[SOLVED] Blue Screens of Death everywhere!

• Thread starter Deleted member 44897
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 44897

On this PC I built early last year, I've been encountering random BSOD's for about two months.

I'm a casual PC user; I don't overclock or stress my PC components. (The only event close is having stopped the CPU fan briefly to isolate an incessant case fan noise).

Here are the usual BSOD messages I see:
~ IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
~ SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
~ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

(...among a few others)

There are the events from which I've encountered these BSOD's:
~ Playing an MP3 in Groove Music
~ Backing up my Win10 personal folder (50+ GB) on an external SSD (BSOD every time over 10+ attempts)
~ Performing a Google search in Firefox
~ Even encountered a BSOD during Windows 10 reinstall!
~ One non-BSOD event involved prolonged OS lagging (one minute) and a system freeze

During one specific instance, a BSOD trapped into a boot loop I couldn't resolve. Attempting any of the [Advanced Options] for a system repair resulted in "something went wrong" or "we couldn't fix/couldn't do that". Of course not! Thanks, Windows.

Note: These BSOD's don't occur while the PC is idle.

Here are my troubleshooting steps:
~ Reinstalling windows with current and older AMD chipset driver (BSOD even occurs on fresh installation)
~ DOS diagnostic commands (SCANNOW, DISM, CHKDSK, etc.)
~ Microsoft Safety Scanner (no errors)
~ Windows Update review (updates current and unable to determine a faulty update)
~ Verified no faulty hardware drivers

Nothing major has occurred to cause these to suddenly appear two months ago.
How are these happening so frequently, and why is it a different error each time? I fail to understand Windows 10 being so "user friendly", but the errors are still displayed in technical jargon.

Apparently, these are software/driver related. Could they be hardware related? (I hope not.)

I cannot think of any other troubleshooting method short of removing my PC from the room and throwing it in the trash, and starting over with new parts. Sarcasm aside, however -- I already have a new M.2 SSD and memory sticks in an online vendor's shopping cart ready to order if necessary.

In all honesty, I've researched extensively to my comprehension, and I'm completely stumped. This is one of those things that affects me psychologically -- that I can't be bothered to start a project because my OS is crippled. I wish this were a known issue that's "going around" and there's a fix -- but I highly doubt it.

Can anyone provide insight and give me further ideas on how to resolve this? Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
On this PC I built early last year, I've been encountering random BSOD's for about two months.

I'm a casual PC user; I don't overclock or stress my PC components. (The only event close is having stopped the CPU fan briefly to isolate an incessant case fan noise).

~ IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
~ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

(...among a few others)

~ Backing up my Win10 personal folder (50+ GB) on an external SSD (BSOD every time over 10+ attempts)
~ One...

~ IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
~ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

(...among a few others)

~ One non-BSOD event involved prolonged OS lagging (one minute) and a system freeze

During one specific instance, a BSOD trapped into a boot loop I couldn't resolve. Attempting any of the [Advanced Options] for a system repair resulted in "something went wrong" or "we couldn't fix/couldn't do that". Of course not! Thanks, Windows.

Note: These BSOD's don't occur while the PC is idle.

Here are my troubleshooting steps:
~ Reinstalling windows with current and older AMD chipset driver (BSOD even occurs on fresh installation)
~ DOS diagnostic commands (SCANNOW, DISM, CHKDSK, etc.)
~ Microsoft Safety Scanner (no errors)
~ Windows Update review (updates current and unable to determine a faulty update)
~ Verified no faulty hardware drivers

Nothing major has occurred to cause these to suddenly appear two months ago.
How are these happening so frequently, and why is it a different error each time? I fail to understand Windows 10 being so "user friendly", but the errors are still displayed in technical jargon.

Apparently, these are software/driver related. Could they be hardware related? (I hope not.)

I cannot think of any other troubleshooting method short of removing my PC from the room and throwing it in the trash, and starting over with new parts. Sarcasm aside, however -- I already have a new M.2 SSD and memory sticks in an online vendor's shopping cart ready to order if necessary.

In all honesty, I've researched extensively to my comprehension, and I'm completely stumped. This is one of those things that affects me psychologically -- that I can't be bothered to start a project because my OS is crippled. I wish this were a known issue that's "going around" and there's a fix -- but I highly doubt it.

Can anyone provide insight and give me further ideas on how to resolve this? Thank you very much in advance.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

And the AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, and enable XMP Settings. Save and Exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

Solution
D

Deleted member 44897

Thank you for the prompt response.

One question: what exactly is a GPU driver DDU? Under which category do I find this?

I just want to be able to follow the instructions clearly and thoroughly. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 44897

Thanks again for your response and the clarification.

Hey, a sudden observation. I just ran a memory test in Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and MemTest86. WMDT detected no errors, but MemTest86 reported errors up in the thousands.

Could this be a clear culprit, and I've found the fix?

