Blue screens after installing new GPU

GeraltJones

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey everyone.

Have a bit of a strange issue with my PC currently. I was running a GTX 480 along with 12GB ram for several years and it was rock solid with no issues - I don't remember ever having a blue screen with it. I recently installed an R9 270X as the 480 bit the dust and suddenly I started to get BSODs relating to atikmdag.sys and ntoskrnl.exe, among others (win32k.sys, ntfs.sys, wdf01000.sys).

Tried different drivers for the GPU and resat everything, as the atikmdag seemed like a GPU driver/hardware issue. Anyway, I finally tried removing a stick of ram to see if it made any difference and miraculously it seems to have fixed the issue. I was running 3x4GB DDR3 sticks. I know it won't work in triple channel, but it never bothered me.

My question is simply what could be causing it? It seems awfully strange that a stick of ram would suddenly break as soon as I put in a new GPU. I can't really test with the old GPU anymore, but I was wondering if anything else could be causing it to not work with 3 installed, just in case there's a way to fix it.

Other specs (nothing OC'd):
i5 4590
MSI Z97M-G43 motherboard
Currently 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

BIOS is unchanged from default values, but I updated it to the latest version just in case.

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention that these BSODs have only ever happened when gaming. I assume it must be something to do with memory usage getting high.