, 2021
So I've been getting major blue screens over the last month on my 6 year old gaming rig. It's happening mostly on idle when I'm either sleeping or eating. Error was iqrl, which to my understanding is a driver issue. Sometimes I would go days or even weeks without crashes. I can't deal with the blue screening anymore, it's driving me crazy. The mini dump is still claiming I'm getting an irql error so I downloaded a dump analyzer (WinDbg) and that analysis in the dump says that it's afd.sys. Upon research from my understanding, afd is network driver (?) within w10s OS....I tried nearly EVERYTHING. I reinstalled all my network drivers, GPU, WLAN, sound, chipset drivers and all my device drivers like my mouse and keyboard, headset and finally my mic so all the drivers are freshly installed and updated. I still get bsod. Decided to run system memory tests and everything came out fine. I even tried restoring the health of windows and fixed all the errors in the system check with the following cmds...

sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
chkdsk /scan

Still I'm blue screening. I decided to run the windows 10 driver verification. Blue screened INSTANTLY upon windows login. After hours and hours of testing and removing drivers I finally booted to desktop and let driver verification run over night with my mouse, keyboard, mic, and headset (3.5mm) plugged in. Woke up to no crashes. Im stumped on the issue. I've had this happen since December of 2020 but like I previously mentioned sometimes i would go days or even weeks without crashes. Only hardware change was the Corsair k100 keyboard and a Hyperx Quadcast mic. For years I have been using HWINFO64 combined with msi afterburner to monitor temps and run a custom fan curve so overheating to my knowledge is not the issue as my cpu never touches 60c and gpu hovers around 70-75c on load. I'm trying not to have to reformat as i did that in December thinking it would solve my issue, but if it's needed I will. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Dump file - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_6tHxowiygqSkmlNckwlPYufz6jOhWpE/view?usp=sharing

Specs

Intel i7 5820k - running stock settings
Corsair h100i AIO
Gigabyte X99 UD4 - running current bios from manufacturers site
Crucial ddr4 x4 8gb ram
Crucial mx100 512gb SSD
Western Digital Black 4tb HDD
Corsair AXI SERIES AX1200I 1200W PSU
Nvidia GTX 1070ti

Last edited:
Solution
Microsoft Windows Ancillary function driver for Winsock
lan drivers normally

if it keeps blaming new drivers each time, I would look at ram as cause as it will blame perfectly good drivers if it is bad
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

I have asked a friend to convert dumps, he will post later

Colif

Win 11 Master
lan drivers normally

if it keeps blaming new drivers each time, I would look at ram as cause as it will blame perfectly good drivers if it is bad
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Reactions: Renkou
Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/jk0wLe74/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:041821-10781-01.dmp (Apr 18 2021 - 21:07:03)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)

Comments:
  • The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)
  • BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Renkou
Apr 10, 2021
lan drivers normally

Thank you very much, I will run memtest as the next step

Colif

Win 11 Master
this seems excessive
Aug 14 2014vbaudio_cable64_win7.sysVB Virtual Audio Device driver https://www.vb-audio.com/
Oct 19 2015vbaudio_cablea64_win7.sysVB Virtual Audio Device driver
Oct 19 2015vbaudio_cableb64_win7.sysVB Virtual Audio Device driver
Jan 12 2019vbaudio_vmauxvaio64_win10.sysVoiceMeeter Aux Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO) driver
Jan 12 2019vbaudio_vmvaio364_win10.sysVAIO VB-Audio Virtual Device driver
Jan 12 2019vbaudio_vmvaio64_win10.sysVoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO) driver

maybe reinstall Voicemeeter?

not sure you need it 3 times.
which bios version are you on?
Gigabyte X99 UD4
is it rev 1 or 1.1 of the motherboard? Since bios info missing from dump, I don't know.

I see both internet drivers are Intel, This might update it - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Apr 10, 2021
this seems excessive
Aug 14 2014vbaudio_cable64_win7.sysVB Virtual Audio Device driver https://www.vb-audio.com/
Oct 19 2015vbaudio_cablea64_win7.sysVB Virtual Audio Device driver
Oct 19 2015vbaudio_cableb64_win7.sysVB Virtual Audio Device driver

Jan 12 2019vbaudio_vmauxvaio64_win10.sysVoiceMeeter Aux Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter AUX VAIO) driver
Jan 12 2019vbaudio_vmvaio364_win10.sysVAIO VB-Audio Virtual Device driver
Jan 12 2019vbaudio_vmvaio64_win10.sysVoiceMeeter Input (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO) driver

maybe reinstall Voicemeeter?

not sure you need it 3 times.
which bios version are you on?

is it rev 1 or 1.1 of the motherboard? Since bios info missing from dump, I don't know.

I see both internet drivers are Intel, This might update it - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

Hi thanks for the reply, I previously reinstalled voicemeter because I noticed that too, but I also noticed when you install voice meter it gives you a series of cables to use with the software hence why you're seeing multiple of the VB audio cable. I have multiple cables installed. The three underneath it are the auxiliary outputs that are installed along with voice meter. I'm a streamer and I use voice meter to separate my audio channels and control the decibels per driver as I have multiple audio tracks that each handle audio drivers like music, game play, comms, ETC. This was the only logical way to pull audio away from the PC audio driver and place them on their own so everything isn't crammed on one. I've tried running the computer without voice meter installed and still yield the exact same issue.

The bios that are running are current (f24c) on the gigabyte manufacturer website. Also all drivers have been updated so they're most current. I also I did a meme test 84 on my RAM sticks and it came back with no errors.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't seem logical to need 3 drivers just because it uses 3 cables. Surely 1 driver could do all 3... I don't know if its right as I don't use the program.

if you get any BSOD, give us the dump files.

run the intel updater

Apr 10, 2021
Well each audio cable is it's own audio driver and allows me to separately control Spotify, discord, games, pc, and capture card sounds between my stream and my speakers . By default discord, Spotify and the games I run are all tied to the windows audio driver (my realtek). Example is if I want to turn my music up and my game sounds down on my headset/speakers, I may do so without affecting my streams audio (they hear the predefined decibel level regardless of how high i turn the volume up) . If I used only one cable and tied those programs to the one, the volume of all tied would be lowered vs them individually. I hope I explained it properly. If any more bsod arise I will post. So far as of my first post on Sunday I have not blue screened.

P.S. I spoke with my buddy who built this rig with me and have decided to just upgrade the ram.

Cheers