D

Deleted member 44897

I believe I ran it with XMP. In other words, I didn't change any MemTest86 settings before running the test.
(For some reason, I'm not able to Quote in my messages.)

D

Deleted member 44897

In the BIOS, I disabled XMP (default option was Auto). On reboot, I confirmed that BIOS listed the factory speed of 2666 Mhz.

In MemTest86, I ran another test. (There, it still shows "XMP 3200 Mhz"). I still encountered.

Then I swapped the memory sticks between slots. Ran the MemTest again and received errors.

In the BIOS, I disabled XMP (default option was Auto). On reboot, I confirmed that BIOS listed the factory speed of 2666 Mhz.

In MemTest86, I ran another test. (There, it still shows "XMP 3200 Mhz"). I still encountered.

Then I swapped the memory sticks between slots. Ran the MemTest again and received errors.
if you booted to windows and see the speed is running on 2666, then it should be the stock. i would prefer to test the ram sticks using TestMem5 using anta777 extreme config.

D

Deleted member 44897

(I was going to post an update here.)

After testing both sticks at the same time in both slots, I removed one stick. Rerunning a MemTest, the stick that's in place yields 0 errors.

I've never used the app you mentioned, but just in case, I will give that a try.

7:50AM EDIT:

When I returned to the operating system, I did another full hard drive back up (per my original post where a BSOD was regularly encountered). I did a backup three times with no occurrence of BSOD's.

(I was going to post an update here.)

After testing both sticks at the same time in both slots, I removed one stick. Rerunning a MemTest, the stick that's in place yields 0 errors.

I've never used the app you mentioned, but just in case, I will give that a try.

7:50AM EDIT:

When I returned to the operating system, I did another full hard drive back up (per my original post where a BSOD was regularly encountered). I did a backup three times with no occurrence of BSOD's.
Then it could be the cause of the ram XMP. usually i increase the SOC Voltage or DVID Voltage to 1.15v, dram volt to 1.4v while xmp on, and loosen up the timings and sub timings if it didnt help with the errors.

D

Deleted member 44897

Then it could be the cause of the ram XMP. usually i increase the SOC Voltage or DVID Voltage to 1.15v, dram volt to 1.4v while xmp on, and loosen up the timings and sub timings if it didnt help with the errors.

I'm very relieved to have quite possibly eliminated this. As I said, I've never experienced anything like this in Windows 10 until a few months ago. Thank you for your help!

I've just placed an order for two new RAM sticks: The traditional 8GB x 2 with slightly faster timings. (I didn't need this current 32GB anyway!) I'm very pleased. :)

D

Deleted member 44897

so now you already bought new 2x16gb pair? or another 2x8 pair? what speed and what timings (or just tell what ram it is).

I usually use G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB x 2. For some reason, last year, I thought I could benefit from a 32GB pair (DDR4-3200 16GB x 2, listed in signature). All the while, I considered this overkill anyway.

I just placed an order for G.Skill DDR4-3200 8GB x 2 with timings of 15-15-15-35, I believe (compared to, from what I recall in my usual pair, 16-?-?-38).

I'm really excited to have a fully functional system again with brand new RAM. 😊

I usually use G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB x 2. For some reason, last year, I thought I could benefit from a 32GB pair (DDR4-3200 16GB x 2, listed in signature). All the while, I considered this overkill anyway.

I just placed an order for G.Skill DDR4-3200 8GB x 2 with timings of 15-15-15-35, I believe (compared to, from what I recall in my usual pair, 16-?-?-38).

I'm really excited to have a fully functional system again with brand new RAM. 😊
if it's a samsung b-die, then it should be ok ish. this is my friend's timing using 2 different ram but luckily he got both using hynix CJR, we increase the frequency to 3600mhz and tightened the timing, increase dram voltage to 1.4v, and soc voltage (or dvid soc) to 1.15v. His ram and IMC is pretty strong, since he bought it since skylake era. Here's the timing and the results:
unknown.png
unknown.png

It is advisable that you did all the advise i told, while waiting for the new rams.

D

Deleted member 44897

if it's a samsung b-die, then it should be ok ish.
It is advisable that you did all the advise i told, while waiting for the new rams.

It's clear that you're much more experienced than I am. I'm not an expert, but I'm highly experienced and capable of making good decisions. I'm thankful for your knowledge and instruction.

Per my comprehension, I exercised all diagnostic processes my patience and attention span could possibly tolerate. I agree with adequate research before action, but the MemTest error report was the evidence I chose in moving forward.

This memory incident is very rare for me. I've always had solid results with new RAM, with the exception of this one particular incident. I've never felt the need to adjust numbers or voltage to get it to work as advertised.

After all, when I removed that one stick, the BSOD's just completely stopped after several runs of one of the functions described in my original post. If they come back, then I'll know better, come back here and investigate further.

I'd willingly exercise the instructions you provided. I just made the decision to replace the RAM altogether in accordance to my comfort zone and how I've conditioned myself.

I hope you understand. 😊

Reactions: Koekieezz